Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragonball

what do u mean about forbidden kingdom? it was a hit. and a pretty decent movie. i hope we're not gonna have this whole convo about goku's race, because he is an alien, his race is saiyen not japanese.

well dragon ball takes place in japan in the anime for the most part it seems. seeing as how all the names are pretty much japanese for the humans. and forbidden kindgom is in china, but its all in freaking english. i would rather read sub titles.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

well i guess all the names may have been japanese just because japanese people wrote it...

but goku sure was a short guy with black hair and black eyes...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

also i highly enjoyed forbidden kingdom. one of the few movies i actually went to the theatre to see.

but, and i think a lot of people would agree with me, there was just a slight bit "off" with forbidden kingdom, not enough to ruin the movie at all, but it was there. the $$ does back some decisions for sure.

well they never say if dragon ball is in a specific country you assume japan but its really just a futuristic city. and you gotta remember when i movie is pg13 its for the general public and the general public doesnt like to read.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    and you gotta remember when i movie is pg13 its for the general public and the general public doesnt like to read.
    I guess this means we can pretty much count out any pig-man characters who have a fettish for sniffing women's panties... dam--n you PG-13, dam--n YOU!!!!

Lucas I loved forbidden kingdom.

Even though Jet Li totally phoned in his performance.

Also Akira Toriyama made the original manga as a response to Chinese folk stories. If it's set anywhere in the actual world it's probably actually in China rather than Japan.

Or possibly both.
    Last edited by SimonM; 12-11-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    well they never say if dragon ball is in a specific country you assume japan but its really just a futuristic city. and you gotta remember when i movie is pg13 its for the general public and the general public doesnt like to read.
    rofl

to true.

and ya, simon / doug i get ya. I think that there isnt even japan or china, its just that weird anime otherworld stuff. i think they call it 'earth' but then there is a lot that makes it seem like some other planet all together.

but ill watch dragonball, and you know what. ill probably like it

im notorious for loving pretty much any action movie, pretty much regardless.
    Last edited by Lucas; 12-11-2008 at 10:42 AM.

I understand creative liberties, but Roshi had facial hair, they could have at least given Chow Yun Fat a little Goat-t or something, or at least the ducky boy sun glasses. There probably was or is no easy way to make someones hair like Goku's so I understand that.
    I've only seen one trailer so far and it didn't look like they included Yamcha.
    I think the best way to watch this movie is to not compare it to the anime, but as something completely different with the same characters done differently. Kinda like Marvel's "Ultimate" series, how origins were sort of re-done.

yamcha is in db:evolution. thats another thing why the **** is it called evolution, thats retarded.

Ok, took a look at the trailer.

Does it look particularly good?

No.

Does it look like a faithful attempt to maintain the Dragonball asthetic?

Yes.

Will I watch it?

Fvck yes!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Ok, took a look at the trailer.

Does it look particularly good?

No.

Does it look like a faithful attempt to maintain the Dragonball asthetic?

Yes.

Will I watch it?

Fvck yes!
    word. I do think it looks like a really good effort. Im sure im going to be pretty entertained.

here is a pic that shows how they went for the GOKU hair do

the hair

another shot of GOKU.

GOKU

and lastly, simply because its so cool. Super Saiyan Goku Vs. Superman

Goku vs Supes

Any word on the release date?
    Simon McNeil

Japan Premiere" 3/13/2009 - U.S. Premiere: 4/8/2009

CRI has the posters - click the link below to see Chatwin fondling his ball.

'Dragonball' Posters Published
    The upcoming Hollywood adaptation of the popular comic book "Dragon Ball" released a trailer and promotional posters featuring the lead actors on Wednesday.

"Dragonball Evolution", the adaptation, stars Canadian actor Justin Chatwin as the main character, Goku, and American star James Marsters as the antagonist, Lord Piccolo.

Chinese talents were heavily involved in the making of the film. They include Chow Yun-Fat, who plays Goku's mentor, and the film's producer, Stephen Chow. Hong Kong-born American filmmaker James Wong directed the film.

The film chronicles the adventures of martial artist Goku from childhood into adulthood. It is the latest addition to the "Dragon Ball" media franchise, which was created by Japanese anime artist Akira Toriyama in 1984, and now includes TV, book, film, and video game products.

"Dragonball Evolution" is slated for Asian release on March 13 next year, before opening in U.S. theaters in April
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Talking

Thanks Gene...

heh... fondling his ball.
    Here's the wiki page.

Yamcha is listed as a character as are Chi Chi and Bulma.

Plus James Marsters as Piccolo (woot) and the woman who played the swordsmith's daughter in Heroes as the main female villain.
    Last edited by SimonM; 12-12-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Simon McNeil