Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1111

Thread: Busted Martial Artists

René L

PHOTO COURTESY OF ELSJE AND JEPPE.

She Fell in Love with a Colleague. Their Boss Was a Cult Leader.
    Elsje and Jeppe met at a rehab clinic, but what she didn't know was that his life was totally controlled by a charismatic founder of a kung fu sect.
    Djanlissa Pringels
    By Djanlissa Pringels
    June 3, 2022, 1:00am

A version of this article originally appeared on VICE Netherlands.

In November 2021, a 72-year-old Dutch man named René L. was sentenced to 30 months in prison. The former kung fu teacher was convicted of assault, threatening behaviour and possession of illegal weapons. For over 25 years, he’d kept his students on a short leash in a so-called “kung fu sect”. He recruited sect members by offering them in-depth martial arts classes that promised to go beyond what they’d pick up in more traditional learning environments.

Former students reported being sexually abused, taken advantage of financially and being intentionally isolated from friends and family. Many of the kung fu students lived with their teacher – in a house they had paid for.

René couldn’t make money from kung fu classes forever. When that became apparent, he changed tack and turned his attention to other schemes and scams. First came a weed farm. Then there was a rehab clinic.

Elsje and Jeppe – both of whom wanted to keep their full names private – met and fell in love at the clinic. Elsje was 33 years old at the time.

“I graduated as a psychologist in February, 2013. A few months later, someone I’d studied with approached me on Facebook to say that a new rehab clinic was looking for staff,” Elsje said. The clinic had been formed by a group of friends who “had a strong belief that the care provided for addicts in the Netherlands could be done differently,” as she put it.

Run in a seemingly ad hoc manner, the clinic was built atop an isolated old farm close to the German border, 30 kilometres from the Dutch city of Nijmegen. It was remote enough that commuting to work via public transport wasn’t an option. Getting there involved hoping another member of staff could offer Elsje a lift.

“I worked there for two years. It wasn’t until I left the clinic that I found out it had been run by a sect all along. Once I discovered that, things started to make sense.” It was Elsje’s first job after completing her training and she went into it unsure of her own abilities. She says she worked hard to prove herself, worried that her colleagues looked down on her.

“The atmosphere at the clinic was strange,” she said. “On the one hand, it felt very intimate. It was immediately obvious that a lot of my colleagues had a strong bond. On the other hand, it was also clear that an outsider would always find it difficult to become part of things.” When she tried to communicate with her colleagues, she was often ignored. The message was clear: They weren’t open to strangers.

Her team leader Jeppe was part of the in-crowd and often gave Elsje a lift to work. Their friendship blossomed during those journeys. “I liked Jeppe, but I was in a relationship at the time,” she said. Even when that relationship ended, Jeppe held off. “He told me that friendship was enough.”

What she didn’t know yet, is that like a lot of people involved in the story, he was a kung fu student in thrall, and in debt, to René. Jeppe and his co-workers were happy talk spirituality with Elsje. She said that her colleagues believed in karma and reincarnation and that they also often spoke about the philosophies that underpinned kung fu. They were also strongly against having children “because it would be bad for the planet”, and that no one in the group “had the need for a relationship”.

With hindsight, it was bizarre that everyone seemed to share the exact same opinions. “At the time, though, I wasn’t suspicious at all,” she admitted. “In fact, I found their version of the world inspiring.”

René was the clinic’s director. “There’d be change in atmosphere whenever anyone spoke about him,” Elsje, said. “I actually only saw him once. He was unexpectedly in the living room. It is a moment I won’t forget. Everyone was so tense and nervous around him.”

ELSJE AND JEPPE PHOTOGRAPHED IN 2014.

Elsje learned from Jeppe that René had “enormous power” over his followers. He even managed to convince Jeppe that he was gay. “If Jeppe denied being gay, other members of the sect had to spend hours discussing the matter with him. In the end, he was so worn out by it all that he ‘admitted’ to being gay,” Elsje said. “I think the reason René did that was to prevent men from trying to get into relationships with the women in the sect – because he was sexually abusing them.”

