Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 1043

Thread: Busted Martial Artists

  1. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    He's a really smart guy
    NO HE ISN'T

    A smart guy doesn't endanger his children by not getting them health insurance
    A smart guy doesn't think spray painting a building is going to change society
    A smart guy would never embrace anything as lame as "anarchism"

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    and he does understand the things he's doing and talking about quite well.
    Again, NO
    He's a self professed anarchist with a hammer and sickle tattoo... ie he failed poli sci 101

    If he was 14 I could forgive him, he's 38, time to live in the real world
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  2. #287
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Why would anyone even write about that?

    Something sounds wrong here. This guy is a driver on the night shift yet he can afford private detectives and 9k in jewelry.
    I was thinking something similar. This is news because....? Must be a REALLY slow news day in Singapore. Or is this one of those penalties that carries the penalty of caning? I imagine if you saw your teacher getting bent over and beat with a cane, you might lose a little bit of respect for him...

  3. #288
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    A smart guy doesn't endanger his children by not getting them health insurance
    Don't know the story behind that, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. If he's doing that for ideological reasons (as I've known some people to do, albeit most commonly free-market zealots), I'll agree it's a bonehead move.

    A smart guy doesn't think spray painting a building is going to change society
    Provocative rhetoric aside, the guy knows graffiti isn't going to change the world. He also knows that he'll get nowhere trying to spread his political philosophy if it gets no exposure, if nobody is talking about it or hearing about it. That is 99% likely to be the reason he did it; simple exposure with a quick-and-easy action that would be almost certain to get lots of attention.

    A smart guy would never embrace anything as lame as "anarchism"

    He's a self professed anarchist with a hammer and sickle tattoo... ie he failed poli sci 101

    If he was 14 I could forgive him, he's 38, time to live in the real world
    I'm gonna go ahead and make the educated guess from your comments that your knowledge base on the actual sociopolitical ideals and structures of anarchism (as opposed to the common cultural conception of "anarchy"), the historical significance of various anarchist movements, and the past, as well as current, interplay between anarchism and libertarian forms of communism is, roughly, zilch. Who failed poli sci now?

    Seriously, now. Passing judgment on the intelligence of a person you've never met based on, essentially, a publicity stunt and his adherence to a political philosophy you clearly know nothing about, doesn't do a lot to prove your own intellectual superiority.

    I've met him, and, among other things, discussed politics with him (as I tend to do with just about everyone I meet). Disagree with him all you want, but yes, he is an intelligent person.

  4. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    I'm gonna go ahead and make the educated guess from your comments that your knowledge base on the actual sociopolitical ideals and structures of anarchism (as opposed to the common cultural conception of "anarchy"), the historical significance of various anarchist movements, and the past, as well as current, interplay between anarchism and libertarian forms of communism is, roughly, zilch. Who failed poli sci now?
    You fail miserably....

    Who in their right mind thinks a system where "product of production is distributed regardless of actual labor put in" would work in the 21st century? All those ideologies are completely bankrupt....

    Plus, as I already said, you can't be an anarchist and a communist at the same time, yet Jeff has claimed affiliation with both

    Please, live in the real world
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  5. #290
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    You fail miserably....

    Who in their right mind thinks a system where "product of production is distributed regardless of actual labor put in" would work in the 21st century? All those ideologies are completely bankrupt....

    Plus, as I already said, you can't be an anarchist and a communist at the same time, yet Jeff has claimed affiliation with both

    Please, live in the real world
    Again, you've got no idea what the ideology professes. First, I'd be curious to know where you got that quote from, and second, both historically and currently, most anarchists have professed adherence to communism as an economic, rather than a political, system. All that communism (little "c") means is communal rather than individual ownership over societal means of production, whereas Marxism, Leninism and their derivatives (the big "C" versions) are subsets thereof that incorporate an authoritarian political system along with the communist economic system. But then, if you knew the political science and history of the "real world," you'd already know that.

