Thread: Kung Fu Girl Riesling

Cool Kung Fu Girl Riesling

sounds tasty and inexpensive.
    2006 Kung Fu Girl Columbia Valley Riesling
    SKU #1031596

A memorable name for a memorable wine; Kung Fu Girl Riesling, from Walla Walla based K Vintners, is so named, according to the company, "because Riesling and Girls kick ass!" From grapes grown in the rocky soils of Evergreen Vineyard in the Columbia Valley this Riesling will surprise you with its one-two-punch of Asian pear and peach aromas combined with fruit and mineral flavors. And best of all? Your wallet won't take a beating.
    Kung Fu Girl Riseling 2006 wine review by (PB)

Another one of Charles Smith's AKA-K Vintners- bizarre wines. Don't let the goofy label and silly name steer you away. This is one of the best Rieslings I have had in years from any country including Germany! And this one comes from Washington state.

It is a pale straw colored with beautiful peach, apple and pear aromas. The palate is crisp--very crisp--tasty and juicy with flavors of fresh green and yellow fruit. This wine is just really well made and finishes with crisp pears. At the $14 price tag, buy them up and just say WOW! Raise a glass.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Kung Fu Girl Riesling

I really gotta try this stuff. Follow the link and check out the tasting blog.
    Kung Fu Girl Riesling 2008
    By Jennifer Biggs on August 20, 2009 5:06 PM

Tonight I guess I'll have to make the switch to sushi and forget about my BLT. When Angela Moon was with us earlier this month, she told us about this wine and everyone wanted to taste it--so she's good enough to come back for a second August tasting. It turned out that wine blogger Jennifer C. recently had it with sushi and liked it, so I'm taking her lead. Come back at 7 and join us for this riesling everyone is telling me is great.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Girl Riesling continued!

I just poached this thread out of the my-kung-fu-booze thread but not on a whimsy. You'll see why soon.

Raise your glass, Pioneer Valley: Kung Fu Girl Riesling: Seriously good despite the whimsy

CAROL LOLLIS

Friday, December 19, 2014
    (Published in print: Saturday, December 20, 2014)

Kung Fu Girl Riesling Washington State 2013, $11.99

I find it rewarding when the big national wine magazines write about something that you can actually find on the shelves of a neighborhood store.

In this case, the 2013 Kung Fu Girl Riesling, a serious, dry Washington white wine with an artsy label and a wacky name based on a sword fight scene in a Quentin Tarantino movie, is widely available in the Pioneer Valley and has been ranked 43rd among Wine Spectator’s Top 100 Wines, a listing of what the magazine believes are the best wines in the world. In addition, the magazine rated the wine as a 91 on its 100-point scale. Kung Fu Girl also has received 90-plus ratings from the other major beverage magazines.

Wine magazines have been criticized for recommending wines that are not only hard to find, but also vintages that are off the market by the time the recommendations hit the street. Kung Fu Girl is an exception.

For example, I once took the names of a national magazine’s 40 recommended “affordable wines,” all under $30, to a couple of large stores in Las Vegas, which is a pretty good libation market, and was not able to find a single wine. As far as I know, the magazines’ top wines are to die for, but the frustration was killing me, so I quit trying to follow their leads.

Last week, I gave it one more try after Wine Spectator’s Top 100 came out, a list drawn from a blind tasting of 5,400 wines rated 90 or better. I found two available wines in the $10 range, Kung Fu Girl and Cono Sur Organic Cabernet Sauvignon Camenere from Chile. I looked for both, and found Kung Fu Girl in several area stores. The Cono Sur is not as readily available but can be ordered if you can’t find it on the shelves.

I like dry Riesling, and Kung Fu Girl fits that bill with really clean, refreshing and complex layers of flavor. Wine Spectator’s reviewer Harvey Steiman went more than a couple of steps further with his accolades when he described the Walla Walla Valley Riesling as “crisp and sleek with juicy, expansive nectarine and peach flavors (that) play against the citrusy acidity finishing with zing and a sense of softness that lets the finish keep singing.”

Kung Fu Girl, which is 100 percent Riesling, is produced by Charles Smith Wines. Winemaker Smith is sort of a zany guy, a California native who developed a love for food and wine early in life and enhanced that passion while managing rock bands in Europe, including the Danish duo The Raveonettes and the band Psyched Up Janis, the company website says.

After owning a small wine shop outside of Seattle, Smith, who was broke at the time, was able to borrow $250,000 to start his winery based on the quality of two bottles of wine he had made, according to an October 2014 profile in Wine Spectator. He parlayed the initial loan into a 330-case start-up winery in 1999 that has developed into a company that now produces more than 500,000 cases a year.

The stocky 52-year-old self-taught winemaker with shoulder-length blond curls sports a wardrobe of black rock band T-shirts and jeans. He also rides a Harley. At work, however, Smith is known as a no-nonsense guy who has used his keen business acumen to build a multi-million dollar company that produces high-quality wines ranging in price from $10 to hundreds per bottle. He made his mark with his company K-Vintners, and he started the brand House Wines, which he later sold. His other labels include Charles Smith, Charles and Charles and five others.

