This one is a little different. Here's someone taking a school rivalry with a fellow student way too far.

Arson At Martial Arts Studio: Bolingbrook Man Charged, Bond Set
28-year-old Andrew Wagner is accused of breaking into a Naperville martial arts studio and setting a fire that destroyed the building.
Eileen O'Gorman's profile picture
Eileen O'Gorman, Patch Staff
Verified Patch Staff Badge
Posted Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:59 pm CT

Andrew Wagner's bond was set at $400,000 for two felonies and one misdemeanor. (Naperville Police Department)
NAPERVILLE, IL A 28-year-old Bolingbrook man is accused of setting fire to a Naperville martial arts studio where he used to be a student, according to police.

On March 26, Naperville police responded to an alarm at United Martial Arts studio at 1260 Chicago Avenue. Naperville Fire Department also arrived to find the building engulfed in flames. Fire officials said the smoke and fire damage left the building "uninhabitable."

Police identified a former student of the studio, Andrew Wagner, as the accused arsonist. Wagner was voluntarily interviewed by Naperville police and taken into custody on April 6.

Further investigation found that Wagner broke into the studio and used an accelerant to strengthen the fire, according to DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin.

"Thankfully, no one was present at the studio when he allegedly started the fire and no patrons in any of the adjacent businesses were injured," Berlin said.

Wagner's bond is set at $400,000. The Red Bud Court resident is charged with two arson-related felonies and one misdemeanor count of criminal damage to property for allegedly throwing a brick several times at the passenger window of a parked vehicle owned by a former classmate. The State's Attorney's office did not specify if the misdemeanor and felony charges are related.

Naperville Chief of Police Robert Marshall said he hopes residents feel they are getting their questions on the incident answered.

"Based on the serious nature with the crime of arson that occurred in this incident, it was important for the safety of the community to find out what happened," Marshall said.

Wagner's next court appearance is scheduled for May 5.