Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is unique to wing chun

What do you think is unique to wing chun

Well, there's the question: what do you think is unique about wing chun. What does it have or do that no other martial art does?

It's strategy.

ME

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Theoretical non-fighters.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

And grandmothers.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Terence and Dale

well, WC's expression of the so called "elbow force" is IMO unique.

Other Southern systems use the concept but I haven't encounted the same expression, specifically the way the stance is used in WC to support the elbow force.

Real high quality close quarter striking and blocking done virtually simultaneously.

Oh, and yeah....Terence and Dale.

IMHO the use of wrist (inch) power in attack and defencive actions and what i call 'multi point touch' (just a name guys ) which is actions with rotating limbs- leading force away...is unique to VT.

Many other styles have similar type mechanics but IME our use is different therefore unique from that POV.

With regard to my personal VT style its what makes my actions sharp as well as heavy.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

The system. The style. The Perpetual Interpretations.

Wing Chun has simple, direct and tangiable theories at its core which some may view as being enough to get on with for more than one lifetime.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I think one of wing chuns uniqueness is it teaches a person to use both sides of the body equally.
    Finally Got my Sifu to share our Ngo Dac Na systematized training online.

You can visit us on Youtube

You can also find us at EnterShaolin.com

not saying it's unique, but i cant think of too many other styles (in my limited knowledge) that have hips 'square on' to your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    IMHO the use of wrist (inch) power in attack and defencive actions and what i call 'multi point touch' (just a name guys ) which is actions with rotating limbs- leading force away...is unique to VT.

Many other styles have similar type mechanics but IME our use is different therefore unique from that POV.

With regard to my personal VT style its what makes my actions sharp as well as heavy.

DREW
    I like Drew's statement of leading force away using rotating limbs.

IMO what is unique about WC is the body mechanics and structure we use to develop our body engine. How we use that engine is up to us depending on the situation, but I see WC now as a training method instead of a strict style of Martial Art, because in the end you use from it what you need. All the nuances of facing, hips mechanics, concepts like using the ground as a power base, elbow in, etc...may not be absolutely unique to WC, but WC trains these things to a highly developed level, giving one a very effective base or foundation to control someone physically while standing up (controlling someone is relative of course, depending on their skills as well as a athlete or fighter, the higher their skills are the harder it gets to control them). Another unique thing is that once the tools are sharpened and developed, I find that they are easily maintained, because WC is concept based, not technique based. Concepts allow you to adapt to various situations and usage (only when you have the tools to use them properly), and gives you almost limitless versatility in execution. Also, you can think about this stuff (visualization) and maintain skill level. Many times within my years of involvement with WC has this point been proven to me, through my own personal experience and that of others. When you physically master a movement, your brain knows how to do it. The brain does not know the difference between something vividly imagined or real, so therefore when you get skilled in Wing Chun and absorb it within your neurological system, you are practicing when thinking about it. I don't recommend that you rely on visualization totally as a way to maintain effectiveness with the system, but it can help when you are unable to practice for a period of time.

All of the above is only a reflection of what the potential of the art is for a someone, not a guarantee of success in a fight, as no MA can do that. Only individuals make it alive and useful, and it is in this area that there is allot of grey shades. All of us have different reasons and motivations for doing what we do, therefore our skills, abilities, understanding regarding WC will vary to high degrees.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Real high quality close quarter striking and blocking done virtually simultaneously.

Oh, and yeah....Terence and Dale.

Too bad we never see any of that in the TWC sparring clips.

Quote Originally Posted by KimWingChun View Post
    It's strategy.

Nailed it.