Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted Martial Artists

Martial arts instructor charged over deadly ricin letters sent to Obama after Elvis impersonator claims he was 'framed' by him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ramed-him.html

You know a TKD Elvis impersonator is fake...

Real Elvis impersonators practice Kenpo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    What style did he teach? Anyone know more about the martial arts side of the story?
    I posted a link to this story on the Boston Marathon Bombings thread last week because it was mentioned previously there. I thought about posting it here but I generally don't do double posts as there's plenty of that already. Nevertheless, I'm glad you mentioned it here too, rett, as it certainly has its place here.

Weird story.

No bond for martial arts instructor charged with sending ricin letters

James Everett Dutschke of Tupelo, Miss., has been arrested, accused of sending letters containing deadly ricin addressed to President Obama and a senator. He has feuded with Paul Kevin Curtis, who was charged with the crime and later released. NBC's Pete Williams reports.
    By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News

A judge declined to set bond Monday for a Mississippi martial arts instructor charged with sending poisoned letters to President Barack Obama and other government officials.

Prosecutors said they believed James Everett Dutschke was dangerous and a flight risk, according to NBC affiliate WTVA.

Dutschke was arrested Saturday morning at his home in Tupelo and charged with attempted use of a biological weapon — the poison ricin, which authorities say turned up in letters to the president, a senator and a Mississippi judge.

The arrest was the latest bizarre twist in the case. Authorities first arrested another man, an Elvis impersonator named Paul Kevin Curtis, who frequently writes to Congress and who has a longstanding feud with Dutschke. Charges against Curtis were dropped.

Curtis says he was framed. He has said Dutschke snubbed him after showing interest in publishing his book on a black market for body parts. Curtis also acknowledged posting a fake Mensa certificate online as part of a trap he set for Dutschke.

Law enforcement officials said they found traces of ricin after searching Dutschke’s home, business and cars. Dutschke has said that he is a patriotic American, holds no grudges and didn’t do it.

“I wouldn’t recognize ricin if I saw it,” he told reporters last week. “Would you?”

Dutschke, 41, who earlier this month pledged not guilty to two child molestation charges, faces life in prison if he is convicted on the ricin charge.

Paul Kevin Curtis speaks to reporters last week in Oxford, Miss.

Besides Obama, the ricin letters were sent to Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., and to Judge Sadie Holland of Lee County, Miss. The letters to Obama and Wicker were intercepted at screening facilities. Holland’s letter reached her, but she was unharmed.

“Boy, I must be important,” she joked to The Clarion-Ledger newspaper of Jackson. “I’m right up there with the president and Senator Wicker, huh?”

Ricin is made from castor beans and can kill, but an FBI agent testified in court that the ricin in the letters was crude and not very potent, and looked like castor beans ground in a blender.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on the Elvis impersonator

It really sucks when stuff like this comes up in the martial arts news feeds.
    FBI finds ricin in martial arts studio run by letter-writing suspect
    By Cheryl K. Chumley
    The Washington Times
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Federal authorities say they’ve found evidence of ricin in the Tupelo, Miss., martial arts studio that is run by the suspect who’s accused of sending poison letters to the president.

James Everett Dutschke is also charged with sending ricin-laced letters to a politician and a judge.

The FBI said Tuesday that agents discovered ricin in the studio as well as on items that police observed him taking from his studio and depositing in the trash, The Associated Press reported. Among the items: a dust mask, AP reported.

Moreover, the FBI said the suspect purchased castor beans — which are used to make ricin — online, AP reported.

The studio was sealed after FBI collected “trace levels of ricin,” FBI spokeswoman Deborah Madden said.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not quite busted yet

Well, the art next door was busted.

We had a similar problem with a neighboring tenant at a strip mall school I was at. The neighbor was a skate shop. Unfortunately, we had mounted our bags on the shared wall, and I guess it was rattling their deck display. But it was easily resolved as they weren't always open during class time, so we just didn't do bag work when they were open.