    I am not, by the way, trying to get you to agree with anarchist ideologies or anything of the sort. Your politics are your business. I'm just trying to show you that you're operating with some base premises that are way off the mark, historically and politically speaking.

  6. #291

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    Again, you've got no idea what the ideology professes.
    I know enough to know it is a complete joke, totally bankrupt in the 21st century. If you were more than a kid in love with how "cool" it is to "buck the system" you'd know that as well

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    First, I'd be curious to know where you got that quote from
    "individuals have the right to the product of their labor and to be remunerated for their work according to their needs without respect to how much labor they exert"
    - Bakunin


    Go look it up

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    , and second, both historically and currently, most anarchists have professed adherence to communism as an economic, rather than a political, system.
    Is that like trying to be Catholic without listening to what the Pope says? Anarchism is fundamentally incompatible with Marxist historical law, the vanguard of the proletariat or the dictatorship of the proletariat. Go look those up

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post

    All that communism (little "c") means is communal rather than individual ownership over societal means of production, whereas Marxism, Leninism and their derivatives (the big "C" versions) are subsets thereof that incorporate an authoritarian political system along with the communist economic system.
    LMFAO at him squirming

    Jeff Monson has a HAMMER AND SICKLE tattoo, which is Communism with a BIG C

    "Mr intelligent" isn't smart enough to understand that he's a walking contradiction (literally!)

    Of course, we could discuss a self professed anarchist who has corporate sponsors, cashes checks from big fight companies, had a wrestling scholarship that others didn't have access to, etc....

    Or how about "mr socially concerned" who has never volunteered in a soup kitchen or crisis center. He can spew his "concern" but only after lifting for a few hours at the gym and inbetween big fights
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  7. #292
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    Again, you've got no idea what the ideology professes. First, I'd be curious to know where you got that quote from, and second, both historically and currently, most anarchists have professed adherence to communism as an economic, rather than a political, system. All that communism (little "c") means is communal rather than individual ownership over societal means of production, whereas Marxism, Leninism and their derivatives (the big "C" versions) are subsets thereof that incorporate an authoritarian political system along with the communist economic system. But then, if you knew the political science and history of the "real world," you'd already know that.

    I am not, by the way, trying to get you to agree with anarchist ideologies or anything of the sort. Your politics are your business. I'm just trying to show you that you're operating with some base premises that are way off the mark, historically and politically speaking.
    Considering the fact that most anarchist I have ever met don't actually believe in "Anarchy" per se, and since labling yourself as an anarchist is one way of ensuring that 99.9% of the population will not take anything you say seriously, calling yourself/your movement Anarchist is a horrible idea from a marketing standpoint (assuming you want people to listen to you and take you seriously). Its the same thing as the "Satanic Bible" and Satanism (which really has nothing to do with worshiping the devil).

    Names are more than just names - they're first impressions.

  8. #293
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I know enough to know it is a complete joke, totally bankrupt in the 21st century. If you were more than a kid in love with how "cool" it is to "buck the system" you'd know that as well
    Believe whatever you want to about me, dude. Baseless insults serve only to denigrate your own character.

    For that matter, believe whatever you want to about Monson as well. The only thing actually bothering me right now is your insistence on making political points based on incorrect understandings of the theories in question.

    "individuals have the right to the product of their labor and to be remunerated for their work according to their needs without respect to how much labor they exert"
    - Bakunin
    Ah, you were misquoting in such a way as to ignore the actual point of what he was saying. Gotcha.

    Is that like trying to be Catholic without listening to what the Pope says? Anarchism is fundamentally incompatible with Marxist historical law, the vanguard of the proletariat or the dictatorship of the proletariat. Go look those up
    You're working off of fundamentally incorrect assumptions. First, communism is not, in fact, a synonym for Marxism. Marx and Engels developed communist theory, but the term predated his writings and has historically been developed in different directions by different people. It goes a bit like this: communism > Marxism > Leninism > Stalinism, Maoism, Trotskyism, other derivatives, etc. Most anarchists espouse, to one degree or another, communal ownership over societal means of production, which makes them communists by definition. Second, you're ignoring what I've been saying. The vanguard/dictatorship of the proletariat are sociopolitical, not economic, concepts, and do not apply since anarchists who espouse a form of libertarian communism (called simply anarcho-communists) do so as an economic and not sociopolitical system.

