I have been taught a few anologies in my past. I just thought I might blurt them out here
1. Like the bubbles that arise from the bed of the river, they come unexpectedly and then pass away.
2. Like the emergence of the beautiful lotus flower from the dirtiest of waters.
3. To keep your mind as still as a candle flame in a room with no wind, one pointedness.

Few very simple methods I have been taught.

1. Relax and watch your thoguhts, without being attached or avert towards your thoughts, watch as thoughts come and watch as they disappear.
2. Sit in lotus, eyes slightly open n gazing at the tip of the nose, tongue on the roof of the mouth. Pay no attention to anything but the breath, in and out. As the thoughts quietens and sharpens, but keep your thoughts sharpened like a candle flame.
3. I personally recommend my favourite, makes you very happy. Breathe normally, anywhere you go. When you breathe in, imagine breathing in all the suffering in the environment around you, for all beings, visible or non-visible. When you exhale, exhale white positive energy to the environment around you.

there's my 2 cents worth :)