Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lama Sup Ji

Lama Sup Ji

I think this was at the wong fei hung tournament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkz1tFW68N0
    Last edited by fu kok; 11-19-2007 at 08:38 AM.

cjurakpt Guest
    not bad; interesting to see how some of the moves have evolved over time...

I have got confused maybe but you said you are not his student so why is every post you have just to sell this one school

Quote Originally Posted by LiMingHe1970 View Post
    I have got confused maybe but you said you are not his student so why is every post you have just to sell this one school
    I don't have to be a student to be a fan. When you go to a lot of tournaments you make a few friends. I guess you can hold me guilty for trying to promote a friends school so what of it. I do CLF and White Crane and our Sifu's are friends.

If you haven't noticed this is the southern forum where people post vids of them selves or friends from other schools all the time.

What lineage is your CLF from?

hskwarrior
    WARRIOR NATION! Join Date: Jun 2005

Green Cloud CLF Applications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nice work gus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8b3yARd6qU

Case in point this is an example Sifu Frank starting a thread to plug a friends Vid.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    What lineage is your CLF from?
    I'm pretty new at ths stuff but my Sifu's lineage is Chan Family, we only have a few forms that we do from CLF. My school mostly focuses on Lion Dancing.

another vid

WOW!

I am sad to see how much the form has changed in 20 years, since it was first taught.

The performer is a good athlete and makes a good showing however.

Unfortunatly, that is VERY different from how the style, the forms and the techniques are really played.

I made an instructional video of this form back in 94. Here is the clip so that there is no confusion about Chan Tai-San's Lama style and how it should be done. Even though the tape was not done at full/performace speed, it is clear how the form should be played and the energy of the style.

Lama Pai Sahp Jih Kyuhn

The performer in the clip does a lot of jumping, I assume as a method to generate power. This is not how it is done in the Lama style. You will also notice that many of the techniques have been changed; albeit some slightly but some COMPLETLY.

Sifu David Ross was actually the original person to learn this form back in 1987 I believe. The following year he taught it to me. Students of Chan Tai-San frequently exchanged forms, patterns and combinations with each other. I have the original tapes of David learning it in the Duk Chan in Chinatown, NY. I'm sure David will also attest to the fact that this forms is waaay away from the original version or how the style is supposed to be done.

It is unfortunate when forms or styles 'devolve' over such a short period of time (1 generation).

I will also be putting out some new Lama clips as well. Not intending to hijack this thread, but it's hard for me to just sit back and watch a style that myself and my classmates work so hard on,...being butchered, for lack of a better word. No, on second thought; 'butchered' is a pretty accurate description.

Sidebar; NOWHERE did I mention the teacher of the performer, make reference to his name or imply or infer anything about him. I am only commenting on what I am watching here. So this has nothing to do with any flame-war, just me calling it like it is as an authority on the style.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 11-26-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    WOW!

I am sad to see how much the form has changed in 20 years, since it was first taught.

The performer is a good athlete and makes a good showing however.

Unfortunatly, that is VERY different from how the style, the forms and the techniques are really played.

I made an instructional video of this form back in 94. Here is the clip so that there is no confusion about Chan Tai-San's Lama style and how it should be done. Even though the tape was not done at full/performace speed, it is clear how the form should be played and the energy of the style.

Lama Pai Sahp Jih Kyuhn

The performer in the clip does a lot of jumping, I assume as a method to generate power. This is not how it is done in the Lama style. You will also notice that many of the techniques have been changed; albeit some slightly but some COMPLETLY.

It is unfortunate when forms or styles 'devolve' over such a short period of time (1 generation).

I will also be putting out some new Lama clips as well. Not intending to hijack this thread, but it's hard for me to just sit back and watch a style that myself and my classmates work so hard on,...being butchered, for lack of a better word.
    It has become very "popular" over the last 15 years, perhaps more so, to modify the forms to make them "better for competition", I recall one of the last competitions I was at I so people doing kicks in Seiunchin and even the splits in Sanchin !!
    I cried a tear for the death of forms that day.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by fu kok View Post
    I'm pretty new at ths stuff but my Sifu's lineage is Chan Family, we only have a few forms that we do from CLF. My school mostly focuses on Lion Dancing.
    Fu kok, does your school do poison snake? Seven Star?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It has become very "popular" over the last 15 years, perhaps more so, to modify the forms to make them "better for competition", I recall one of the last competitions I was at I so people doing kicks in Seiunchin and even the splits in Sanchin !!
    I cried a tear for the death of forms that day.
    Making a form a little 'showy' for a tournament - I can understand. That is not what we are talking about here. Adding some sounds, snappy headmovement, pauses - I can understand (not that it was done here).

Changing the way the techniques are done so that they barely or no longer represent the original technique - that is what I mean. You don't have to change a technique for a tournament.

This form wasn't augmented for a tournament. It is the way it is being taught.

Making a form a little 'showy' for a tournament - I can understand. That is not what we are talking about here. Adding some sounds, snappy headmovement, pauses - I can understand (not that it was done here).

Changing the way the techniques are done so that they barely or no longer represent the original technique - that is what I mean. You don't have to change a technique for a tournament.

This form wasn't augmented for a tournament. It is the way it is being taught.
    You guys in the TCMA community get a lot of that from what I gather, too much "inner circle/closed door" stuff and people wanting the "real" *insert tcma here*.

Or, as it happens, a great deal of pratitioners all over the country, learning a little bit of a style and then teaching it. You can see clips of people all over the world on youtube and see how many styles have devolved.

Not everyone is a good martial artist.

Not everyone can grasp a teachers teachings.

Not everyone puts their required time in to become good.

Not everyone is smart - (yes, you need some intelligence to get it)

Or, as it happens, a great deal of pratitioners all over the country, learning a little bit of a style and then teaching it. You can see clips of people all over the world on youtube and see how many styles have devolved.

Not everyone is a good martial artist.

Not everyone can grasp a teachers teachings.

Not everyone puts their required time in to become good.

Not everyone is smart - (yes, you need some intelligence to get it)
    Quite correct, I know a fellow that is such an example, though he trained a certain TCMA for close to 15 years, he thought he had learned what the system had to offer, fact is, he didn't, but what does it say about a system and a teacher that, after 15 years someone is that "ignorant" of his own system ?