Thread: Ninja in Ancient China

Ninja in Ancient China

This rare kung fu flick directed by Shaw Brothers master Chang Cheh is now available from our website.

http://www.greenfandvd.com

This is a 1993 production but it definitely has an old school feel to it.....and lots of fights.

Looks like some awesome mainland action with crazy costumes. I will be checking this out for sure!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

looks pretty cool! But it was hard to hold suppress an expectation for the Megazord to come out...
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Did Chang Cheh really direct this?
    Last edited by CLFNole; 11-19-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Greetings,

IMDB has this film as being made in 1989. Even so, it does not have the Shaw Brothers feel to it in choreography and settings. Zhang Cheh's eyesight must have been going at this point; he had a reputation for making "men's" martial flicks and none of the actors appear to fit the Zhang Cheh good looking/handsome hero mold.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Did Chang Cheh really direct this?
    He was probably asleep in his chair while his actors directed it, but still, it is a chang cheh movie.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

This was made in 1992/1993 and was written and directed by Chang Cheh. This film shares a lot of the same themes and style that was evident throughout Chang Cheh's career - as discussed in the audio commentary.

"good looking/handsome here mold"

Have you ever seen the Venoms!?

Ninja in Ancient China is finally available to purchase from our site http://www.greenfandvd.com

If you guys have any questions then feel free to ask them here.

Thanks

not to sure but i think this was changs last film. that he made after all his protoge's got togather and made hero's shed no tears or something like that. so that he can have moeny to retire but instead he made another film that sucked and i think and i say I THINK this was it.

The film that was made to provide Chang with a some money for his retirement was 'Just Heroes'. He did indeed use the money from this film to help fund a following 4 films. He went on to make 'Slaughter in Xian', 'Journey to the West', 'Hidden Hero' and 'Ninja in Ancient China'.
    'Ninja in Ancient China' is a good movie with a lot of intricate, acrobatic fights and certainly doesnt "suck".
    But then I would say that wouldnt I