There's a vid if you follow the link (w/busted art )
    Fight brews over loud martial arts studio
    Published: May 16, 2013 3:43 PM

A fight is brewing over a martial arts studio located next to an Islip art gallery. (May 16, 2013)
    ISLIP - A fight is brewing over a martial arts studio located next to an Islip art gallery.
    The owner of the art gallery says the vibrations from the martial arts studio are causing some of the gallery's collectibles to fall off of shelves and break.
    The owner of the martial arts studio says the dispute should be with the landlord, not with the studio.
    The landlord's lawyer says the legal battle has been happening for more than a year and is still ongoing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Obviously a cultural misunderstanding.
    It is quite clear He was only perfecting is "jing retention" technique.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Another one busted!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-kung-fu-power

Kung Fu Power owner charged with promoting prostitution, soliciting sex act

Highland Park business opened in May

August 09, 2013|By Gregory Trotter, Chicago Tribune reporter

Richard Baron.

Richard Baron. (Highland Park Police Department photo)

A Highland Park business owner has been charged with promoting prostitution and soliciting a sexual act, according to Highland Park officials.

Richard Baron, 33, owner of Kung Fu Power at 1770 First Street, was arrested Aug. 6, according to a Highland Park Police Department news release. After receiving a complaint on July 29, police launched an investigation in coordination with the Lake County Sheriff's Department and the Lake County State's Attorney's Office, the release said.

When contacted by the Tribune, Baron, now out of jail after posting bond, said that he made some personal mistakes but that the charges didn't accurately portray what happened and had nothing to do with his martial arts studio.

"First, (the charges) are completely blown out of proportion," Baron said. "My school is a place where adults, kids, everyone can do martial arts in a way that is awesome."

Highland Park Deputy Police Chief Dave Schwarz declined to provide additional information about the case, or describe evidence beyond the complaint, saying the investigation was ongoing.

It's also unclear what connection the charges may have with Baron's business. The news release issued by Highland Park noted that Baron's business opened in May.

Asked to clarify why that was included in the release, Deputy City Manager Ghida Neukirch said village officials felt it was important to fully disclose to residents because he's a Highland Park business owner and because children take martial arts lessons at his school.

"We're not saying he's guilty. … It will go through the trial process," Neukirch said.

Kung Fu Power was "the central location" for the alleged crime, she added.

Baron also did not want to go into details. But he repeated the charges have nothing to do with his school. Kung Fu Power offers instruction in kung fu, qi gong and tai chi for people of all ages, according to the website.

"It's my problem. This doesn't reflect on the school," Baron said. "Mistakes were made but they're my mistakes."

He regretted any impact the charges could have on his school's community.

"I've worked for many years to build up a reputation. This is very painful. It could cause a lot of harm to a lot of people," Baron said. "I'm not a predator. I'm not a monster. I'm a good man."

Baron is due back in court on Aug. 15.

gtrotter@tribune.com

Twitter: @NorthShoreTrib

http://deerfield.patch.com/groups/po...rimes_3bf3de0d

"Kung Fu Power Owner Charged with Sex Crimes

Richard Baron, owner of Kung Fu Power in Highland Park, was charged with promoting prostitution and solicitation of a sexual act, according to police.

Posted by Angela Sykora (Editor) , August 12, 2013 at 02:33 PM

Richard Baron, owner of Kung Fu Power in Highland Park, is facing charges of promoting prostitution and solicitation of a sexual act. Photo Credit: Highland Park Police

Richard Baron, owner of Kung Fu Power in Highland Park, is facing charges of promoting prostitution and solicitation of a sexual act. Photo Credit: Highland Park Police

The owner of Kung Fu Power in Highland Park has been charged with promoting prostitution and solicitation of a sexual act, according to a Highland Park Police Department press release.

Richard Baron, 33, of Highland Park, was arrested Aug. 6 after a complaint was brought to the police department on July 29.

