Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nia

Nia

throw in some tai chi and yoga...

Dance + martial arts + yoga = Nia
    Reporter: Elizabeth Dannheim
    Last Update: 11/21 6:15 pm

Are you tired of going to the gym and you’re looking for a new workout?

How about one that combines dance, martial arts, and yoga?

It’s called Nia and it really gets your body moving. JoyMoves in West Lake Hills offers Nia classes and Austin women are flocking there to take part.

Shoshana Goldstein is one of the instructors and owners of JoyMoves.

“We say that Nia is like chocolate. You have to taste it,” Goldstein says.

Meaning you have to experience Nia to really understand it.

Created more than 25 years ago, Nia is a whole-body movement class done barefoot to music. It’s a blend of different dance arts like jazz and modern dance, mix in some martial arts, and throw in some tai chi and yoga and you’ve got Nia.

Goldstein says, "We repeat the movements over and over so it’s easy.”

Joanne Adams has been taking Nia classes for six years now. “I just enjoy movement. I enjoy the great music. The comradery. This is a real community here,” she says.

A community of women who love to have fun while they’re working out and these women are really working out.

Dr. Deborah Kern is a Nia instructor and she’s studied the aerobic effect of Nia.

Dr. Kern says, “An average size woman burns about the same amount of calories as running three miles in a Nia class.”

It’s not just good for your body, says these women but it’s good for your emotional health too.

“It helps you get in touch with your feelings,” Adams says.

If you want to try Nia, you can buy a one-time pass at JoyMoves for $12 or you can purchase a one-month, unlimited pass for $50 a month.
    Here's the official website. I'd heard of Nia before - it's been going for some time. There wasn't a thread on it here anywhere and I figured it would antagonize the tai chi people the most.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yay, do *******ized Taiji to Britney Spears music.

Great place to meet some beautiful women though, I guarantee it.
    I have a signature.

They should do capoeira instead! XD
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    throw in some tai chi and yoga...

Here's the official website. I'd heard of Nia before - it's been going for some time. There wasn't a thread on it here anywhere and I figured it would antagonize the tai chi people the most.
    why gene, why do you do this man.

Pfft, Nia cannot possibly complete with these systems.

http://cosmicfighting.atspace.com/
    http://streetcombat.8m.com/

why do I do this

That's a fair question, Doug. Mostly because it's newsworthy, newsworthy enough that some other news source felt the need to run a story on it. One of the things I really like about the web is that you can hyperlink to these stories and as long as the the source is credited, it's fair game for the most part. It adds content. But on another level, I find the popular manifestations of martial arts to be very interesting and relevant. We in the martial world, the wulin (and I use the term very loosely with our forum crowd ), suffer from tremendous shortsightedness - martial myopia I like to call it. We imagine ourselves to be Bruce Lee but the world sees us more like Rex Kwon Do. So I find these popular fitness martial derivatives very interesting. Most are in the same vein as Taebo. Nia is a little different with its yoga/tai chi angle.

Speaking of Rex Kwon Do, have you seen Bally Fitness Kwando?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    Martial myopia is a great term. It is probably the main reason Tai Chi can never match the popularity of yoga in America.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

That's a fair question, Doug. Mostly because it's newsworthy, newsworthy enough that some other news source felt the need to run a story on it. One of the things I really like about the web is that you can hyperlink to these stories and as long as the the source is credited, it's fair game for the most part. It adds content. But on another level, I find the popular manifestations of martial arts to be very interesting and relevant. We in the martial world, the wulin (and I use the term very loosely with our forum crowd ), suffer from tremendous shortsightedness - martial myopia I like to call it. We imagine ourselves to be Bruce Lee but the world sees us more like Rex Kwon Do. So I find these popular fitness martial derivatives very interesting. Most are in the same vein as Taebo. Nia is a little different with its yoga/tai chi angle.

i understand i guess, i'm just sick of these fake phony M.A. cardio craze's. i mean after tae bo every training tries toi come out with there own stuff many of them have little or no martial arts experience at least billy blanks is a master martial artist(i'll forgive him and your parent company for tc 2000) and he designed the system from his own experience but most of this stuff is rediculous.