Despite Jeppe’s tortured relationship with his sexuality, he and Elsje fell in love. “It wasn’t until then that he realised that he really wasn’t into men, and that René was wrong all along,” she said. “Meanwhile, my colleagues felt sorry for me, because they were still convinced that Jeppe didn't like women and that he was only pretending whilst being with me.”

Bit by bit, Jeppe told Elsje about everything going on behind the scenes at the sect. “Members were regularly beaten up by René. Women were not only beaten but also sexually assaulted,” Elsje said. “He saw the female members of the sect as ‘****s’, and they had to spend the rest of their lives trying to get rid of that label.”

Jeppe ended up giving a substantial amount of money to René, who managed the group’s finances, claiming it was necessary to ensure they could buy their house. He also encouraged the group to think of money as only having relative value, ending up with some members spending far beyond their means, often on gifts for their master.

After 15 years, Jeppe owed the bank €100,000. Leaving the sect meant he was temporarily homeless, and Elsje was shocked. Despite all this, she says, Jeppe wouldn’t hear a bad word about René – he’d just decided it was time to leave his friends behind. It was only two years later, after watching a documentary about cults, that he realised the true extent of his experiences with René had been.

Even after they got together, Elsje says that Jeppe held onto René’s misogynistic, ****-shaming ideology for a long time: “That black and white thinking was present in our relationship.” Jeppe was judgemental with everything and everyone, but was afraid of being judged himself. He was jealous of Elsje’s relationships; he’d often overspend and argue with her about money despite being broke.

Elsje contemplated ending the relationship but felt too connected to Jeppe to do so: “There were a lot of things broken in him and his life.” Eventually, he started going to therapy and began rebuilding his life. Jeppe and Elsje have two children together and got married earlier this year. Despite the occasional nightmare about his time in the kung fu cult, Elsje says, he’s doing much better.

“Despite all the trauma he went through, we’re able to talk about everything really well,” she said. “He’s been there for me when I wasn’t doing so well. When I was depressed, he helped me through it. When I started having panic attacks, he was there to listen to me. Ultimately, being with him has enriched my life.”
    your own kung fu cult
    Busted-Martial-Artists
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries

Here is another class act for your thread

Ernest Joseph Ramirez Allegations
    Ramirez Arrested, Accused Of Assault. “Ernest Joseph Ramirez, 54, of San Jose, was charged this week with eight felony counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14, based on crimes spanning August 2019 and June 2021, according to a criminal complaint filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court. Ramirez was arrested June 9 and booked into the Elmwood men’s jail in Milpitas, where he is being held without bail, records show. The complaint specifies that the reported victim was between 11 and 13 years old when the alleged assaults occurred. A San Jose Police Department report states that Ramirez’s accuser, who is now 14, has since moved to Ada County, Idaho and confided in her father that Ramirez sexually abused her at Extreme Martial Arts, his San Jose studio.” [East Bay Times]
    https://oliverwillis.com/who-is-erne...eacher-arrest/
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Jae Y. Lim

Taekwondo instructor accused of sexually abusing student at Sweden studio

by WHAMWednesday, June 8th 2022

Jae Lim, 50, the owner of Master Lim's Taekwondo at Sweden Corners, was arrested Tuesday on sex abuse charges. (Photo provided by Monroe County Sheriff's Office)

Sweden, N.Y. — The Monroe County Sheriff's Office has arrested the owner of Master Lim's Taekwondo on Brockport-Spencerport Road on sex abuse charges.

Jae Y. Lim, 50, of Sweden, allegedly touched a 12-year-old female student on more than one occasion earlier this year.

Deputies say the victim was a student there for four years.

"Don't know if it was a private instruction or if it was before or after class, but I do know it was just the two of them there," Inv. Sgt. David Bolton said.

Investigators arrested Lim Tuesday on two counts of first-degree sex abuse and one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Deputies from the Orleans County Sheriff's Office located Lim during a traffic stop and took him into custody.

Lim was arraigned in Sweden Town Court and remanded to Monroe County Jail on $15,000 cash bail.

The judge also issued an order of protection for the victim.

Investigators believe the incident was isolated, though anyone with additional information is encouraged to call 911.
    hskwarrior - that guy was from San Jose. Did you know him? I did not.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fineday gets 12

More on Fineday here.

Former martial arts teacher gets 12 years on sex charge
    The victims were not students of Pat Fineday, who formerly ran Pat's Martial Arts Tae Kwon Do School and was a longtime martial arts instructor in the Becker County area.

Patrick Dean Fineday
    By News Staff
    June 30, 2022 12:29 PM

A former martial arts instructor in Detroit Lakes has been sentenced to 12 years in prison at St. Cloud for sexually assaulting two girls.

Patrick D. Fineday, 65, was sentenced Wednesday in Becker County District Court on one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct. A second charge of first-degree criminal sexual conduct was dropped in a plea agreement.

According to court records, on Feb. 25 an investigator with the Becker County Sheriff's Office received a report from a Becker County elementary school of a sexual assault involving a girl related to Fineday.

The abuse allegedly occurred at Fineday's home, in multiple incidents over a number of years, ending in the fall of 2021.

The girl attended a forensic interview at the Red River Children's Advocacy Center in Fargo on March 3. During the interview, she talked about the sexual abuse and said she did not tell anyone at the time because she didn't think anyone would believe her.

On March 11, officers interviewed Fineday at the Detroit Lakes Police Department, and he admitted to sexually assaulting the girl in the last two years.

He also admitted to sexually assaulting another girl, also related to him, approximately eight years ago, and said that it had never been investigated by law enforcement.

The victims were not students of Fineday, who formerly ran Pat's Martial Arts Tae Kwon Do School and was a longtime martial arts instructor in the Becker County area.

On June 29, Becker County District Judge Gretchen Thilmony sentenced Fineday to 144 months in prison, with credit for 111 days served in jail. He was ordered to pay $250 in court fees and register as a predatory offender.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Erik Chen

Erik Chen, 31, is accused of sexual exploitation of a child (Credit: Castle Rock Police Department)

LOCAL NEWS
    Martial arts instructor accused of sexual exploitation of a child
    by: Colleen Flynn

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 / 01:05 PM MDT
    Updated: Jul 12, 2022 / 02:12 PM MDT

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (KDVR) — A former taekwondo instructor is facing several felony charges after being accused of the sexual exploitation of a child.

Law enforcement from the Castle Rock Police Department, Aurora Police Department and the U.S. Secret Service arrested 31-year-old Erik Chen of Denver in Aurora last week.

According to CRPD, the incidents occurred between the beginning of 2019 to early 2021 when Chen ran camps as an instructor throughout Douglas County and the city of Aurora at Han Lee’s Taekwondo Academy.

The owner of the business is working with authorities to help identify other victims from the Castle Rock and Aurora locations.

Chen’s first court appearance was Friday, July 8, and he is being held on a $250,000 bond.

Several juvenile victims have been identified during the course of the investigation but detectives believe there could be additional victims. Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to contact the CRPD tip line at (720) 733-3517 or CrimeTips@CRgov.com.
    Creepy looking dude.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jim Robinson

The owner of a Montco martial arts gym has been charged in the Jan. 6 Capitol attack
    Jim Robinson, a fourth-degree black belt known to students as "Master J," told FBI agents he'd always been trained to render aid to those in need and that's why he joined the mob storming the Capitol.

