Thread: New MMA "International Fight League" to begin in 2006

New MMA "International Fight League" to begin in 2006

Okay so check it . . .
    Official PR
    Mixing the rising popularity of mixed martial arts (MMA) with the established team- and season-based approach found in America's most loved sports, today it was announced that the International Fight League (IFL) has been formed. The IFL will feature some of the MMA world's most-recognized and revered names as its coaches and fighters, each competing in live events throughout the year. The new league has been created by Gareb Shamus, founder and chairman of the comics empire Wizard Entertainment Group, and Kurt Otto, a highly successful New Jersey real estate investor and a life-long martial arts participant.

"The IFL's goal, shared by the coaches and fighters, is two-fold: first, to elevate the sport to the elite level it deserves and treat mixed martial arts fighters like professional athletes, and second, to use the team and season-based approach that works so well in the NFL, NBA and MLB. This hasn't been done before in MMA. Fighters have been treated much like they are in the boxing world -- scrounging from fight to fight and promotion to promotion. We are giving the MMA athlete a level of respect they have earned and, frankly, they deserve."

* The events will be held in a ring (not in a cage), believed to be the
    most conducive environment for fighters, fans and production.

* As part of the new league's innovative premise, each of the original
    teams will have a set annual operating budget, which will include
    expense guidelines.

* Day-to-day operations will be determined by the IFL's coaches, who will
    serve as managers who hand-pick and assemble their teams.

* They, along with their athletes, will be guaranteed a base income and
    health benefits no matter how many times they compete during their
    contracted periods, along with a bonus system that will offer
    individual and team incentives for performance.

The first event will be taking place in a major live venue in mid-2006. Teams will represent numerous regions of the world, as well as the various disciplines currently highlighted in the sport. There will be teams of five -- consisting of lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight. The IFL will launch with four teams in a single elimination tournament. At the first event all four teams will compete, one team will vie against another, with ten fights taking place. The two winning teams will meet approximately six weeks later to see who the Championship team will be.

Gareb Shamus had this to say . . .
    "Well, my whole life, I’ve been dealing with superheroes; characters with exceptional abilities above and beyond the usual. When Kurt introduced me to the world of MMA, I immediately recognized these guys have extraordinary skills and abilities they can perform that go beyond those of a typical human. As we went along, I understood exactly who these guys are and why fans admire what they are capable of, which is the ability to do what most people can’t. These fighters are essentially real life superheroes and I “get” why they appeal to others…"

For those who don't know . . . The above mentioned Wizard Entertainment Group publishes, among other magazines, WIZARD

I wonder if they'll get the competitors to dress up in brightly colored spandex.

why am i having visions of Kips cage fighting career from napoleon dynamite when i read that last part?

WHY?

Kung Fu is good for you.

IFL lands deal with Fox

So . . .

Underscoring the fast-growing popularity of mixed martial arts, Fox Sports Net (FSN), a division of the FOX Broadcasting Company and News Corp, today announced an agreement with the International Fight League (IFL) to nationally televise the IFL’s debut event across a series of at least three original taped telecasts that will air in May and June this year. The action-packed shows will be cut from footage gathered during the IFL’s live world premiere event taking place on Saturday, April 29 in Atlantic City at Trump Taj Mahal.

Three Original Taped Telecasts Will Air Nationally in May and June, Highlighting New League's Innovative Team-Based Concept

Have a look at the teams and their "logos" here.

International Fight League

http://www.ifl.tv/

So, i dont have cable t.v.

i get 5 basic channels. fortunately 2 of them are fox channels, one which features the IFL (international fight league for those slower guys)

I actually enjoy watching this. especially when the coaches go at it.

but man. 1 full hour of back to back to back fights, many new debuts and some names that have already developed a place as modern fight entertainers.

The last episode i watched had Renzo Gracie and Frank Shamrock doing some smack talking, so i think they are the next two coaches to go at it.

maybe monday, cant remember.

anywho. just thought i might throw it out there for those who love to watch sport fighting and may not be aware of this program.

I cant wait till Thailand gets on the roster !!
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I went down to Moline and watched the IFL. It's not a bad show and free on tv.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I like it. Most especially the quicker stand up from a stalled position on the ground.

another good showcase for up and coming talent.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

IFL is my favorite lately.

strike!

IFL & comics

Check out our IFL origins thread. Now that's entertainment!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I liked shoenhauer... he has a pretty decent ground game, but doesn't abuse it.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Sad news from the IFL. Jeremy Williams took his own life last week. I knew Jeremy for over 10 years. Too bad he didn't reach out because there were a lot of us out there who liked and respected him and would have given him all the support in the world.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I heard he had died but didn't know it was suicide. that sucks. sorry for the loss to his family and friends.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Cam (Lugaldamhara) from the DL refs for IFL

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Sad news from the IFL. Jeremy Williams took his own life last week. I knew Jeremy for over 10 years. Too bad he didn't reach out because there were a lot of us out there who liked and respected him and would have given him all the support in the world.
    dang man, thats very lame....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

New IFL CEO

"The International Fight League, the world’s number one team-based professional mixed martial arts league, today announced a change in its senior leadership, naming Jay Larkin acting Chief Executive Officer.

Larkin, who had joined the IFL as President and Chief Operating Officer on September 21, 2007, replaces IFL co-founder Gareb Shamus, who resigned his positions as chairman and chief executive officer, effective immediately. Shamus will remain available to the IFL as a consultant."

Quote Originally Posted by Design Sifu View Post
    "The International Fight League, the world’s number one team-based professional mixed martial arts league, today announced a change in its senior leadership, naming Jay Larkin acting Chief Executive Officer.

Larkin, who had joined the IFL as President and Chief Operating Officer on September 21, 2007, replaces IFL co-founder Gareb Shamus, who resigned his positions as chairman and chief executive officer, effective immediately. Shamus will remain available to the IFL as a consultant."
    **** Shamus. First, he lets my favorite letter-answerer-guy for Wizard leave (this is years ago, btw), now THIS?! I feel mildly betrayed.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.