"As soon as the complainant came forward, the Highland Park Police Department launched an immediate investigation," said Police Chief Paul Shafer. "Our police department takes all information provided by the public seriously and investigates all claims thoroughly and expeditiously."

With the assistance of the complainant, the Lake County Sheriff’s Department and investigators from the Lake County State’s Attorney Office, the Highland Park Police Department was able to obtain enough information to lead to an arrest, according to the press release.

"The Highland Park Police Department continues to do exemplary work and we appreciate their swift action in this case," said Mayor Nancy Rotering.

Search warrants obtained from case related information were executed at the time of Baron’s arrest. Baron was transported to the Lake County Court building on Aug. 6, where bond was set at $25,000.

Baron told the Chicago Tribune the charges were blown out of proportion and that he "made some personal mistakes but that the charges didn't accurately portray what happened and had nothing to do with his martial arts studio."

Baron is due in court Aug. 15, reported the Tribune.

Baron, owner of Kung Fu Power located at 1770 First Street in Highland Park, opened his Highland Park location in May 2013. His studio was previously located in Vernon Hills.

Anyone with additional information regarding this case is asked to contact the Highland Park Police Department at (847) 432-7730 or their local law enforcement agency."
    Last edited by bai she; 08-14-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: wrong info

Highland Park Kung Fu Instructor Faces Sex-Related Charges
    HIGHLAND PARk, Ill. (STMW) – The owner of a martial arts studio has been charged with promoting prostitution and solicitation of a sexual act in north suburban Highland Park.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

He appears to have been long time student of James McNeil and is part of the Little Nine Heaven group. Does practicing lovemaking arts qualify for a defense? McNeil still appears to be teaching his lovemaking classes.

Does this count?

I think not. However, given the situation, it should be posted here.

‘Ninja’ serial rapist Adam Downworth read martial arts books to perfect attacks
    Monday 14 Oct 2013 10:05 pm

Vile: Adam Downworth has been jailed for life (Picture: PA)
    A ‘sadistic’ serial rapist who taught himself ninja techniques to choke and sexually assault drunk and vulnerable woman has been jailed for life.

Adam Downworth kerb-crawled streets in his work van to pick out lone victims making their way home through secluded areas.

The 32-year-old cleaner would then sneak up to the women and attack them before raping them as he spoke of ‘teaching little *****es’ a lesson.

‘A striking feature of these attacks is the use of gratuitous violence against his victims, violence beyond that necessity to fulfil his sexual purpose and seemingly unleashed simply to increase the suffering of the women,’ said Alaric Bassano, prosecuting.

Police found martial arts and forensic science books at Adam Downworth’s home (Picture: PA)

‘He spoke in hateful and degrading ways whilst attacking them and appeared to be deriving sadistic pleasure from their suffering.’

Downworth, who had highlighted passages on strangulation and surprise attacks in ninja books found at his home, assaulted his first victim on December 3, 2011, in Stockport, Greater Manchester.

He grabbed the 28-year-old from behind, telling her, ‘Don’t move or I’ll stab you’.

After choking her unconscious, he raped her before punching her repeatedly in the face.

Hunter: Adam Downworth leaves his flat before getting into the Citroën Berlingo to search for his final victim on July 1, 2012 (Picture: Nick Razzell)

Downworth claimed a further four victims during his ten-month raping spree, although he had claimed he was simply a street mugger with a rapist accomplice.

The Stockport resident was eventually arrested after his final victim escaped his clutches and ran for help, with police finding him standing by his company Citröen Berlingo nearby.

As judge Jeffrey Lewis sentenced Downworth to a minimum of 23 years, cries of ‘Rot in hell’ and ‘I hope you die a slow death’ were heard from the public gallery at Minshull Street crown court in Manchester.