Surveillance footage shows a man prosecutors have identified as Jim Robinson, of Schwenksville, inside the Capitol Rotunda during the Jan. 6, 2021 riot.
    Justice Department court filings
    by Jeremy Roebuck
    Updated Aug 9, 2022
    A Montgomery County gym owner said his martial-arts training led him to join the mob of pro-Trump rioters that stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, according to court filings made public this week.

Jim Robinson, 60, of Schwenksville, told FBI agents that as a fourth-degree master black belt in the Korean fighting style of Tang Soo Do, he had always been taught to help people in need of assistance. He said he’d been drawn inside the building by screams and cries of people inside.

But prosecutors say the “aid” he rendered that day included shoving his way through a crowd into the Capitol Rotunda, dismantling a roped security stanchion, and chanting along with his fellow insurrectionists.

He was charged Friday in Washington with federal misdemeanor counts, including knowingly entering a restricted area and illegally demonstrating on Capitol grounds. His arrest makes him the 71st Pennsylvania defendant charged in connection with the Capitol attack — a list that includes former police officers, small-business owners, several members of the Philadelphia Proud Boys, and at least one other gym owner.

Dawn Bancroft, the former owner of Bucks County Elite Fitness in Doylestown, was sentenced to two months’ incarceration last month for participating in the insurrection and filming a video in which she said she’d been looking for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to “shoot her in the friggin’ brain.”

Like her, roughly half of the Pennsylvania defendants have pleaded guilty, mainly to misdemeanor crimes, while dozens more await trial on more serious charges from attacking police officers to playing a central role in the planning behind the attack.

Robinson declined to comment when reached by phone Tuesday. In an email, his attorney, Douglas Dolfman, drew distinctions between his client and those who had been charged with more serious crimes.

“His actions were certainly more as a curious observer than an active participant or destructive individual,” Dolfman said. “He regrets deeply for being caught up in the mob mentality that was occurring and didn’t cause injury to anyone or damage to any property.”

Agents identified Robinson — the owner of King of Prussia-based Robinson’s Martial Arts & Fitness, known to his students as “Master J” — in surveillance footage after receiving a tip from a “confidential human source.” According to charging documents in his case, Robinson admitted during a May 3 meeting with the FBI that he had illegally entered the Capitol building

Images shared on social media show a man prosecutors have identified as Jim Robinson, of Schwenksville, exiting the Capitol building during the Jan. 6, 2021 riot.
    Dressed in all black with his gray hair pulled back in a ponytail and his face occasionally covered with a black balaclava, Robinson was pictured among a crowd that pushed its way into the Rotunda’s east entrance. Security stills show him spending several minutes inside, pumping his fists in the air, shouting and chanting.

At one point, he was caught on camera removing a velvet rope from a security post meant to keep people out of unauthorized areas and holding it over his head like a trophy.

But Dolfman took issue with several of the details in the FBI complaint, saying that the security footage had no sound and it was impossible to tell -- as agents had claimed whether his client was chanting.

“He was simply following people who were chanting and being loud,” the attorney said.

In his FBI interview, Robinson said he had initially traveled to Washington with three other people from the Philadelphia area to attend former President Donald Trump’s rally but became separated from them as they joined the crowd marching to the Capitol. He maintained that he had entered the building because he had heard screams coming from inside and that he was “sucked into” a mob that pushed its way into the building, the charging documents say.

“According to Robinson, his training in martial arts had taught him that when people need assistance, he should do what he could to help,” the FBI wrote . “Robinson [said he] understood that he was not supposed to be making entry into the Capitol, but he felt he could help people who were crying out.”

Dolfman added Tuesday that while Robinson was inside the building he assisted a lady who had fallen and was being crushed by the crowds.

U.S. Capitol surveillance footage shows a man prosecutors have identified as Jim Robinson, of Schwenksville, inside the Capitol Rotunda during the Jan. 6, 2021 riot.
    On his profile page with the American Tang Soo Do Association, Robinson said he began training in the martial art in 1990 after two seasons playing football for a Pottstown team.

His social media accounts feature photos of him in various martial arts poses as well as one in which he is holding an American flag with the logo of the Three Percenters, an antigovernment militia. Other posts are peppered with right-wing posts railing against everything from inflation and U.S. relations with Russia to COVID-19 precautions and vaccines.

If convicted, Robinson faces up to a year incarceration. He remains free pending trial and under orders to stay away from Washington.

Published Aug. 9, 2022
    Jeremy Roebuck
    I cover public corruption, white collar crime and the criminal misuse of power.
    He looks like Terry Silver from Cobra Kai in that top pic
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ernest Ramirez - more victims

More on Ramirez

More victims, protective orders added to sex abuse charges for San Jose martial-arts instructor
    Three women alleged past abuse by Ernest Ramirez following his initial charges in June involving a student in his after-school program
    By ROBERT SALONGA | rsalonga@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
    PUBLISHED: August 12, 2022 at 2:45 p.m. | UPDATED: August 15, 2022 at 4:45 a.m.

SAN JOSE — A martial-arts studio owner charged in June with sexually assaulting one of his students has since been charged with several more felony counts after three more people came forward to allege they were also assaulted by him, court records show.

Ernest Joseph Ramirez, 54, appeared Wednesday in court, where Judge Jose Franco appointed the Santa Clara County Alternate Defender’s Office to represent him. Franco also approved three protective orders barring Ramirez from making any contact with three of the reported victims. Ramirez has not yet entered a plea in the case.

On June 13, Ramirez was initially charged with eight felony counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14, based on crimes spanning August 2019 and June 2021. Three days later, the criminal complaint was amended to add 10 more charges related to claims from three more reported victims.

Ramirez, who ran Extreme Martial Arts in San Jose, was arrested June 9 after a 14-year-old girl — who now lives in Idaho — told her father Ramirez sexually abused her while she was enrolled in an after-school program at his studio. They contacted local authorities, who then alerted police in San Jose, since the alleged crimes occurred when she lived there.

After they served a search a warrant at the studio, investigators reported that Ramirez denied the allegations. When police announced his arrest, they said they were exploring the possibility of other victims based on Ramirez’s lengthy time spent supervising minors.

Three women contacted police with accounts of being sexually assaulted by Ramirez, according to court documents.

One woman claimed that Ramirez assaulted her in May 2021, leading to a charge of sexual penetration involving a victim who was intoxicated or anesthetized.

The amended criminal complaint also states that another woman told police that in at least three instances between 2004 and 2008, Ramirez had sex with her, when she was between 10 and 13 years old. Those allegations led to charges of aggravated sexual assault and of a child under 14, oral copulation with a child under 14, and lewd and lascivious acts on a child under 14.

A fourth reported victim described being sexually assaulted by Ramirez over the course of the past 14 years, starting when she was between 7 and 9 years old. The complaint describes at least four instances of assault, leading to charges of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14; two counts of rape with the use of an intoxicating, anesthetic or controlled substance; oral copulation with a minor under 16; rape by force, violence, duress, menace or fear; and threatening to commit a crime that would result in death or great bodily injury.

The rape and threat charges involving this woman are based on a reported encounter on April 14, according to the complaint.

Ramirez is being held without bail at the Elmwood men’s jail in Milpitas. He is scheduled to return to court Sept. 21.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gordon Okerstrom

Broken Arrow martial arts instructor faces child porn charges
    By Abigail Dye, FOX23 News
    September 08, 2022 at 10:31 pm CDT
    BROKEN ARROW, Okla. — Gordon Okerstrom was arrested Friday, Sept. 2, by Broken Arrow Police for possession of child pornography. Thursday, he was officially charged with two counts of aggravated child pornography.

Prior to his arrest, Okerstrom was an instructor at Martial Arts Advantage Studio. He taught children there for 12 years.

The studio told FOX23 they fired him immediately following the arrest and notified parents.

