Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Fist

confirmed

Marvel confirms Finn Jones as Iron Fist: 'The perfect choice'
    Marvel TV chief: 'Finn wonderfully blends confidence with vulnerability...'
    BY JAMES HIBBERD • @JAMESHIBBERD

(Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images)
    Posted March 17 2016 — 10:30 AM EDT

It’s finally official: Marvel is publicly confirming for the first time that Finn Jones will star in Iron Fist.

The Game of Thrones actor will take on the role of Daniel Rand, a New Yorker who learns an ancient form of mystical martial arts. EW first revealed the casting earlier this month.

“Danny Rand is a very complicated character,” said executive producer and showrunner Scott Buck. “He’s a billionaire New York Buddhist monk martial arts superhero who’s still trying to figure out what exactly that all means. Finn is able to play all these levels in such an honest, revelatory way that as soon as I saw him I knew he was our Danny.”

Added Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb: “Finn wonderfully blends confidence with vulnerability, making him the perfect choice as he struggles to find his place in the world. Now that we’ve found our Danny Rand, we’ve completed our principal cast for the upcoming Defenders on Netflix and we are thrilled to continue to show audiences unexplored corners of the Marvel Universe.”

In addition, Marvel said the series will open with Rand returning to New York City after being missing for years: “He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.”

Last weekend, Marvel TV head Joe Quesada teased that the magical devices in Iron Fist will allow for a different take on Hell’s Kitchen than the company’s other Netflix titles – like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. “The Danny Rand character himself will have a different perspective on the world than some of the characters that you’re seeing now – as will Luke Cage. I mean you guys haven’t seen that show yet, either,” he said. “Our goal is to provide four different shows that each have their own feel while, again, feeling like they are a part of a whole. It’s still the early stages of Iron Fist, so I’m a little hesitant to say too much more than that. But Danny Rand is a completely different character, and the world that he comes from, how he obtained his powers and his skills — all completely different. I think fans will be pleased.”

Jones will next be seen on season 6 of Game of Thrones, which debuts April 24.

Marvel also released this teaser image:
    ...billionaire Buddhist monk...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I didn't think Rand was a buddhist...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

As I recall, Rand was so good at kung fu he beat a dragon to death, and in turn stole it's power. He's also, like, so rich.

I'm hoping he's a little bit happier than prison-experiment Power Man or Jessica Jones or Daredevil.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    As I recall, Rand was so good at kung fu he beat a dragon to death, and in turn stole it's power. He's also, like, so rich.

I'm hoping he's a little bit happier than prison-experiment Power Man or Jessica Jones or Daredevil.
    Uh, No.
    I think you need to do some research dude.

Greetings,

That teaser image is fantastic! I felt the jolt and gasp of Meachum (I thought his name was Harold) upon reading the note.It instantly triggered memories of reading that series.

The way the image was taken gives me the idea that Iron Fist may have been much better as a 2 hour cartoon.

mickey

Not to go too far off of Iron Fist, but I have all the old Luke Cage, Hero For Hire/Power Man comics. Back in the day (early to mid-'70s), it was one of my favorite series, especially the really early ones. IMO, Luke Cage later went downhill when he was teamed with Iron Fist (after their initial fight, which Cage won, BTW).

Greetings Jimbo,

Luke Cage Hero for Hire #13, in my opinion, should have been worth some serious dollars: at least six figures. It may have been the first, is if not one of the first times profanity was used. I checked an online pdf of that issue a few moments ago. There was an edit. In the pdf, Lion Fang dies after saying. "son of a....). In the comic, the full B word was used. If there was a quick edit made when it was issued, the issues that have the word should have more value. Even though SOB is a soft now days. Back then; it packed a punch.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-21-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Personally I always thought that Iron Fist was "wimpified" in the Hero's for Hire storylines.
    I think that the Immortal Iron Fist storyline touched upon the true capacity of the Iron Fist BUT even in that, Daniel never really grasped the sheer power of that he had.
    The power of the Undying Shou Lao is so immense that it can wipe out a city.
    A master of that power can knock down a building, make themselves impenetrable, launch their chi like a projectile weapon even.

Greetings sanjuro ronin,

When Iron Fist finished off the ninja and removed his mask, it was the end of the arc for me. There was absolutely no need to evolve story lines for him.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings Jimbo,

Luke Cage Hero for Hire #13, in my opinion, should have been worth some serious dollars: at least six figures. It may have been the first, is if not one of the first times profanity was used. I checked an online pdf of that issue a few moments ago. There was an edit. In the pdf, Lion Fang dies after saying. "son of a....). In the comic, the full B word was used. If there was a quick edit made when it was issued, the issues that have the word should have more value. Even though SOB is a soft now days. Back then; it packed a punch.

mickey
    Interesting, mickey. I don't remember if my copy had that or not, and all my comics are in storage, so it's not available at hand to check.

I do remember once buying a Captain America and it had 2 covers on it. Guess what I did? I cut off the extra, outer cover, cut the back off and used it as a poster! Only much later did I find out that double covers add worth. D'oh!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-21-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Colleen Wing

Check Out The Game Of Thrones Actress That Will Lead Marvel's Iron Fist
    BY NICK VENABLE 3 DAYS AGO discussion

While the feature side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is still lacking when it comes to female characters, the company’s efforts on the small screen are far more applause-worthy. The upcoming Netflix action-drama Iron Fist just cast its first female lead, as Game of Thrones actress Jessica Henwick has been added as the titular hero’s ally Colleen Wing.

Jessica Henwick is currently best known for playing Nymeria Sand on Game of Thrones, which already gives her a step up on roles where badassery is a prerequisite. As the comic character Colleen, Henwick will be an important and invaluable asset to Danny Rand has he returns to New York City on a mission to take down all things corrupt and evil. We can probably look forward to seeing some heavy duty fight sequences involving these characters, as Colleen is also a martial arts expert. Marvel reports she runs her own dojo, too, so she probably knows quite a few people who wouldn’t mind throwing down in a kung fu brawl.

Interestingly, Henwick isn’t the first Game of Thrones cast member to get added here, as Iron Fist himself, Finn Jones, is well-known for playing the Knight of Flowers Ser Loras Tyrell on the HBO epic. Does that mean we’ll soon see actor Peter Dinklage cast as the villainous Steel Serpent or Lena Headey as a gender-swapped Lei Kung? Probably not, but that would make for some fun conversations.

Colleen Wing, who first appeared in the comics in 1974, grew up in Japan and learned the skills of the samurai from her grandfather. She connected with Iron Fist after her father discovered that the hero would be coming to New York to get revenge for his father’s murder, and the two characters worked together in kicking criminals’ asses ever since. Colleen doesn’t have any superpowers, but her fighting talents are numerous, and she knows exactly what to do with her centuries-old katana.

Born in England, Jessica Henwick is possibly familiar to British audiences for her work on the fantasy series Spirit Warriors and the legal drama Silk. Joining Game of Thrones as one of the Sand Snakes was her first big break here in the States, although she was also a small part of Star Wars: The Force Awakens as an X-Wing pilot. She’ll be seen in Season 2 of Fortitude later this year.

Iron Fist still doesn’t have a release date, or even a release window yet. After all, we just got Daredevil Season 2 and the wait is currently on for the freshman season from Luke Cage. But expect more casting news to surface in the coming weeks.
    Wait...another Game of Throneser?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Maybe IronFist is going to be more ironFISTTING than we think !

It's gonna be Chi fisting, s_r...dang but your mind goes to some nasty places quickly

Of course, Chi is more of a Taoist thing than a Buddhist thing, but we won't quibble here. We'll leave that to the whiners that are bummed Finn isn't Asian.

Finn Jones Studying Martial Arts and Buddhism for Iron Fist Training
    Lucas Siegel- 04/08/2016

On Game of Thrones, Finn Jones had some fighting skills, but nothing quite like what he'll need to play mystical martial arts master Danny Rand in Marvel and Netflix's Iron Fist. The actor is naturally training for hours each day, then, in "kung fu and wushu mixed with a bit of tai chi," he told EW in this week's print issue. He's also doing extensive weight training "to bulk [him] up."

But there's another side to Iron Fist, as he channels his Chi for the source of his power. That means that alongside the physical training, he's undergoing mental, as well, studying Buddhist philosophy and meditation.

"I've always dreamed of a role that bridged spiritual discipline and badass superhero," he told the magazine. "There's a contradiction in those elements that's going to be very fun to play."

Iron Fist is in pre-production now for an expected (though not yet scheduled) 2017 release. It follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage as the fourth out of four planned series collaborations between Marvel TV and Netflix, leading to a mini-series bringing the heroes together as The Defenders.
    And Bollywood's Vidyut Jamwal has a comment on this trend that Finn should heed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Finn's Fu

"kung fu and wushu mixed with a bit of tai chi, and other stuff as well" Oooooh. insane.

Finn Jones talks playing Marvel's Iron Fist (his training is insane)
    BY JAMES HIBBERD • @JAMESHIBBERD

(Todd Williamson/Getty Images)
    Marvel's Iron Fist
    Posted April 12 2016 — 11:40 AM EDT

Marvel’s newest superhero is undergoing round-the-clock training for the role of billionaire warrior-monk Iron Fist, aka Daniel Rand. Exceptional instruction is arguably needed to portray Rand, whose origin story is all intense training rather than supersuits or scientific breakthroughs. As fans of the comic know, after his family meets a tragic fate while on expedition in China, a young Rand is adopted by the people of the mystical lost city of K’un-Lun, where he’s taught a magical fighting style. Years later, he returns to New York to fight crime. Below the Game of Thrones actor talks for the first time about starring in the upcoming Netflix series…

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What was your reaction to getting this part?

FINN JONES: I love the character. What really drew me was the character and the story. I really enjoy how he’s a superhero with a real heart but has spiritual elements as well. I think it’s going to be an exciting character to play because there’s this contraction of on one hand he’s from a very wealthy family, he’s a billionaire, on the other hand he’s been in this world of K’un-Lun for a long time where he’s learned kung fu and buddhist philosophy. There’s a contradiction in those elements that’s going to be really fun to play.

You’re in preproduction in New York. Have they let you try on a costume yet?

No. At the moment I’m in the physical preparation for the role. Every day for the last month, I start my day with about two and a half hours of martial arts – which is kung fu and wushu mixed with a bit of tai chi, and other stuff as well. In the afternoon I’ll do weight training with a trainer to bulk me up and get my physically right for the part. And in evenings I’ve been doing meditation classes and learning buddhist philosophies.

That sounds like so much fun.

It is! I’ve always dreamed of a role that bridged spiritual discipline and badass superhero. This is the kind of role I’ve been waiting for for a long time. Now that it’s happened, it’s like a dream come true. I’m super excited.

I remember when it was announced that Gwendoline Christie was cast in The Force Awakens. She said the first call she got was from you and you were just screaming and happy for her. So it’s great to see somebody who’s been so supportive of others get such a cool role.

Actually, Gwen reacted exactly the same when I got this. She called and was like, “Lots of emojis! Lots of really positive vibe emojis!”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How will our minds cope with the deluge of martial mania?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.