I'm the "loosely" you speak of since I quit Kung Fu (work kind of got in the way ).
    I have a signature.

cjurakpt Guest
    [QUOTE=The Xia;820984]
    http://cosmicfighting.atspace.com/ /QUOTE]

my favorite quote from their website:
    "I or any of my advanced students can enter any professional martial art tournament, mixed martial arts cage match, wrestling matches, ect., and can easily win." (italics mine)

any takers?...

more nia

I've never actually seen nia promoted beyond these web articles. Is it big near any of you?

Nia blends dance, healing techniques and martial arts
    Use bones, muscles
    By Chuck Kirman
    ckirman@VenturaCountyStar.com
    Monday, February 11, 2008

Eighty-five-year-old Dee Volz of Ventura rocks and rolls to the music with her back flat on the floor and her legs raised toward the ceiling. She wiggles feet, arms and hips. She stretches and smiles with the enthusiasm of a child.

Kate Nash, a certified black belt instructor and owner of the Ventura Nia Center, commands the attention of everyone in the class. She holds up five fingers and talks about the five sensations of fitness: flexibility, agility, mobility, strength and stability.

Nia got its start in 1983 when Carlos and Debbie Rosas, then certified fitness instructors in Marin County, were questioning traditional ways to exercise. They created Nia, which blends movement forms from the martial arts, dance arts and healing arts.

The Web site http://www.nianow.com defines Nia as a "body-mind-spirit fitness and lifestyle practice." The organization has headquarters in Portland, Ore.

"We move the body's way, which is 200-700. That's 200 bones and just about 700 muscles. We use all of them. Lots of extension and contraction of energy. This stuff is really magic," Nash said.

"It's exercise that's really fun, rather than drudgery," said Camarillo resident Susan Richter, who has four years of Nia experience.

Gary Tollison, 60, of Ventura was soaked with sweat after the one-hour nonstop class.

"It's real maintenance. That's the thing for me," said Tollison, who has been taking Nash's class for four years. "You can go at any level. The next thing you know, you're sweating real good."

Nash, who worked in the entertainment business for 20 years, mostly in live theater, has always been interested in self-awareness, expression and healing. In 2001, she became a Nia instructor and opened the Ventura Nia Center in 2004.

Rone Prinz of Woodland Hills has high praise for both Nash and the practice of Nia. "I adore it. It's like I found an awakening," she said. "It's like falling in love."

On this day, Prinz brought her friend Cindy McGee of West Hills for a first visit.

McGee said, "It's freeing. My body is being released from injuries." She asked Prinz when they were coming back. "Monday," Prinz said.

"I love what I do because I feel this is one way that people can achieve more than what they want for themselves," Nash said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nia

why would tai chi want to compete with yoga.yoga is good as far as it goes but it is just yoga.
    the reason gyms keep trying to accuire new things is because they dont really work long term.
    to make a buck they must keep offering the latest gadget due to the lack of spiritual depth and long term benifit.
    it is news and martial arts need to know what is going on.

cjurakpt Guest
    BTW, in case anyone thinks that Nia is something revolutionary, newsflash, there's this little thing called Feldenkreis Method that has been around for well over 50 years, which is essentially a combination of various movement disciplines (including judo: the founder studied directly with Kano ), and has been utilized extensively by, among others, the PT profession to generally positive effect; the "problem" is that in order to become a certified Feldenkreis Practitioner, one has to undergo 3 to 4 years of very intensive training, and there is a very high level of internal oversight, including membership in a guild that has a very comprehensive set of professional ethics not typically seen outside of state licensed professions; furthermore, the approach is pretty sophisticated from a practitioners perspective, so not just everyone it cut out for it because of this internal rigor, which is why you don't see an over abundance of "Feldies" around: bottom line, the method is well-respected in the field for a very high level of quality control (like Rolfers and Alexander Technique Teachers), and it's a great approach to use with a wide variety of patient populations

They steppin to Tai BO?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

my wife does nia once a week. she seems to like it, but i am not too sure how much matial arts of any sort there is to it, more like yogaerobics, with plenty of music. one of her favorite classes is the annual Moullon Rouge night.

seems great for ladies, or a great way to meet ladies. it is certainly a great exercise class, if a touch over-sold imho...but what practitioner does not oversell their own system?

my first Chen tai chi class was held in the room above the local Nia studio. they used to get mad at us for buddha-stomping....
    Only love can break your heart, but one good hidden fist can cave your chest in.