According to the court records, investigators found over 100 photos of child porn on Okerstrom’s phone, and over 100 photos on his computer.

Broken Arrow Detective Sgt. Ian Buchanan said that investigators don’t believe he was sending or producing any child pornography.

“We’re not seeing anything that indicated that he was sending it. It just appears that he was downloading it,” he explained.

Police said they don’t believe any children locally, or students at the studio, were abused or involved. The ongoing investigation could bring more charges against Okerstrom, police also said.

“[I was] broken hearted,” said Chief Instructor at Martial Arts Advantage Studio Jim Hammons. “Because it’s someone you know, and ... because it’s just terrible.”

He continued, “I advocate for kids. So I can’t tolerate in any way, shape or form, anybody who would do anything to a child. We can’t have it. We can’t have that around our kids, and definitely can’t be a leader and have that around.”

Buchanan said investigators are still examining Okerstrom’s phone and computer.

“We’re still examining to see if there’s any additional child pornography on any of those other devices,” he explained.
    There's a news reel behind the link.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Daniel Medina-Alvarez

PINELLAS COUNTY
    Riverview martial arts instructor accused of molesting multiple students
    by: Nathaniel Rodriguez
    Posted: Oct 1, 2022 / 03:13 PM EDT
    Updated: Oct 1, 2022 / 03:13 PM EDT

RIVERVIEW, Fla. (WFLA) — A Riverview martial arts instructor was arrested Monday after he was accused of molesting his students, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said Daniel Medina-Alvarez, 56, was an instructor at Medina Martial Arts.

A release from the sheriff’s office alleged that from 2016 to 2020, Medina-Alvarez inappropriately touched his students both at the business and at his home.

Multiple victims made allegations against the instructor, according to deputies.

Daniel Medina-Alvarez was booked on 20 counts of lewd or lascivious molestation and one count of sexual battery.

Detectives said they are looking for other potential victims. If you have any information, call the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office at 813-247-8200.
    Not a lot of details on this one yet. 20 counts though...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Noah James Beaton-Stokell

Martial arts instructor charged with sexual exploitation
    Written by Staff Wednesday, Oct 26 2022, 1:38 PM

(File photo)
    The Winnipeg Police Services is reminding the public that it is committed to the education of sexual abuse in sport.

In July 2022, the WPS's Child Abuse Unit received a report of a teenage martial arts student who had been sexually assaulted by their instructor between May and June earlier this year.

The Child Abuse Unit began the investigation and learned through the victim that on several occasions before the class had begun, the instructor touched them in an unwanted and sexual manner, going as far as attempting to kiss them on one occasion.

The victim was not physically injured during these incidents.

Through further investigation, officers discovered that the victim experienced previous grooming incidents that happened through digital communication.

The martial arts studio location and gender identity are not provided to protect the survivor's identity.

On October 25, 23-year-old Noah James Beaton-Stokell was charged with sexual exploitation and sexual assault.

He was released with Crown-imposed conditions.

Anyone wishing to speak to an investigator can call the Child Abuse Unit at 204-986-3296. Additional Support resources include WPS Victim Services at 204-986-6350 and the Klinic Sexual Assault Crisis Line at 204-786-8631.

The WPS is committed to providing education initiatives regarding sexual abuse in sport.

Proactive in-person presentations for athletes, parents, coaches, and sports organizations are also available.
    I imagine the martial arts studio location would be discoverable given a little sleuthing with his name...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Daniel Medina-Alvarez

This dude again.

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY
    Riverview martial arts instructor arrested for a fourth time after inappropriately touching students, deputies say
    by: Katlyn Brieskorn
    Posted: Feb 16, 2023 / 04:50 PM EST
    Updated: Feb 16, 2023 / 04:51 PM EST

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A Riverview martial arts instructor was arrested for a fourth time Thursday after he inappropriately touched students, the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies said Daniel Medina-Alvarez is facing charges of lewd or lascivious molestation. This is the fourth time Medina-Alvarez has been charged with similar offenses, according to the sheriff’s office.

Detectives said multiple victims made several sexual allegations against Medina-Alvarez for inappropriately touching them. Investigators said Medina-Alvarez was the owner of Medina Martial Arts Studio at the time.

Alligator living with mouth taped shut since December has been captured
    “I’m disgusted, this man abused his position as a trusted instructor to prey on innocent victims,” Sheriff Chad Chronister said. “This suspect knowingly and intentionally victimized his students time and time again. We are working to get these victims and their families peace of mind, justice, and the help or services they might need.”

Investigators said they are looking for others who might have been victimized by Medina-Alvarez.

“I encourage parents to talk to their children. If your child was a student at this Martial Arts studio, please have a conversation with them about this. We believe there might be other victims,” Chronister said.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office at 813-247-8200.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Aaron Smalley

Martial arts instructor uses “strip Pokemon” to sexually assault teen student
    Zackerie Fairfax
    ❘ Published: Feb 14, 2023, 12:04
    ❘ Updated: Feb 14, 2023, 12:05

Aaron Smalley, 29, has pled guilty to sexual assault of a 15-year-old student.

An Australian martial arts instructor is being accused of using Pokemon as a “strip game” in order to sexually assault a 16-year-old student.

Aaron Smalley, a 28-year-old martial arts instructor from Melbourne, Australia, has pleaded guilty to the allegations he sexually assaulted a 16-year-old female student.

According to court documents, the Melbourne police claim Smalley’s assaults occurred between November 2019 and March 2022 while the victim was 15. The assaults took place at the martial arts studio, the back of Smalley’s vehicle, an apartment, and a park.

On Tuesday, February 14, the court was made aware that Smalley had first met the female student when she was 10 and had urged her mother to enroll her in the martial arts academy.

Pokemon allegedly used as means of sexual assault

At the same hearing, Prosecutor Charlotte Duckett told the court that Smalley would suggest playing Pokemon with the teen. However, instead of the kid-friendly monster battler many are familiar with, Smalley used the game to make sexual advances with his victim.

He reportedly turned Pokemon into a “strip game.” Duckett stated that removing clothes was a way for Smalley to “make it more interesting.”

Duckett claims that the sexual assaults started when the victim was 15 but that Smalley began having sexual intercourse with the girl once she turned 16. The student reported Smalley to the police in March 2021.

In a secretly recorded phone call played for the court, the student claimed she had developed Tourette syndrome as a response to the trauma. Smalley stated he felt like he was “falling” for her.

He also questioned whether he was being recorded and asked if he was “going to prison.”

Smalley pled guilty to 13 charges, including sexual assault of a child aged under 16 and penetration of a child aged 16 under his care. He was kept in police custody and will be sentenced at a future court hearing.
    Busted-Martial-Artists
    Holy-sh1t-real-life-pokemon
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hyobin Lee

Martial arts instructor convicted of first-degree criminal sexual conduct

By JIM BAYER
    March 29, 2023 Updated:March 29, 20234 Mins Read

An Eden Prairie martial arts instructor has been convicted of first-degree criminal sexual conduct stemming from repeated sexual contacts with a 15-year-old girl in 2018.

Hyobin Lee
    Hyobin Lee, 33, was sentenced Tuesday to 48 months in prison for penetrating a victim 13 to 15 years old while in a position of authority. Judge Carolina A. Lamas, who presided over the case in Hennepin County District Court, opted to reduce Lee’s sentence by more than 30% compared to state sentencing guidelines.

In her Minnesota Sentence Guidelines Departure statement, Lamas cited Lee’s offense as a “crime less onerous than usual” as her reasoning for departing from the sentencing guideline.

