Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill or Strength ??

Skill or Strength ??

If you had to make a choice between training your skill and training strength, which would it be and why? Lets say because of your job, wife and kids or time constraints that you only have enough time in your schedule to train only 1 thing.

Skill:
    Fighting drills, timing and distancing drills, sparring techniques, 2 person fighting forms, hands on grappling, throwing etc etc.

Strength:
    Push Ups, Dynamic Tension sets, Weight Lifting, Strength Forms, Resistance Training etc etc.

I know they all are important, but if you had to chose. Which is more important and why?

Ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    If you had to make a choice between training your skill and training strength, which would it be and why? Lets say because of your job, wife and kids or time constraints that you only have enough time in your schedule to train only 1 thing.

Skill:
    Fighting drills, timing and distancing drills, sparring techniques, 2 person fighting forms, hands on grappling, throwing etc etc.

Strength:
    Push Ups, Dynamic Tension sets, Weight Lifting, Strength Forms, Resistance Training etc etc.

I know they all are important, but if you had to chose. Which is more important and why?

Ginosifu
    You mean one at a time right? you can only train one thing per session?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Skill or Strength

Yes, only 1 thing at a atime.

To be more specific, for the next 6 months your time is limited to 1 hour of daily practice. Would it be strength or Skill that you would practice??

Ginosifu

Yes, only 1 thing at a atime.

To be more specific, for the next 6 months your time is limited to 1 hour of daily practice. Would it be strength or Skill that you would practice??

Ginosifu
    I would alternate, just like I do now

I only have 90 mins, and I have never been a fan of doing both strength training and such AND skill based work together, though you can mix some of the same attributes into a Heavy Bag workout for example, I stil prefer to split up my "aerobic and anerobic" conditioning.

one hour a day every day, I'd split the week. I'd do sport specific strength 3 days a week, then technique 2 days, with the other days for rest/light/active recovery. you probably shouldn't strength train (if you really mean strength training) more than 4 days a week anyways!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    one hour a day every day, I'd split the week. I'd do sport specific strength 3 days a week, then technique 2 days, with the other days for rest/light/active recovery. you probably shouldn't strength train (if you really mean strength training) more than 4 days a week anyways!
    And alternate the next week - technique 3 days , ST 2.

As for how many days one should ST, now there is a can of worms !!
    LOL !!

I would work skill.

Why? Because with skill I can neutralize the threat and escape.

With just strength, all I can do is go force on force.

Besides, skill work will build strength as well, especially grappling styles.

Ideally we should train the major elements of Skills, Strength, Speed, Endurance flexibility and the heart needed to do the job. But if I could only do one, it would be skill.

Skill or Strength

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Strength Training:

I meant Martial Arts strength programs. Power Lifting or any weight lifting that requires downtime or resting intervals is not the type of strength training I was talking about.

Ginosifu

train skill and drink this http://youtube.com/watch?v=dXdXSAqWdfI
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I would work skill.

Ideally we should train the major elements of Skills, Strength, Speed, Endurance flexibility and the heart needed to do the job. But if I could only do one, it would be skill.
    BUT on the other hand

if u bulk up

and become a scary motherfuker

its less likely u'l get into fights at all because people would be scared to start them with you

and with strength u could simply rush people and throw them
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Strength Training:

I meant Martial Arts strength programs. Power Lifting or any weight lifting that requires downtime or resting intervals is not the type of strength training I was talking about.

Ginosifu

functional strength is functional strength, whether your moving weights, boulders, linebackers, people, or whatever. If you're talking about push ups and stuff, that's muscular endurance, and you could do it for a warm up or a cool down!

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I would work skill.

not necessarily. it would depend on how much more skilled you are than the other guy. this post assumes that you severely outclass him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Strength or Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Meneely View Post
    functional strength is functional strength, whether your moving weights, boulders, linebackers, people, or whatever. If you're talking about push ups and stuff, that's muscular endurance, and you could do it for a warm up or a cool down!
    I have a different opinon about strength.

Strength training such as power lifting and heavy body building increase strength! However they also build in such a way that they do not move well for martia arts moves. Over the last 20 years many students came to my school after lifting weights for many years. Their arms and shoulders were so thick and muscular that they could not move functionally the way the style / form asked them to move.

There is a old kung fu statement about arms / fists:

Arms should be like ropes, Fists should be like rocks at the end of the rope. Arms swing from the shoulders like they are literally ropes with rocks attached at the ends.

Yes you are correct, strength is strength, however, the results of your strength training will affect your martial arts movements.

Ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    BUT on the other hand

if u bulk up

and become a scary motherfuker

its less likely u'l get into fights at all because people would be scared to start them with you

and with strength u could simply rush people and throw them

that is a good point. Intimidation is a powerful thing.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

That is just becasue they did body building, not strength training. Old school strongman training gives you real functional strength like what a martial artists needs. Why do you think so many modern gyms have gone back to that stuff in the last 5-7 years or so?