Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragonball

World Premiere March 12th...

...in South Korea...

02-18-2009 16:31
    'Dragonball' to Make World Premiere in Korea
    By Lee Hyo-won Staff Reporter

The explosively popular Japanese comic ``Dragon Ball'' comes to life via Hollywood as ``Dragonball: Evolution.'' Before its world premiere March 12 in South Korea, the movie's cast of fresh young actors, Asian superstar Chow Yun-fat and former K-pop star Joon Park (Park Joon-hyung) turned up the temperature a notch in Seoul with their promotional tour Tuesday.

The original 500-plus-episode cartoon is based on the epic fantasy ``Chinese Odyssey.'' First published in 1984, it sold over 200 million copies worldwide and has been made into three TV animation series, 21 movies and 25 video games.

The new Stephen Chow production brings the story of a teenaged Goku (Justin Chatwin) who, upon the dying wishes of his adoptive grandfather (Randall Duk Kim), seeks out the great masters Roshi (Chow Yun-fat) and Bulma (Emmy Rossum). With his friends Yamcha (Joon Park) and Chi Chi (Jamie Chung), he must gather all seven magical orbs or Dragon Balls before the evil Lord Piccolo (James Marsters) uses them to conquer the world.

Extensive clips of the movie were revealed exclusively for the Korean press. ``I also love the comic books, but the manga is very (long). There's no way to put all that in the movie,'' said director James Wong (``Final Destination''). ``The goal also is to be able to introduce `Dragonball' not only to fans but those who don't know it,'' he said, adding that he wanted to craft a story that is relatable to a young audience. ``Hopefully we'll have a chance to tell the rest of it in subsequent movies.'' The creation of sequels will depend on the success of the upcoming film, he said.

Chatwin (``Invisible''), who had been a fan of the TV cartoon, said he was both excited and fearful of interpreting such an iconic character. He had to undergo intense martial arts training ― ``vomiting because they pushed us so hard.'' ``But it's a super fun movie and I'm absolutely honored,'' he said.

Chow, the hero of Hong Kong noir films, plays a rather comical role in the movie. Dressed in all black instead of his character's Hawaiian shirt, he jokingly said his wife ― who is also his manager and mentor ― ``forced'' him to take the role because she needed ``money to buy a very famous bag.'' He threw the crowded pressroom into more bouts of laughter with humorous Korean phrases. Chow was last here 15 years ago for shooting an action movie. He said he was surprised with the modernization, ``but kimchi is still the same'' as it is with the passionate people.

Park said it was a great honor to work with Chow in his second Hollywood movie after ``Speed Racer.'' ``Mr. Chow is such a huge star but on the set he is so humble and professional, and gave me a lot of guidance,'' he said. About working in the United States, the former G.O.D. rapper said he felt proud to see that the Korean film industry is as sophisticated as Hollywood.

A group of young women waited outside the venue, screaming each time Park spoke. Chung, an up and coming Korean American actress (``Chuck and Larry'') said she was surprised to witness Park's popularity when his fans greeted him at the airport Monday. ``He's my `oppa' (big brother); he took care of me,'' she said about working with Park. ``I'm so proud to be here,'' she said.

Screen beauty Rossum, who recently shot an advertisement here, said she was happy to return. ``Everyone here has a good sense of humor and I can see why everyone likes `Dragon Ball.''' Looking striking in a red dress, she said she tried to bring Bulma to life as a ``feisty, determined, intelligent, and yes, hopefully a little sexy, woman.''

Marsters pointed out that the movie is based on ``Dragon Ball'' rather than ``Dragon Ball Z'' and that his character Lord Piccolo is a powerful, muscular villain rather than a decrepit old man. Another difference, he said, is that the film does not feature Lord Piccolo's superpower ability of dismembering himself.

World premiere in South Korea on March 12. For all ages. Distributed by 20th Century Fox Korea.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This may warrent its own thread someday...

...then again, maybe not...
    Chow Yun-Fat Seeks to Play 'Confucius'
    2009-03-04 13:27:32 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: Xie Tingting
    It might be hard for any actor to receive unanimous praise for playing the role of Confucius, but Chow Yun-Fat wants to try.

It might be hard for any actor to receive unanimous praise for playing the role of Confucius, the greatest Chinese thinker, but Chow Yun-Fat says he wants to try.

The "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" actor has signed on to play the title role in director Hu Mei's new movie, "Confucius", the newspaper Metropolis Express reported on Wednesday.