Lee was acquitted of a second similar count of criminal sexual contact.
    'less onerous than usual'?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dyllon DePalma

Arizona martial arts instructor accused of sexual conduct with teenage student
    By Brent Corrado Published March 24, 2023 Updated March 25, 2023 Crime and Public Safety

Gilbert Police say 22-year-old Dyllon DePalma had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old girl he met as an instructor at DePalma's Team USA Martial Arts.

GILBERT, Ariz. - Police say a man who works as a martial arts teacher in Gilbert has been arrested for allegedly engaging in sexual conduct with a 15 year old.

Gilbert Police say Dyllon DePalma, a 22-year-old man who works as an instructor at DePalma's Team USA Martial Arts, was arrested on March 18 "following an investigation which alleges that DePalma engaged in Sex Conduct" with the victim, who is purportedly a student of the martial arts studio.

DePalma was booked into jail on three felony counts of sexual conduct with a minor and is being held on a $25,000 bond.

Police are asking any other victims or anyone with further information on DePalma to contact them at 480-503-6500 and reference report DR 23-37115.

Dyllon DePalma (Gilbert PD)
    Oh no. I know this guy's dad. We went to Shaolin Temple together in 95 & 96.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Michael Basse

University Place martial arts instructor faces child rape charges dating back to 2007
    by Ryan Simms, KOMO News ReporterTue, April 25th 2023, 5:49 PM PDT
    UserWay icon for accessibility widget

Michael Basse, the accused sexual abuser with alleged incidents dating back to 2007.(Photo: Tacoma Attorney Loren Cochran and Cochran Douglas, PLLC)

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. — The Pierce County Prosecutor's Office has filed multiple counts of child rape and molestation against a former University Place coach, martial arts instructor, and University Place School District employee.

According to court papers, 59-year-old Michael Basse was charged with eight counts of child rape and five counts of child molestation. A judge ordered Basse to be held in custody on $250,000 bail.

In total, prosecutors said six people have accused Basse of abuse so far. They told KOMO News that Basse's alleged sex crimes dated back to at least 2007. According to court documents, several victims reported that they had sex with Basse at the Tenchikan Dojo in Tacoma, where Basse worked as an instructor. So far, prosecutors said it doesn't appear that any of the alleged victims actually took classes at the martial arts studio.

"Never in my presence was he inappropriate and I never had a student mention anything or come to me with any complaints," said an employee of Tenchikan Dojo, adding that Basse left the martial arts studio in 2016.

In court filings, prosecutors wrote that they uncovered Basse's alleged crimes in October 2022 when one of his accusers visited the University Place Police Department. The victim said his first sexual encounter with Basse was when he was 15 years old. He told police Basse offered and then performed oral sex on him.

Upon further investigation, police said they located the second victim, who reported that he had been abused by Basse when he was just nine years old. As in the first case, the alleged victim said Busse assaulted him at the Tenchikan Dojo, as well as several other places.

“These survivors need answers not only from Basse but also from organizations and entities that gave Basse unfettered access to these kids for so long," said Loren Cochran, an attorney retained as the victims' advocate in this case.

Eventually, police said several other victims came forward, including the brother of the initial victim. According to prosecutors, three of the alleged victims said that Basse threatened them with physical violence if they ever reported the crimes to police.

"He had a military background, he had a martial arts background, he was known to have weapons, he took a lot of these kids to the shooting range, so when he made a threat, as a young kid, they believed him," said Cochran.

On Monday, prosecutors told the judge more victims were being interviewed by detectives and more criminal charges against Basse are expected to be filed.

“When you look at the detail of the kind of abuse that was going on, it is as bad as I’ve seen in more than 20 years of practice," Cochran told KOMO.

Cochran added that sexual misconduct allegations led to Basse being fired from the University Place School District in 2016. Despite the allegations, Cochran said that Basse never faced criminal charges in that incident.

"There were red flags that could’ve stopped this ten years ago at least," he told KOMO. "This could’ve been prevented."
    Red flags are obvious in hindsight
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips