Thread: LKW Footage

LKW Footage

Quite a coincidence that I just came across this online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7iv_8XD6k

Surprised he didnt learn a couple forms and walk away with a new book when he was there.

Cheers,
    Nate
    Last edited by Qixing Tanglang; 11-19-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Guys in blue at the end were interesting. Since when does LKW do groundwork? They were doing the majority of the techniques wrong, but hey, at least they are doing it! Some clinch work as well! Did not expect to see that with LKW group!

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Guys in blue at the end were interesting. Since when does LKW do groundwork? They were doing the majority of the techniques wrong, but hey, at least they are doing it! Some clinch work as well! Did not expect to see that with LKW group!

Cheers
    Jake
    Hi Jake,

That is a Japanese TV interview/show. The guy(s) in blue is the Japanese host who is a MMA guy. I believe there's a few episodes out there including one that has a Shooto and JKD (Inusanto's line) stylist, who is a huge fan of Bruce Lee. I think the host is just exchanging info with the LKW group that's all.

On a side note, I think Ku guys in the Americas are more inclined to get some clinching and ground these days, which is a good thing IMHO.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thanks Robert. What are Ku guys?
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

After watching that clip it is easier to understand why the LKW line of Mantis has such upright footwork in thier forms. That training hall was so small. Can't imagine training weapons in thier. Weapons forms must be modified a little.

Rgds,
    Nate

I may be wrong but i get the feeling the guy working the thai pads at the end of this clip is that coach who was featured widely on the net about 2 years ago kicking and punching the sh.t out of his own students (and from memory, possibly beating them with a stick).

Are you talking about the Shooto coach from Japan? Really? I will have to look at him again, but I did not think it was the same cat.
    Maybe.
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

I don't think its the same guy, I think the guy in the clip was one of the main Bushido guys, I think that was the japanese shoot format pre UFC.

Nate, its obvious you don't like/agree with LKW mantis but most of the forms can be done without difficulty in LKWs school, long weapons are a bit awkard but atleast it develops your control and space awareness.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Paul, I think Nates comment was more of an observation rather than a disagreeance. It is true that LKWs guys play mantis a little higher than others, not a bad thing, just an observation.

But that doesn't count for everyone. I'm LKW lineage but play my forms quite low and routed.

Its all good

craig

Craig's right, it all depends on the player.

But that is without a doubt a small studio and it certainly would limit footwork, in the sense of training forms at least.

The idea about training spatial awareness with long weapons is a little wishy washy in my mind. But once again that is only forms anyways. Real fights can take place anywhere especially in confined spaces.

On a lessor note, knowing how expensive rents are in HK it would be difficult otherwise to lease a bigger space without running yourself into debt.

Rgds,
    Nate
    Last edited by Qixing Tanglang; 11-23-2007 at 01:52 AM.

On the whole I agree and I think LKW has other locations for classes as well as his school. I think you need to practice forms in diferent places and I find that it helps if I do the forms in different directions/locations. As a note my old school was even shorter in length than LKWs school, I had to do Dai Fan Che corner to corner to fit it in!

I take the point about different people playing the forms higher or lower...many years ago now I studied Choy Li Fut after a 2 year foundation in Wing Chun and my sifu used to constantly tell me to lower/widen my stance.

Paul

yea those CLF guys sure know how to rock a stance

To be honest it totally depends on the technique. So many people pull apart forms saying 'this stance is too high' or 'this stance isn't rooted enough'.....basically separating the legs from the rest of the body. A 'seven star' stance isn't exclusive to itself....it should be based on whatever technique goes with it. If im rocking the 'waist chopping palm in seven star' then obviously a deeper stance works better, but if its merely a transitional step then it doesn't require such a deep stance.

But then again ive only been training mantis for like 3 years so.....I could be wrong

craig
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 11-23-2007 at 04:24 PM.