Det Insp Rebecca Matthews said Downworth, who was found guilty of 13 charges including rape and GBH, may have claimed several other victims.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sad tale

Any So Cal members know this school?
    Martial Artists Tortured Teen With Samurai Swords, Police Say
    Posted: 11/11/2013 5:05 pm EST

Two martial arts instructors were behind bars over the weekend after they allegedly tortured a teen by beating him, cutting him with samurai swords and burning him with lit cigarettes.

Brothers Ston Lee, 34, and Skoth Ly, 33, of the Ston Skoth Martial Arts Academies in Lancaster, Calif. were arrested Thursday at an apparent marijuana grow house, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The brothers allegedly kidnapped an 18-year-old on Sept. 25, tortured him and then released him.

Detectives Thursday served a search warrant at Lee’s home, where they found a firearm, drug paraphernalia and a hydroponic marijuana grow, the LASD said in a statement. A third man, Anthony Valdizia, was arrested along with Lee for being a felon with a firearm.

Police also searched two locations of the Ston Skoth Martial Arts Academy and recovered samurai swords from both locations, authorities said.

Lee and Ly were booked for kidnapping, torture and cultivating marijuana with additional charges pending. They are being held in lieu of $100,000 bail. Valdizia’s bail was set at $35,000.

Detectives did not reveal a suspected motive for the attack.

Anthony Martinez, a longtime acquaintance, said he was the brothers' first student and eventually ran the academy before leaving six months ago to teach martial arts on his own, the Associated Press reports.

Martinez, 38, said it was "mind-blowing" to hear of their arrests.

"These guys are very humble martial artists. They're good, respectful people," Martinez said to the AP. "Those were my masters. If anything, they were there to help people out."
    I'm sorely tempted to remark on the fact that the accused's name is Ston.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

Ston And Skoth's Martial Arts Academy

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Fernando Torres Baena

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but it has to be the worst case.

The case started some years ago, and finally this year Fernando Torres Baena, along with 2 female colleague,s was sentenced to 302 years in prison for repeatedly abusing more than 40 kids during 20 years.

If you read the whole case in Spanish it's really depressing.

Here's a brief in english:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/spai...children.shtml

Dutschke pleads guilty

Martial arts guru pleads guilty in Obama ricin plot

(AFP) – 1 hour ago

Washington — A 41-year-old martial arts instructor on Friday pleaded guilty to sending ricin-laced letters to President Barack Obama and other officials, the United States Justice Department said.

James Everett Dutschke triggered widespread alarm last April after the emergence of the potentially lethal letters, as the United States reeled in shock from the Boston Marathon bomb attack.

The incident carried an eerie echo of the anthrax letters sent to public officials shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Appearing in a federal court in Oxford, Mississippi on Friday, Dutschke pleaded guilty to charges of developing and possessing ricin, and mailing ricin-impregnated letters, including one that threatened Obama.

According to the terms of his guilty plea, Dutschke has agreed to a 25-year jail term. His sentence will be formally confirmed by federal judge Sharion Ay**** in two months time.

The Justice Department said Dutschke had used the Internet to research how to produce and use ricin, a biological agent and toxin which can be lethal in only the tiniest amounts.

Dutschke purchased castor beans or seeds -- from which ricin is made -- via the Internet before buying tools to process and develop the poison, such as latex gloves, grinders and masks from vendors in the area.

He then sent three ricin-laced letters to Obama, a US Senator, and a Mississippi Justice Court Judge.

Authorities had initially arrested another man in the aftermath of the letters' emergence: Elvis impersonator Paul Kevin Curtis.

However Curtis's attorney insisted his client had been framed, and suggested Dutschke was responsible.

Dutschke was also known to have had a long-standing dispute with the Mississippi justice who received one of the letters.

Dutschke was arrested on April 27 last year before being indicted in June.
    I really want to pronounce his name like douche.

Previous on Dutschke
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This happened 2 days before Christmas

An instructor at a karate studio in Tierrasanta has been arrested for child molestation.
    Juan Melesio Flores, 38, is charged with 15 felony counts, including lewd acts with a child and oral copulation, according to Deputy District Attorney Wendy Patrick.
    Flores is co-owner and lead instructor at Z-Ultimate Studio in the 10600 block of Tierrasanta Blvd. He was arrested outside the studio last Thursday.
    According to San Diego police, an investigation started last week after one male student came forward. This led investigators to another possible victim. The two boys apparently do not know each other.
    Patrick says the alleged abuse took place between 2012 and Dec. 2013 at the studio, or dojo.
    “They did things like ‘Ninja Nights,’ where lots of the kids would sleep over and play video games all night at the dojo," Patrick said. "As they spent time together, what happened, this defendant would make advances toward these two victims.”
    Patrick says Flores knew the two boys for years and that their relationships escalated from being "good friends, to massages, to oral copulation."
    Classes took place as usual on Monday at Z-Ultimate Studio. One longtime student, who calls Flores "a role model," says he's shocked by the allegations.
    “I’ve known him since I was 14 years old. I’m 23 years old now. He’s always been a fatherly figure to me," Steven Lundberg said. "I’ve never had any inclination anything like this would have been happening. My whole life, he’s been there for me."
    Flores pleaded not guilty to the charges during a court appearance Monday afternoon. Despite his defense attorney's argument that Flores is not a flight risk and very involved in the community, the judge set bond at $350,000.
    “Our concern at this point is we have two victims. Worse case scenario, there are additional victims," Police Lt. Chuck Kaye said. "We want to make sure the public is aware of the arrest."
    Anyone with additional information is asked to call the police department's Sex Crimes Unit at 619-531-2210.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz2r4vXD8XD

Slightly OT

There's a vid if you follow the link.
    Prison guards beat inmates to death in martial arts training
    DAVID CHARTER THE TIMES FEBRUARY 19, 2014 12:00AM

PRISON-CAMP inmates were used as human punchbags for martial arts training by North Korean guards who were given a free hand to torture, mutilate and kill, survivors have told a UN commission of inquiry.

“Sometimes the instructors would summon inmates who were working in the field so that we could practise our skills on them,” said Ahn Myong Chol, a former camp guard. “The reason for actually practising our skills on these inmates was to make them stay alert and to instruct us that those are our enemies.

“We did not have people to practise on, so they summoned the inmates so that we could practise our kicks and hits on them ... We really didn’t care if we were going to kill them or let them live.”

The punishment for attempting to escape from a prison camp was summary execution. One survivor, Jeong Kwang Il, said a man left his work unit at a prison to take potatoes from a store because he was hungry. Fearing the guards would consider this an attempted escape, he tried to hide. “The guards chased tracker dogs after him. The dogs found and mauled the man until he was half-dead. Then the guards shot the victim dead on the spot,” the commission reported.

Brutal punishment was routine, witnesses said. Kim Song-ju saw a cellmate punished for speaking without permission. A guard ordered him to stick his hand through the narrow gap between the cell bars and beat it about 30 times, using a metal gun-cleaning tool swung with full force.

“Seeing this prisoner’s hand, I was shocked,” Mr Kim said. “He had a lump as a result of the hitting with this device that was as thick as his own hand. The guard told the prisoner to return to the cell but the prisoner could not retrieve his (device) and the prisoner just squatted down and continued crying; he couldn’t do anything else.”

Shin Dong Hyuk was tortured for six months to establish whether he knew about escape plans discussed by his mother and brother. At one point, he was strung over a fire until his back was burned.

On another occasion, Mr Shin accidentally dropped a sewing machine. “The guard told the floor manager to cut off my finger,” he said. “I thought my whole hand was going to be cut off, but it was just a finger. So, at that time I was grateful, really grateful to the guard because I was only losing a finger instead of a hand.”

Kim Eun Chol escaped from Political Prison Camp camp Number 15 to South Korea. He said the authorities retaliated by executing his brother. This caused his sister to take her own life.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips