Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr - Chi Sao Clip

Alan Orr - Chi Sao Clip

Hi Guys

A clip demo of Chi Sao from my new series

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7S1WFuZieo

This is Chu Sai Lei Wing Chun and the way we train our Chi Sao.

I'm not going full speed or full power as this is training Chi Sao.

If you have a eye for chinese martial skills you will see the control of stance and position.

My best

Alan

Its doesn't come up when I click on the link. All I get is a generic youtube page.

apologies...operator error...ie me

here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AKkp19KV9xg

best
    Last edited by aaron baum; 12-06-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: error

As an outsider looking in, it seems that they "lean" into their chi sao more and mix it up with strikes alot more than what is typically seen.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by aaron baum View Post
    apologies...operator error...ie me

here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AKkp19KV9xg

best
    --Thanks! That worked! Good video! I have Alan's new series of vids on my Christmas wish list.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    As an outsider looking in, it seems that they "lean" into their chi sao more and mix it up with strikes alot more than what is typically seen.
    Yes, it is common for people to think we are just leaning in. We are not. In fact we press our hips and use the whole body to root and control power. This is called linking skills, then we have delinking skills. The delinking is to stop the opponent taking your balance. Wing Chun as a lot of stikes. Only some styles seem to limit their methods. In the Chu Sau Lei system we do not limit our striking as long as we have the core principles in place.

My best

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Yes, it is common for people to think we are just leaning in. We are not. In fact we press our hips and use the whole body to root and control power. This is called linking skills, then we have delinking skills. The delinking is to stop the opponent taking your balance. Wing Chun as a lot of stikes. Only some styles seem to limit their methods. In the Chu Sau Lei system we do not limit our striking as long as we have the core principles in place.

My best

Alan
    Yes, I see that, I have your dvd series, the NHB one, do like it very much by the way.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yes, I see that, I have your dvd series, the NHB one, do like it very much by the way.
    Cool, thank you.

My best

Alan

(facing left <- )

\ = lean

( = mistaken for lean

Right on

Alan.
    I find your mini clips refreshing and specific and this one exemplifies that ethos.
    However, I am aware that you are a great believer in 'alive' training, the chi sau demos on you tube with Neil as your partner all give you a platform to demonstrate multiple intent striking, but Neil only ever rolls. In this clip he only makes one actual attempt to offer you anything significant. Please dont see this as a blight on your work, it just for me adds to the collection of one sided teacher/pupil clips on the net.

Good luck with the up and coming MMA comps.
    Steve G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseman View Post
    Alan.
    I find your mini clips refreshing and specific and this one exemplifies that ethos.
    However, I am aware that you are a great believer in 'alive' training, the chi sau demos on you tube with Neil as your partner all give you a platform to demonstrate multiple intent striking, but Neil only ever rolls. In this clip he only makes one actual attempt to offer you anything significant. Please dont see this as a blight on your work, it just for me adds to the collection of one sided teacher/pupil clips on the net.

Good luck with the up and coming MMA comps.
    Steve G.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your feedback. It make look like Neil is not trying to hit me back and just rolling, but in fact he was trying to hit me as much as he could!! The thing is when you have structure control you are always pressing and controling your opponenets balance and position. I know its hard to see, but I am putting Neil under much more pressure that you can see.Therefore he never has the correct balance to strike and when he trys to strike I am therefore already ahead of him. We don't play a trade game in Chi Sao within our system. Neil would like nothing better that to hit me! I think thats why he gives his opponents such a hard time in his Pro MMA fights LOL! Someone has to pay.

Try to get down to see us some time. It is a different feel.

My best

Alan

Alan,

I always try to give props were someone has impressed me. I enjoyed the clip. Good use of forward pressure. At one stage I think your partner was lifted and pushed because of your position.

One thing I really enjoyed was the fact that Chi Sau was being used as a forum to work clinch moves and dirty boxing. Wing Chun people should take note!

"From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Hi Guys

A clip demo of Chi Sao from my new series

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7S1WFuZieo

This is Chu Sai Lei Wing Chun and the way we train our Chi Sao.

I'm not going full speed or full power as this is training Chi Sao.

If you have a eye for chinese martial skills you will see the control of stance and position.

My best

Alan

Interesting...

I enjoyed the clip Alan.

Personally i found your example on Pak Da or blocking and striking to be an excellent example for others...

Ive often posted about my POV of people overcomplicating VT ....and to my younger training partners

This is but one negitive bi product of the over emphasis on Chi Sao IME.

People tend to apply several actions in a situation that need only warrent one in a real situation. It also crosses over to demos where one punch meets three chunner actions casting a shadow over the style cause of its lack of realism/ aliveness....

And then born from that, making your opponent play your game...working setups into specific actions.......launching a punch = meeting resistance/bridge = pak Da.....

Functional...

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98