    LMFAO at him squirming
    Trying to get people to use correct political terminology is "squirming?"

    Jeff Monson has a HAMMER AND SICKLE tattoo, which is Communism with a BIG C

    "Mr intelligent" isn't smart enough to understand that he's a walking contradiction (literally!)
    The hammer and sickle is the only universally-recognized symbol for communism there is. It's problematic, to be sure, and I don't imagine most anarchists or even most anarcho-communists would get that tattoo, but as we both already know, Monson tends to try and seek attention to, at the least, get people talking. The fact that we're even having this discussion is proof of that.

    As I've said already, I'm not trying to persuade you on his politics, and I'm certainly not going to try and defend actions the motive of which I can only make reasonably educated guesses at. You want to discuss that stuff, Monson himself is easy enough to contact via his website. I'm doing this right now because the way you're discussing these political theories carries no more sophisticated understanding of them than you'd get out of the average high school civics class, and that bugs me.

    Of course, we could discuss a self professed anarchist who has corporate sponsors, cashes checks from big fight companies, had a wrestling scholarship that others didn't have access to, etc....
    Better for him (and his family) to starve? Regardless of your political outlook, the only way to really get by in this society is by having a job and doing what you can to keep it and get ahead in it.

    Or how about "mr socially concerned" who has never volunteered in a soup kitchen or crisis center. He can spew his "concern" but only after lifting for a few hours at the gym and inbetween big fights
    You know this for a fact? Or are you guessing?

  9. #294
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo View Post
    Considering the fact that most anarchist I have ever met don't actually believe in "Anarchy" per se, and since labling yourself as an anarchist is one way of ensuring that 99.9% of the population will not take anything you say seriously, calling yourself/your movement Anarchist is a horrible idea from a marketing standpoint (assuming you want people to listen to you and take you seriously). Its the same thing as the "Satanic Bible" and Satanism (which really has nothing to do with worshiping the devil).

    Names are more than just names - they're first impressions.
    True enough, but the outlook Monson has is similar to that I've seen in a lot of people with unpopular ideologies; "if I believe x, and x has a bad reputation I don't think it deserves, I'm going to try and reform the image of x rather than saying I believe y, which seems dishonest to me." Agree with it or not, it's a valid standpoint.

    Anarchism as a political ideology predates the common usage of the term "anarchy" as meaning chaos or disorder, incidentally. So it's not really analogous to Satanism, which took the established word/concept and more or less bent it to a different purpose.

  10. #295

    Thumbs down

    LMFAO.....

    How can you in this day and age defend such discredited theories? As if dissolving all forms of government would suddenly stop the poor from being poor, the homeless from being homeless and there would never be war again?

    Yup, equally distribute all product to everyone regardless of what they put in, sure worked in the Soviet Union, China, eastern Europe.... oh wait, NO IT DID NOT! There isn't a legit communist state left, well, except maybe North Korea where everyone is starving to death

    Dear lord
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

  11. #296
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    LMFAO.....

    How can you in this day and age defend such discredited theories? As if dissolving all forms of government would suddenly stop the poor from being poor, the homeless from being homeless and there would never be war again?

    Yup, equally distribute all product to everyone regardless of what they put in, sure worked in the Soviet Union, China, eastern Europe.... oh wait, NO IT DID NOT! There isn't a legit communist state left, well, except maybe North Korea where everyone is starving to death

    Dear lord
    Whatever, dude. You keep on keeping on.

    Just don't claim to have done well in poli sci.

  12. #297
    When it rains, it pours.

    I'm resisting the pun between Monson and monsoon!

    http://www.theolympian.com/672/story/731879.html

    Olympia mixed-martial arts champion and avowed anarchist Jeff Monson is in the Davie County Jail in North Carolina, a jail official said Monday, on suspicion of an assault charge unrelated to his arrest warrant in Olympia for allegedly spray-painting the Capitol.

    A Davie County, North Carolina corrections officer said Monday that Monson was in jail Monday on suspicion of "assault on a female and injury to real property."

    Monson, 37, has an active warrant for his arrest in Olympia on suspicion of first-degree malicious mischief for allegedly spray-painting an anarchist symbol and other messages on the State Capitol.

    Monson could not be reached by phone Monday.

    Stephanie Trapani, 30, of Advance, North Carolina, said Monson is in jail for trashing her home and grabbing her after an argument Saturday. Trapani says she had a romantic relationship with Monson, but they got in an argument after found out he had romantic relationships with other women. She said she found out information about his other girlfriends on his cell phone and she then threw the cell phone out the window of her car while she was driving to pick him up at the gym. When he found out his cell phone was gone when they returned to Trapani's home, he got angry. "He went ballistic," she said.

    At Trapani's home, Monson packed up his belongings, Trapani said. But when she told him she had thrown his cell phone out the window of her car, he grabbed her laptop and started "hitting the columns" of her home. She said Monson was enraged, and put a hole in the wall and flipped over a grandfather clock.

    "He's being charged with domestic violence and damage to property because he destroyed my house," Trapani said. "He started just bashing holes in the walls and the columns."

    Trapani said her neighbor called police and Monson was placed under arrest around 8 p.m.

    Trapani said she met Monson Sept. 27 at a fight in North Carolina. She said she is a spokesmodel for a fightwear company that Monson endorses.

    Trapani said her romantic relationship with Monson is over. "I'm done," she said.
    BTW, I am NOT taking joy in this guys misery. Just reporting further on the situation that was brought up before. I hope for his sake that none of this is true.

  13. #298
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Fremont, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    43,071

    You missed page 2 of that article

    I don't think anyone takes pleasure in this Chief_Suicide. My intention behind it was strictly for documentation. If you review this thread, it's a fascinating examination of how the media views martial artists. In some of the stories, the fact that the perp is a martial artists is merely an angle. In others, it's all about their connection to the martial arts that allows them the abuse of power. Regardless, almost all of them state that they are martial artists in the headline, so it's a real bullet point in the story.

    continued
    It was unclear Monday how Monson's new criminal charge will affect his ability to surrender to authorities in Washington.

    Monson, an Olympia native and Timberline High School graduate who was on the wrestling team at Oregon State University, left a job as a mental-health counselor to pursue mixed-martial arts fighting.

    In December, 2004, he won the Cagewarriors Fighting Championship heavyweight title in Sheffield, England by defeating Tengiz Tedoradze with a submission hold in the first found. On Dec. 13, 2008, he won a match against Rocco Rodriguez in the Mixed Fighting Alliance, “There Will Be Blood” event in Miami. Monson's fighting nickname is "The Snowman."

    Last week, Monson took responsibility for leaving graffiti at the State Capitol in Olympia on Nov. 26 to protest the Iraq War and economic injustice. Thurston County prosecutors charged Monson with first-degree malicious mischief for the graffiti after ESPN The Magazine published photos of Monson spraying graffiti on the Capitol on that date.

    After learning of the arrest warrant last week, Monson said in a phone interview that, "Every great movement in the United States, from civil rights, women's rights, the labor movement, has been the result of people standing up and breaking the law, refusing to stand at the back of the bus, refusing to stand aside when the government asks you to get off their property. And now, these people are seen as pioneers. But at the time, they were criminals, literally criminals. I’m not here to advocate myself; at some point you have to stand up.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

  14. #299
    I just don't see this guy as being sincere. I have no problem with the idea of a protest by spray painting the state capitol. Hoever in this case, the ESPN crew was there and the only reason he did it was to advance his own career.

  15. #300
    Monson said in a phone interview that, "Every great movement in the United States, from civil rights, women's rights,
    yeah, he's a real advocate of women's rights
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •