Thread: Question for the Lama/Hop Gar/TWC Guys

Question for the Lama/Hop Gar/TWC Guys

Hello all!

I just started learning a new form from a new style to me. My question is what is the name of the form? Here is the info I have:

1) The form was taught by Master Wai Lun Choi (in Chicago).

2) It is only called the "long Lama form" by the student that learned from Master Choi, possibly due to a language barrier...

3) It is taught in 4 sections, but I have only learned half of section 1 thus far.

Here is a partial technique list:
    1)Starts in Buddha hand praying position - drops back into an "on-guard" position with fists in front of body.
    2)Run forword several steps then dodge to the right while down blocking with the left arm and low side kick to the attacker's knee.
    3)Then there are some double up blocks whith front kicks and double down blocks with front kicks and a crap-load of the long arm straight punches @ 90 degrees to body (are those Chun Choi's??).

I know that is not much info to work on but any help is much appreciated. I am hoping for the fine Lama/Hop Gar folks on this forum to work a miracle...

Thanks!!!

-Blake
    "Gungfu is not just about fighting."

"Repitition is the mother of skill."

film it and post it?

different lines have different forms. i have no clue what form you just described.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Does it look something like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8VSdxLDd4

???
    Hmm... many of the techniques seem to be the same however the arrangment and pattern is quite different. Thanks tho... Great footage of the demo tape...Please keep it coming!

I do plan to film it after I learn it all, I was just eager to see if anyone could help me now. And I will post it, if you all can forgive the ugly performance until I have had a few years to refine it...

Thanks again!

-Blake

Is that Wai Lun Choi the Luhk Hahp Baat Faat teacher who also trained in Hop Ga/Lama? If so, I think he's from Choy Yit Gung's lineage. You may not find anyone outside of Hong Kong who does the same forms. A story told about Choy Yit Gung is that he learned from Wong Yan Lum when Wong was old and blind. Therefore, he didn't learn any sets from Wong but the old man corrected his basics by touch. Choy may have learned the Hop Ga curriculum from other students of Wong, but he distinguished his tradition by making his own sets and using the old name of Lama.

White Crane's Tit Lin Kyuhn (iron chain set) is also quite long and is often taught in four sections, but the opening moves you described don't resemble any version I've seen.

No matter. It's from a legitimate tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post

A story told about Choy Yit Gung is that he learned from Wong Yan Lum when Wong was old and blind. Therefore, he didn't learn any sets from Wong but the old man corrected his basics by touch. Choy may have learned the Hop Ga curriculum from other students of Wong, but he distinguished his tradition by making his own sets and using the old name of Lama.
    Choy Yit Gung had studied Lama/Hop Ga with disciples of Wong Yan Lam before he got a chance to study with Wong himself. That isn't a rumor, it's an established fact, one even Lo Wai Keung admits to. How much, or what, Choy learned from Wong is indeed a subject of debate, especially when Lo Wai Keung claims he was the ONLY ONE to learn the "8 inside gates"

But, by the way, a lot of lineages that go back to Wong Yan Lam use the Lama name, not just Choy's
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    But, by the way, a lot of lineages that go back to Wong Yan Lam use the Lama name, not just Choy's
    Quite right. Even ours through Au Wing Nin. Au had already learned Lama before becoming a student of Ng Siu Jung. Not everyone went along with the politically correct condemnation of Tibetan culture that required the name changes. Didn't mean to give the impression that Choy invented Lama Pai.

And I wouldn't take any of Lo Wai Keung's claims too seriously.

in the 1990's I traveled along talking to as many Hop Ga, White Crane and Lama Pai people as I could get access to, with CTS's "seal" I got to know and train and interview a lot and that is why I got so much info about the tradition out into the open (also translated a lot of Chinese stuff that most lo faan never knew existed)

Lo Wai Keung says everyone learned the "external 8 gates" and only Choy Yi Gung learned the "internal 8 gates"

I found it sort of "strange" that no document ever mentioned these 8 and 8 gates and no teacher outside of Lo Wai Keung's lineage knew anything about them....

Could just be me, I mean, I found it strange
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Lo Wai Keung says everyone learned the "external 8 gates" and only Choy Yi Gung learned the "internal 8 gates"

I found it sort of "strange" that no document ever mentioned these 8 and 8 gates and no teacher outside of Lo Wai Keung's lineage knew anything about them....

Could just be me, I mean, I found it strange
    Strange, indeed.

Did you use the handshake?

I mean you've got to use the Secret Lama handshake and the masters will have to give you a Xeroxed copy of Hodato's Scroll of the Internal Eight Gates in his own hand (signed original only $5,000 extra).

Ha

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Strange, indeed.

Did you use the handshake?

I mean you've got to use the Secret Lama handshake and the masters will have to give you a Xeroxed copy of Hodato's Scroll of the Internal Eight Gates in his own hand (signed original only $5,000 extra).
    Nice! Surely you gave the password also right? : "Wun Hun Lo"

Ona serious note, though.... I am hopelessly ignorant of many of these names and terms, but could someone explain what the "external 8 gates" are? It sounds like maybe the 8 forms that are crucial to Lama Pai (like Hung Gar's "4 pillars") or maybe the octave theories??

Anyway, all info is appreciated! Thanks tenfold!!!

-Blake