The name for Kung Fu Girl allegedly came out of an evening when Smith and his label designer and friend Rikke Korlf were drinking German Riesling, eating Thai food and watching the film Kill Bill, said Charles Smith representative Lisa Kaplan in an email.

“At the end on the movie there was a fight scene between Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu. Fueled by the Riesling, Charles jumped out of his chair, threw down his Thai food, slammed his hand on the table and exclaimed: ‘**** it! I’m going to make Riesling. And I am going to call it f****** Kung Fu Girl.’ And a legend was born.”

Smith, who admits that he’s prone to expletives, says on a video on his website that Kung Fu Girl is a tribute to Riesling and a recognition “that girls kick ass.” Kung Fu Girl comes from a single vineyard and benefits from the chalky gravel soils that give the wine its mineral flavors, high acidity and hint of sweetness, Smith says.

I’m a little snobbish, I suppose, about labels that don’t convey a serious wine, the ones with comic animals, for instance, but Charles Smith is all about making serious wine, having fun with wine and “drinking it.” He’s spot on about Kung Fu Girl. Check it out with grilled salmon or grilled meats.

Suggestions for wines in the $10 range are always appreciated. Warren Johnston can be reached at warren.nelson.johnston@gmail.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sounds like an excellent celebration white 'Chablis'-like German table wine. My taste in a white. Cool label.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-23-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Official sponsors of the 1st Drunken Style Championship

Kung Fu Girl Riesling is the sponsor for the first 1st Drunken Style Championship debuting at the 2015 Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Championships.

The first ten competitors to register for the 1st Drunken Style Championship will receive a complimentary bottle of Kung Fu Girl Riesling. Note that competitors must be of legal drinking age in California to enter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ouch. Misspelled Riesling in the title...

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'

Just a reminder - this year we are launching the 1st Drunken Style Championship at the Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Championship, sponsored by Kung Fu Girl Riesling!

Sarah Tunnell
    Wine lover and student. I love finding great wines at fantastic prices that are affordable for anyone and everyone. Both Oregon and Washington have some amazing options and I look forward to sharing them with everyone. Cheers!

The Frugal Wine Gal: Kung Fu Girl Reisling

Wine shopping is probably my favorite activity. Perusing the aisles filled the delicious looking wines is an adventure every time. I buy wines from all over of course, but usually I start at my local market. In Eugene we have some incredible stores that have a wide variety of options. Picking wines that anyone can find is a goal of mine though. That being said, I recently found a wine at my local supermarket that once I had my first sip I knew it was too perfect to not share. The 2013 Kung Fu Girl Riesling from Charles Smith Wines was an amazing find!

Riesling grapes on the vine (Photo credit: Anja Pietsch)

I’ve been really into finding good wines from Washington lately, and this was an example of some of the delicious varietals coming from this beautiful state. Did you know that there are 750+ wineries in the whole state? Many of these wineries are producing big bodied varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah due to the amount of warmer temperatures that the state has. Eastern Washington has an exceptionally hot climate that has some incredible grapes grown there. It is there that the grapes for the 2013 Kung Fu Riesling were grown, at Evergreen Vineyards just outside of George, Washington.

Charles Smith Wines is a label produced by owner Charles Smith. He initially started K.Vintners in 2001, and made some amazing, award winning Syrah. His second label, Charles Smith Wines, was started in 2006. This label was created with the intention making wines that were meant to be enjoyed now. Charles Smith is a world traveller and self taught winemaker that fell in love with the Walla Walla area, and decided to make his own wine there. I am sure glad he did! Not only was his first label K.Vintners named winery of the year in 2008 by Wine & Spirits Magazine, but he continues to make delicious and affordable wines today.

Riesling and I have an interesting relationship. I appreciate the sweet versions bursting with honey suck flavors but I am also drawn to the more fruit forward and crisp creations. This wine was definitely a nice balance of these two worlds. On the nose I smelled overly ripe pears and white fruits (like peaches). I initially suspected this wine would sweet since the grapes were grown in a warmer climate, and the nose was so aromatic. It was definitely more middle of the road though. The first taste – which carried a lot of the white fruit flavors like peaches and apricots was sweet, but then it had a fresh acidity to it on the end. This wine was so fresh! I loved the crisp finish with hints of citrus flavors, like lime peel. Needless to say, this bottle didn’t last too long in my house.

For those wine drinkers out there who prefer their wines on the dry side, don’t be afraid to try a medium-sweet riesling like this one. In a sense it was a traditional riesling (much like those I’ve had from Germany), but the acidity really created a unique beverage here. The balance was impeccable. Even if you prefer wines on the sweeter side, you’ll love this wine. Charles Smith Wines also produces some other wines that are not only delicious but in our frugal price point. The Velvet Devil Merlot is a great example, at only $12 a bottle.

There are so many excellent options below $20, especially in the Pacific Northwest. The best part is that each wine (even each vintage!) is so unique. The 2013 Kung Fu Girl Riesling is not only a great buy, but was perfect for any occasion. With summer coming up, having crisp white wines ready to sip on any time is essential! I picked this up at my local grocery store, for about $14. It was a real steal. Cheers!
    chicken and asparagus

Spicy chicken and asparagus. A great pair for this wine.
    I was vacationing last week and wound up in Palm Springs one evening at a chic little restaurant that was serving Kung Fu Girl. It reminded me of work.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Girl Riesling - for the holidays!

Wine of the Week: Kung Fu Girl Columbia Valley Riesling

PEG MELNIK
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | November 20, 2017, 4:33PM
    | Updated 16 hours ago.

THIS WEEK’S BLIND TASTING
    Thanksgiving Whites

TOP PICK
    Kung Fu Girl
    Kung Fu Girl, 2016 Columbia Valley Riesling, 12% alcohol, $12. ★★★★
    This riesling is a global citizen of sorts. It marries well with food across the board because it has impeccable balance; the riesling has great minerality and crisp acidity coupled with notes of white peach, apricot and lime.

Peg Melnik’s Tasting Room blog
    International cuisine – from Asian to Middle Eastern to Mexican – requires a savvy wine that has pairing prowess, a world citizen of sorts.

Our wine-of-the-week winner – the Kung Fu Girl, 2016 Columbia Valley riesling – is definitely a wine without borders.

The riesling, priced at $12, marries well with food across the board because it has impeccable balance; it has great minerality and crisp acidity coupled with notes of white peach, apricot and lime.

This is a smart pick whether your feast focuses on foods from afar or celebrates traditional dishes.

“Lively acidity cuts through everything from roast turkey and acorn squash to creamy mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie, providing a refreshing finish and kick- ass complexity along the way,” explained the unabashed vintner Charles Smith.

The founder and winemaker of Wines of Substance in Washington State is something of a global citizen himself. Smith, 56, spent the ’90s traveling throughout Europe managing rock bands, including the famed Danish duo, The Raveonettes. Wining and dining while on the road became a catalyst, and in 1999 he moved back to the United States, opening a wine shop on Bainbridge Island, just across Puget Sound from downtown Seattle.

“On a road trip in late 1999, I passed through the small town of Walla Walla and met a young Frenchman and winemaker named Charles Bieler and we later collaborated on an award-winning line of wines, Charles & Charles,” Smith said. “I was eventually convinced to move to Walla Walla and make my own juice. What started as selling wine out of the back of my Astro van has grown to become the largest independent winery in Washington state.

Smith has had no formal training as a winemaker, but he said he has 35 years of work experience, and he continues to reel in accolades. Wine & Spirits was one of the first to recognize his efforts in 2008 naming his winery one of the best in 10 years.

The well-traveled vintner said he’s a great fit to produce riesling.

“I have a profound love of the grape and a personal history spending time in the regions where those wines are produced, such as Germany and Austria.

What’s more, Smith likes the surprise in riesling.

“People think that all riesling is sweet, but that is just not the case,” he said. “Riesling is also one of the noble varietals and one of the most diverse and compelling wines in the world.”

I still feel beholden to Kung Fu Girl Riesling for supporting our Drunken Style Championship 2 years ago. That was a fun one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This still pops on my 'Kung Fu' newsfeed

Great Wine Values: Kung Fu Girl riesling
    Updated: JANUARY 16, 2018 — 3:01 AM EST

by Marnie Old, FOR THE INQUIRER

[IMG]http://media.philly.com/images/300*450/dixon-331360-e-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-KFG-Riesling-750ml-Bottle-Shot.jpeg[/IMG]
    Kung Fu Girl riesling.

Many American wine drinkers prefer their wines to be as strong as possible — big, red, and robust, with at least 14 percent alcohol. But there are many circumstances where a wine’s sheer power can be more of a weakness than a strength. The most obvious of these is when wine is being served alongside spicy foods, which can bring even the mightiest of big reds to their knees, leaving them tasting unpleasantly harsh, bitter, and boozy. Faced with the same challenge, lighter white wines that fall below 13 percent alcohol, such as Rieslings, rise to the occasion, particularly if they also contain a hint of natural grape sweetness. Like figure skaters skating circles around muscle-bound hockey players, their very lightness plays a key role in their dexterity and grace. This makes more sense once we know that alcohol itself is the main culprit when wine clashes with spicy food, and that the hotter the dish, the more sweetness can provide the palate with soothing relief. This happens because spicy heat is not a flavor, per se, but more a physical sensation of burning in the mouth. Because alcohol irritates and prolongs the burn, it is the lower-alcohol wines (and beers) that best tame the flames. This delightful Washington Riesling is a perfect choice for foods with a spicy kick. It features bright flavors of green apples, rhubarb, and jasmine blossoms, with a pleasing touch of sweetness.

Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Washington, $11.99 (Regularly $13.99; sale price through Jan. 28.) PLCB item #7465
    Still not a riesling drinker but Kung Fu Girl Riesling for supported our Drunken Style Championship and that's still my fav of all our Showcase Championships. Although this year might best that, if it comes together.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips