Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted Martial Artists

It has everything to do with the martial arts

I don't view this thread being solely about teachers taking advantage of students, or pedophilia or anything so limiting. It's really just a receptacle of any mention of martial artists having brushes with the law. Sure, this happens in every community. It still reflects poorly on our community, just as it reflects poorly on the other communities. I think what's most interesting about these reports is how they focus on the martial angle of the story to make it pop out from the rest of the murder-for-hire, rape, beating-up-women stories. That has a lot to do with the martial arts in terms of how we, as a community, are viewed by the general public

This one might be more in line with what you're thinking.

Former teacher pleads guilty to molestation
    Friday, January 09, 2009
    BY MATT MILLER
    Of Our Cumberland County Bureau

A former Cedar Cliff High School math teacher and a private karate instructor is bound for state prison after pleading guilty to repeatedly molesting one of his teenage martial arts students.

Michael D. Zrncic, 32, of Upper Allen Twp., entered his plea Thursday before Cumberland County President Judge Edgar B. Bayley to a charge of aggravated indecent assault for having sex with the 15-year-old girl.

The crime carries a mandatory penalty of at least 5 years in prison, Senior Assistant District Attorney Geoffrey McInroy said.

Bayley will sentence Zrncic after the former educator is evaluated to determine whether he should be deemed a sexually violent predator under Megan's Law, McInroy said.

He said Zrncic's plea will spare the girl the "pain" of testifying at a trial.

It also will bar Zrncic from teaching.

Zrncic, who is free pending sentencing, had been slated for trial this month on the aggravated indecent assault charge and counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of minors and indecent assault.

Zrncic and the teen had sex at Zrncic's private martial arts school, Z's Karate Studio, in the Eastgate Plaza in Hampden Twp., authorities said.

The girl wasn't one of Zrncic's students at Cedar Cliff, authorities said. Zrncic was on leave from his West Shore School District job when he was arrested by township police in September.

Investigators said Zrncic had sex with the girl repeatedly. They said the girl told them he ended the relationship by telling her his wife was pregnant.

Police said they were contacted in April after the girl's parents learned of inappropriate e-mails and instant messages of a sexual nature between Zrncic and their daughter.
    Former Cedar Cliff teacher pleads guilty in sex case
    by MATT MILLER, Of Our Cumberland County Bureau
    Thursday January 08, 2009, 12:07 PM

Michael Zrncic, a former Cedar Cliff High School math teacher and karate instructor, pleaded guilty this morning to aggravated indecent assault for having sex with a 15-year-old girl who was one of his martial arts students.

The plea will send Zrncic, 32, to state prison for at least five years when he is sentenced by Cumberland County President Judge Edgar B. Bayley, Senior Assistant District Attorney Geoffrey McInroy said.

The girl wasn't one of Zrncic's high school students, authorities said. He was on leave from Cedar Cliff when he was arrested by Hampden Twp. police in September.

Investigators said the teen had been taking lessons at Zrncic's business, Z's Karate Studio in the Eastgate Plaza.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jeff “The Snowman” Monson

10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine?
    $19,013.50 (labor and materials) to eradicate the damage??

Mixed martial arts champ charged in Capitol graffiti
    BY JEREMY PAWLOSKI, The Olympian
    Published: 01/14/09 5:55 pm | Updated: 01/15/09 7:08 am

Prosecutors have charged Olympia mixed-martial-arts champion and avowed anarchist Jeff Monson with first-degree malicious mischief based on photographs published in the December edition of “ESPN The Magazine,” showing him spray-painting an anarchist symbol on the state Capitol, court papers state.

A warrant seeking Monson’s arrest was filed Wednesday morning in Thurston County Superior Court. Monson, 37, is charged with first-degree malicious mischief, a Class B felony carrying a maximum penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

The graffiti cost $19,000 to clean up, the court papers state.

Police have been seeking those responsible for spray-painting graffiti on columns on the north side of the Capitol’s legislative building on Nov. 26. The graffiti included anarchy symbols, a peace symbol, and phrases such as “no war” and “no poverty.” According to the court papers, a State Patrol and an Olympia police detective recognized Monson as the perpetrator of the graffiti on surveillance footage captured by a camera at the Capitol, but the break in the case occurred after ESPN The Magazine published an article on Monson and his political views on Dec. 29.

A photograph of Monson leaving graffiti on the Capitol was included in the article, court papers state.

“In full the caption above the picture reads: ‘On a recent night in Olympia, Monson suddenly pulled out a spray can and tagged the state capitol (sic),’” court papers state. “The term ‘tagged’ seems somewhat puerile in light of the fact that the State Buildings and Grounds expended $19,013.50 (labor and materials) to eradicate the damage.”

Monson, an Olympia native and Timberline High School graduate who wrestled at Oregon State, left a job as a mental health counselor to pursue mixed martial-arts fighting. In December 2004, he won the Cagewarriors Fighting Champion heavyweight title in Sheffield, England, by defeating Tengiz Tedoradze with a submission hold in the first round.

Most recently, on Dec. 13, he won a match against Ricco Rodriguez in the Mixed Fighting Alliance “There Will Be Blood” event in Miami. Monson’s fighting nickname is “The Snowman.” He is currently the World Grappling Champion.

Reached by telephone on Wednesday, Monson, who is out of state, took responsibility for the graffiti at the Capitol, but said that it has a point: to protest war in Iraq and economic inequality at home and abroad.

“Every great movement in the United States from civil rights, women’s rights, the labor movement, has been the result of people standing up and breaking the law, refusing to stand at the back of the bus, refusing the stand aside when the government asks you to get off their property,” Monson said. “And now, these people are seen as pioneers. But at the time, they were criminals, they were literally criminals. I’m not here to advocate for myself, at some point you have to stand up.”

Monson, who said he has participated in the protests at the Port of Olympia in November 2007, and in other protests against the Iraq War, added that he wants to make his political beliefs known. “When a country’s committing an illegal war, you’re not supposed to stand aside.”

Monson said he just got back from Nicaragua, where he saw some of the worst poverty he has ever seen in his life. He said the international travel that he has taken has opened his eyes to issues of poverty worldwide.

“We’re completely complicit,” he said. “It’s all about consumerism. We want cheap TVs, we want cheap clothes, we want cheap Nikes. We’re exploiting these people.”

Monson said he had heard only 20 minutes earlier that the State Patrol was looking for him in Olympia. He said he is going to contact State Patrol, but he’s not sure what he’s going to do.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Free monson!!!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

“Every great movement in the United States from civil rights, women’s rights, the labor movement, has been the result of people standing up and breaking the law, refusing to stand at the back of the bus, refusing the stand aside when the government asks you to get off their property,” Monson said. “And now, these people are seen as pioneers. But at the time, they were criminals, they were literally criminals. I’m not here to advocate for myself, at some point you have to stand up.”

Thats rich

I want to be the guy that cleans up the graffiti!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I want to be the guy that cleans up the graffiti!
    That does sound like a sweet paying gig.

I wonder???

I guess that he doesn't have corporate sponsors and wears fight shorts that he made himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I guess that he doesn't have corporate sponsors and wears fight shorts that he made himself.
    sewn out of his own hair!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That's really too bad. I've met Monson and he's really a great guy.

Old Noob: having talked to the guy, sponsorship is one of the few ways he can actually make decent money. Those guys can make $30 grand per year if they win every single fight, much less if they lose some. Political convictions are one thing, but the reality is that everybody's gotta eat, he's got a family, and those guys don't get medical.

And although I haven't seen pics of the graffiti, $19,000 to clean up some tagging on stone columns is just absurd. We going back to the government buying $10,000 hammers and stuff here?

I just think it`s funny as hell that this guy is a retired mental health councilor. Just goes to show that most of the people who go into that kind of work are the ones who need it the most.

True

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    That's really too bad. I've met Monson and he's really a great guy.

Old Noob: having talked to the guy, sponsorship is one of the few ways he can actually make decent money. Those guys can make $30 grand per year if they win every single fight, much less if they lose some. Political convictions are one thing, but the reality is that everybody's gotta eat, he's got a family, and those guys don't get medical.

And although I haven't seen pics of the graffiti, $19,000 to clean up some tagging on stone columns is just absurd. We going back to the government buying $10,000 hammers and stuff here?
    You got no disagreement from me on that. I for one am quite fond of the condom hut adds on the backs of fight shorts. Given that MMA fighters are compensated at a much lower rate than pro-boxers, I agree that they should make as much money as they can from sponsors and endorsements. I'm just saying that this particular fellow might be a bit of a hypocrite unless he's wearing the aforementioned self-made hair-shorts.

I'd be interested in knowing a little more about this guy Monson. To be an anarchist it takes a bit more than showing up at a few protest rallys and spraying graffiti.

I was a taken back by hearing him compare himself to Rosa Parks. When he does something that puts his life and the lives of his entire family in jeopardy for the rest of thier lives then he might understand a little about what Rosa did.

This one is minor in comparison

It's sort of Foot Fist Way but in reverse.
    Mon, Jan 19, 2009
    AsiaOne
    She cheated on husband with martial arts teacher

53-year-old Mr Buang was heartbroken when he found out from a private investigator that his wife of two decades had been seeing their children's martial arts teacher.

According to Berita Harian, the mother of three was caught having an affair with her children's martial arts teacher when a private investigator snapped a video of the pair entering a hotel together.

The private investigator also supplied a receipt as proof that the teacher had booked a room in that hotel under his name.

Her spouse, 53-year-old Mr Buang, first became suspicious when he spotted his wife, aged 45, chatting with a man several times at the void deck and at the bus station, and even once caught her giving him some food.

Upon questioning his children repeatedly, Mr Buang found out that his wife was having an affair with with the man, who trained his children in a traditional martial arts form known as silat. Determined to obtain proof of the affair, he hired a private investigator to spy on his wife.

The investigator discovered that the teacher sometimes sent Mr Buang's wife back home and brought their children to his training centre without Mr Buang's knowledge. Their meetings would sometimes end in the wife's bedroom whenever Mr Buang, a driver, was working the night shift.

Mr Buang noticed that since he confronted his wife about her illicit affair, she stopped paying attention to his food and drink, and also ignored his advances in bed.

He told Berita Harian that just a few months ago, he had tried to salvage their marriage by buying his wife $9000 worth of jewellery, including a necklace, ring and a gold bracelet.

But it was to no avail.

Mr Buang is now at a loss. His wife's adulterous affair is threatening to break up their marriage of more than twenty years.

She has reportedly asked for a divorce, but Mr Buang has refused.

He told Berita Harian that he still loves his wife and just hopes to see his children, two of whom are still young, do well in their studies and have successful careers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Why would anyone even write about that?

Something sounds wrong here. This guy is a driver on the night shift yet he can afford private detectives and 9k in jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing a little more about this guy Monson. To be an anarchist it takes a bit more than showing up at a few protest rallys and spraying graffiti.

I was a taken back by hearing him compare himself to Rosa Parks. When he does something that puts his life and the lives of his entire family in jeopardy for the rest of thier lives then he might understand a little about what Rosa did.
    He's a really smart guy, and he does understand the things he's doing and talking about quite well. His biggest problem is, honestly, that he's not all that eloquent a speaker, which causes him some difficulty in conveying the message.

Found an interesting, and probably fairly accurate, take on the situation here.