Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dragonball

although i would question the message it sends to little girls which is "be all over the guy who kicks ass for your love".
    this is exactly the message we need to be sending. love th guy who kicks ass for love. not kicks our ass for love.

well i forgot to add "and know how to use qi, cause chances are the hot girl you have no chance with loves you know cause 'she is a fighter too!'"

adding to my review on the previous page,
    bulma and the guy who was suppossed to be the pig seemed under developed and just thrown in.

would have liked a bit longer movie to learn more about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Can a movie aimed primarily at men the between the ages of 14-35 really be considered to be sending any sort of message to little girls?

I know I wish my wife would fawn over me any time she sees me doing any of my kung fu stuff. Used to happen, I was doing Zhan Zhuang one night and she went absolutely crazy for me... sweat and all.

zenshiite with the win!! lol.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Yeah, you know... that would be a selling point for Tai Chi, Xing Yi, Ba Gua and Yi Quan if it worked all the time. Doesn't, unfortunately.

WTF?! SLL liked it?!?

Wow, now I got to see this. I've got a comp pass that I've been sitting on that was a perk fro our S.F. Bay Area Twitter promotion. BTW, today is the last day for that. I'm not sure if they've got their 25 yet....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I just went to see it yesterday.

Any DB or DBZ fan is gonna have to go in as objective as they possibly can. Although there are some similarities to the anime/manga, there will be more than a little differences, that if you compare the film to the manga/anme, will leave you scratching your head or thinking WTF. So viewer be advised, go in with the idea that you have no idea what Dragonball is and without any notion of having it do more than have a superficial resemblence to anything else you may know as Dragonball.

Just like the Street Fighter/Chun Li movie, I expected it to suck really bad, and it did, but not to any degree that I wanted to walk out the theatre at any point. It's worth a rental or at least a view when it comes out on cable TV, or just to at least satisfy curiosity if you are a fan of the anime or manga.

Of the things there may be, to be dissapointed about with the film, the biggest would probably have to be that Toriyama's name was even associated as an executive producer. I assume other than that, he had little to no input on the film. Initially I was dissapointed as well with the actor for the Yamcha character, my first impression is that he may be one of the worst actors I've seen in a film recently, but looking back, he probably acted more in line with the anime than any of the other actors. They held mild semblences of the anime characters, but not more than that.

Although watchable, the bottom line is another failure in a long line of failures to adapt a manga/anime into a movie. One day Hollywood will realize they don't have to fix something that is'nt broken, and they don't need to rewrite stories and characters that are already successful, or at least accepted and EXPECTED. One would think that some of the way was already shown and proven to a degree through the successes of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the re-booted Batman franchises. The closer to the source material, the better.

although i would question the message it sends to little girls which is "be all over the guy who kicks ass for your love".
    Its OKAY! They all went to see the Hannah Montana movie instead! Which Sam Rubin called the "Best movie of the year!" Even better than all those stupid boring totally lame oscar winning movies! Hannah Montana for prez!...

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Its OKAY! They all went to see the Hannah Montana movie instead! Which Sam Rubin called the "Best movie of the year!" Even better than all those stupid boring totally lame oscar winning movies! Hannah Montana for prez!...
    hannah montana for the loss.

aw shoot

It's already gone. And I had a comp pass. I was just too busy to get out for it before it left the theater run. I was totally planning to go next week.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Its okay, you didn't miss much. Go see "Fighting" instead

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Its okay, you didn't miss much. Go see "Fighting" instead
    that movie was trash...dragon ball was probably better.

Ehh, Fighting was pretty good. In that, it was a decent movie that was a huge step up from Never Back Down... THAT was trash.

But if you didn't like anything else in Fighting, Terrence Howard's performance was definitely unique given his usual characters.

The story has been done over and over again, but I thought the execution was pretty good. I give it props for not really trying at all to capitalize on the MMA fad, no loud overplayed hip hop in every scene, no idiotic "evil" villans, no vague mr. miyagi wannabe trainers.

It wasn't as good as it could be, it could've been a lot better. But for what it was and what we've been getting lately (Dragonball, Street Fighter, Never Back Down), Fighting was a huge step above.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    Although watchable, the bottom line is another failure in a long line of failures to adapt a manga/anime into a movie. One day Hollywood will realize they don't have to fix something that is'nt broken, and they don't need to rewrite stories and characters that are already successful, or at least accepted and EXPECTED. One would think that some of the way was already shown and proven to a degree through the successes of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the re-booted Batman franchises. The closer to the source material, the better.
    Amen!

I'm glad that I watched it online. This movie was so bad that it makes "Manos: Hands of Fate" look Oscar-worthy.

I will say the best part of the movie was the super delicious Jaimie Chung. I have a large package I would like to deliver to her front porch!!!

I will say the best part of the movie was the super delicious Jaimie Chung. I have a large package I would like to deliver to her front porch!!!
    Get in Line