In an interview with the Hong Kong publication Tungstar, Chow confirmed he had been invited and would like to accept the offer, but final negotiations still need to be ironed out.

Chow's latest offering is the Hollywood-made fantasy adventure "Dragonball Evolution", which will open in the U.S. next month.

The international following that Chow enjoys is expected to help expand the global market for "Confucius", the Metropolis Express report says.

But opinions vary on whether Hong Kong-born Chow is able to portray the great philosopher. Some say they don't want to see a Cantonese-speaking Confucius, suggesting Chow has lots to do to improve his Mandarin.

In a survey conducted by Sina.com.cn, voices for and against are almost split down the middle.

Besides Chow, mainland actor Chen Daoming and actress Zhou Xun are reported to be joining the cast.

Director Hu Mei and the film's investors have not commented on the involvement of the three actors.

The date for filming to begin is also being kept under wraps.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this movie i think is going to be total garbage. but i will see it anyways. i was never really a fan of dbz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

well this hunk of garbage debuted in japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBjNoa6TD6I

from white people

opening weekend
    http://dbthemovie.com/
    At No. 4, Fox’s “Dragonball Evolution” premiered in eight Asian markets before its April 8 domestic opening. Director James Wong’s live-action adaptation of the famous Japanese cartoon series created by Akira Toriyama co-stars Justin Chatwin and Chow Yun-fat and drew $10.1 million from 2,110 screens.

Following heavy prerelease promotion in the region, it premiered at No. 1 in China, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore. The China opening tally, $3.4 million from 855 locales, was Fox’s fourth-highest weekend opening in the market. “Dragonball’s” No. 2 Japan bow produced $3.3 million from 540 screens.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Jamie Chung in Maxim

Here's the scans - check it out quick because they might not last long.

Jamie was also in Samurai Girl. And Maxim UK just folded.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SF BAY AREA MEMBERS can win free tickets to Dragonball

We're doing a special local promotion with Twitter. See our website for details.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

terrible

this movie looks so terrible compared to the show it has like nothing from the show on it =[

Come on now, we scored some of you free tickets...

...at least the Bay Area peeps might win. Then maybe they can deliver non-prejudiced review.

Meanwhile, we just went live with our own review. See DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION: Manga Meets American Movieland by Dr. Craig Reid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i would do jamie chung, thats all i can say positive about this movie. i still vote the 1980's Hong kong dragon pearl as the best live action dragonball. at least they stayed true to the roots.

I saw the TV spot about a week ago. I wasn't impressed.

well i even asked people in japan who have seen it they said to watch it just to laugh at how crappy it is lol

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    well i even asked people in japan who have seen it they said to watch it just to laugh at how crappy it is lol
    people going to see a film to see how crappy it is..........yeah......gonna leave that one alone........

well no not to just say its crappy but just because its so funny how off the movie is compared to the actual show. It's pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    well no not to just say its crappy but just because its so funny how off the movie is compared to the actual show. It's pretty bad.
    ok but what did you expect? dragon ball is not an anime that you make into a live action version...its just not. so you dont compare it to the show. you let it stand on its own merit. not saying its good or bad, just saying judge it for what it is.

Women with balls...I mean Dragonballz...

"give her a beer, she’ll dance" ~ best line ever.
    This article sorely needs pics.
    Emmy Rossum, Jamie Chung Dragonball Evolution
    Movie DragonBall (2009) Posted By: Sheila Roberts

MoviesOnline sat down with Emmy Rossum and Jamie Chung at the Los Angeles Press Day for their new film, “Dragonball Evolution,” directed by James Wong. Based on the popular Japanese manga created by Akira Toriyama, the film also stars Justin Chatwin, Chow Yun-Fat, James Marsters, Joon Park, Eriko, Ernie Hudson, and Randall Duk Kim.

Emmy Rossum plays Bulma, a beautiful woman intent on retrieving the mystical Dragonballs. She’s a gifted young actress and an accomplished musician. Nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 2004 for her starring performance as Christine in the film "The Phantom of the Opera," she won the National Board of Review's Best Female Breakthrough Performance Award and the Broadcast Film Critics Association's Best Young Actress Award in 2005. She starred in the action film "Poseidon," in the blockbuster "The Day After Tomorrow," in the Clint Eastwood-directed drama "Mystic River," and in the independent feature "Songcatcher," the latter winning the Special Grand Jury Prize for Outstanding Ensemble at Sundance in 2001. Rossum's performance in "Songcatcher" earned her an Independent Spirit Award nomination in the category of Best Debut Performance. Her television credits include guest starring appearances on "Law and Order," and "The Practice."

In 2007, Rossum recorded her first album for Geffen records, "Inside Out." Using her classically trained voice as the primary instrument, she wrote and recorded all her own songs. Rossum is working on her second album in between film roles.

Jamie Chung, who plays the young martial artist Chi Chi, had the lead in the hit ABC Family original mini-series "Samurai Girl." The show revolved around Heaven (Chung), the adopted daughter of wealthy parents, who strives to balance a normal life with the Samurai traditions of her ancestors. She recently completed production on the independent film "Burning Palms," directed by Christopher Landen. Set in Los Angeles, the film interlaces five stories in which each character is pulled toward a comically dark fate.

Chung completed production on the remake of the 1983 horror movie "The House on Sorority Row." The film also stars Carrie Fisher, and is currently scheduled for an October 2009 release. Additionally, Chung recently wrapped Disney's television film "The Princess Protection Program," opposite Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato. Chung also appeared in the hit movie comedy "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry." Her other television credits include a leading role on "ER," a guest-starring stint on "CSI: NY," and recurring appearances on "Greek."

Emmy Rossum and Jamie Chung are fabulous people and we really appreciated their time. Here’s what they had to tell us about their new movie, “Dragonball Evolution”:

Q: Jamie and Emmy, can you talk about your training for this?

Jamie: Samurai Girl was the perfect foundation to prepare me for the conditioning and physical challenges that 87Eleven, which is the stunt group that trained us [to fight] brought. It was a whole different level. We’re talking cable show training to motion picture training, and it was very different and it required a month prior to filming. We trained every day -- physical conditioning, martial arts, wire-works, fight choreography -- and the days that I wasn’t filming while we were on location, it was physical training

Emmy: This completely kicked my ass. I had never done anything like this before. I grew up loving Jean-Claude Van Damme movies, it’s kind of a little bit embarrassing to say. Anything with him is awesome. And I’ve always kind of wanted to do a film like that and I always wanted to play a tougher, more independent, woman character and this was the perfect opportunity to shoot three guns, learn how to ride a motorcycle and dye part of my hair blue. So, in addition to all the training that we did as a team, which was pretty rigorous thinking back on it, I can only imagine it’s kind of like how women describe childbirth. Like it’s really awful when you’re doing it -- hold on, I’m going somewhere with this, I just thought of this over lunch – but two years later you’re like, “Oh, it was amazing, it’s great.” When you’re in it, it’s really awful, but also fun, because we were doing it as a team and it’s like group childbirth.

Q: Do either of you have a dance background that helped you with the fight choreography?

Jamie: I’m sorry, I don’t dance.

Emmy: I was a ballerina when I was little. A lot of it is kind of similar to a dance in that it’s a choreographed motion. Stunt guys have a thing they call the box, which is kind of like a ballet move when you’re in first position. Your hands are like eight inches from you bellybutton, there’s like a box that you’re not supposed to hit out of when actors are fighting each other, and that’s so they don’t hurt each other. So there is a lot of coordination and dance combinations that come in handy, kind of coordinated and rehearsed in a similar kind of way, but when actors get all method and really emotional in fight scenes, people bust their lips and break their toes and all of a sudden the box is like a whole big circle.

Jamie: It’s muscle memory so it’s repetition, repetition, and you get familiar with the movements and it’s lots of training and it’s to look sharp, but I’m not a very good dancer, no.

Emmy: That’s actually not true, she can dance. She was also the best fighter.

Jamie: I just don’t dance

Emmy: She does dance, give her a beer, she’ll dance.

Jamie: Karaoke and dancing

Q: What is your take on the manga anime characters?

Emmy: I loved the manga because it was a little more R rated, and I thought that the character of Bulma – the relationship between Bulma and Roshi always was very funny, and I really enjoyed that in my studies of her. And I think we kind of took everything we could from the manga and understand that some things are going to be changed just by virtue of the fact that you’re a live actor playing it live action. It can’t be exactly like the manga, but you try to bring the spirit and the energy of the characters, and the back story that you learn from the manga, and you bring it to this story, which is really an introduction of those characters.

Jamie: And then make it PG.

Emmy: And then don’t make it naked.

Q: You have some great costumes and also some serious hair in this. Did you enjoy that?

Emmy: It’s actually really good padding for any kind of somersaults or kicks to the head. It was fun for whipping your head around. I got kind of a whiplash.

Jamie: It was fun to look pretty and then fight real tough.

“Dragonball: Evolution” opens in theaters on April 10th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips