Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Zhuang

icyninjabear Guest

Zhang Zhuang

Can any one give me the names of all the Zhang Zhaung postures apart from the typical 'first position', 'second position' etc. etc.
    I have been informed by a friend who practices bagua that the second of these standing post exercises is called 'lion holds ball' is he right in thinking this and if so what are the rest of the positions called.

Cheers for your help,

'ninjabear

NJ Guest
    Any 'striking posture' (ideal structural alignment reached at the time of schock delivery/contact) can be used as a "Zhuang Gong" posture. BaguaZhang usually contains 8 animal or palm 'flavors'. Within each animal or palm, there are several (again, usually broken down in eights) subsequent striking postures.

The characteristic posture of the 'Lion' is called "the lion holds the ball" or "the lion opens it's mouth".

If you have any further questions regarding this, feel free to e-mail me at lepp@asia.com

Cheers,

djl

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

the standing post postures are very simple and easy to learn and will benefit you greatly from the use of them.

There is simply standing with the feet at shoulder width and hands resting lightly at the sides with enough room under the armpit to hold a "quail egg"

A very slight bend in the knees.

The back is straight and the chin is slightly tucked. Imagine a string at the very top of your head holding your body up. The bone structure of the body supporting itself, breathing relaxed and chest very slightly concaved.

Other postures include extended arms with hands apart, palms facing you and arms held at shoulder height. This is likely what you are referring to as Lion holds the ball.

It has other names to associated with embracing balls and tree trunks.

These are the two main postures of Jam Jong (Zhang Zhuang) but essentially the aim is to still the mind and body while maintaining an upright position.

peace

Kung Lek

eightgates Guest
    Hi Icy Bear,

Which Zhan Zhuang forms are you referring to? Every system has their own type of Zhan Zhuang and as Kung Lek mentioned, sometimes employ different names than other styles for the same posture. Perhaps you are referring to the postures in "The Way of Energy" by Lam Kam Chuen? If so, the postures are from Yiquan and the names are as follows:

Posture 1 - Wuji Zhuang ("Limitless" Post)
    Posture 2 - Cheng Bao Zhuang (Prop Up-Uproot Post)
    Posture 3 - Ti Bao Zhuang (Raise and Embrace Post)
    Posture 4 - Fan Shui Zhuang (Separating Water Post)
    Posture 5 - Tui Tuo Zhuang (Pushing Supporting Post)
    Posture 6 - Zuo You Shen Yao Zhuang (Left Right Extend Waist)
    Posture 7 - Ding Ba Zhuang (Chinese characters for the shape of the letter "T" and number "8" [referring to the position of the feet] Post)
    Posture 8 - Tui An Zhuang (Pushing Pressing Post)
    Posture 9 - Du Li Zhuang (Single Leg Post)

Best wishes, :)
    Eightgate

Buddy Guest

Standing

Hi all,
    There are actually over 200 such standing postures in the Taoist neigung method, each designed to open up particular areas of the body.
    Buddy

icyninjabear Guest

Zhan Zhuang

Thanks everyone for your helpfull comments. As eightgate has pointed out I forgot to say which system of zhang zhaung I was referring to! It is the one practiced and taught by Master Lam Kam Chuen that forms the basics of Yi Quan.

- eightgate: you seem to be a font of all knowlegde on this particular subject, thanks so much for the all the different names. Where did you get these from/who teaches you? Is there a book on Yi Quan that you'd recommend me have a look at so I can get more info on the postures especially relating to their history, what they do and especially what I should be doing/thinking while standing.

I know I should really be learning this first hand from a zhan zhaung master, I try and see Master Lam whenever I can, but I could do with some stuff to read and digest between the rare occasions when I do have contact with him.

Yours hopefully,

Icy bear

eightgates Guest
    Hi Icy Bear,

I'm actually more like a dribble than any fount of knowledge! It's just that I've picked up a few bits of knowledge over the years. Aside from that, I am glad to hear that you have the opportunity to study with Master Lam. He has done much to help popularize Yiquan (a.k.a. Dachengquan) in the West. You should definitely take advantage of every chance you get to learn from him. My first Yiquan teacher is also a student of Master Yu Yongnian, that's why I have the names. As you probably have discovered, there isn't much written in English about Yiquan yet. Two very informative sites (I'm sure you already have Master Lam's) you will want to visit are (in no particular order):

1) http://members.surfeu.fi/yiquan/e-index.htm
    2) http://www.yiquan.com.pl/starteng.html

In the first website, Timo Heikkilä and Li Jiong have translated several excellent articles by the founder, Wang Xiangzhai, and also a book and article by Han Jingyu, son of Han Xingqiao (known as one of Wang's "Four Diamond Warriors" in Shanghai). Some of these are free and others are for sale. To me, they are definitely worth the price considering the time and difficulty they had to translate the pieces. You will also find a Yiquan forum where you can ask all the questions you like.

In the second website, Andrzej Kalisz has produced the most comprehensive website on Yiquan in English that I know of. In it he goes into detail about many aspects of history, theory, training, etc. I think you may find some helpful training tips there at least for this stage of your training. Also available at the site is the first English Yiquan correspondence course that Andrzej is helping his teacher Yao Chengguang to translate from Chinese. Yao Chengguang's father was Yao Zongxun, another of Wang Xiangzhai's best disciples and who was chosen as his main successor prior to his passing.

If you want to talk further, feel free to write me at eightgates@yahoo.com.

Best wishes! :)
    Eightgates

[This message was edited by eightgates on 05-11-01 at 04:42 AM.]

origenx Guest
    eightgates (or WIMC): What would be good postures (w/descriptions please) for opening up/strengthening the liver and kidney meridians? I've got blockages in my abdominal/2nd chakra area that are weakening these functions I believe - causing nearsightedness, poor digestion, poor detoxification, etc.

woliveri Guest

origenx

origenx, I've found the Dragon Spirit or the Tiger Qi Gong from Master Yuan Ming Zhang at:
    http://www.qigongmaster.com
    to be very useful for a congested liver.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

eightgates Guest
    Hi Origenx,

I don't know your background in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) so please excuse me if I say anything you already know, but it does appear that you have at least been exposed to it. I think that we must keep in mind that one of the things about TCM is that it treats the various body systems in a holistic fashion. That implies that although you may be experiencing a liver/kidney inbalance (not that uncommon), there may be other causes dealing with other meridians. For instance you might need to regulate the spleen and/or lung meridian which in turn would affect the kidney meridian which then affects the liver meridian. You may have insufficient "Wei Qi" or "Protective Qi" (this is created from food and beverages and can be enhanced by the abundance of lung-qi) that allowed external pathogenic forces to weaken you internally. Another source of the problem maybe one or more of the seven emotions (excessive joy injures the heart, excessive anger injures the liver, excessive anxiety injures the lungs, obsessive concern injures the spleen, excessive fear injures the kidneys, excessive fright and excessive grief which can affect more than one process). So while you may have made a correct diagnosis for the resulting syptoms, the underlying causes might not be addressed. For this type of diagnosis, I suggest you see a TCM practitioner. They could recommend a proper course of treatment and also help you design any changes in lifestyle to prevent a future relapse.

If a TCM practitioner is unavailable in your area, then I understand your situation. I am flattered by your faith in what I might suggest, but there are too many details to list and I don't feel qualified to comment in depth. I strongly suggest you pick up Master Lam Kam Chuen's book, "The Way of Energy." You should be able to find it at a local bookstore or you can order it from Amazon.com. The exercises you desire can be found there. Start with Postures 1 and 2 to start laying the foundation by removing some of the major obstructions and regulating the flow of qi and blood in your body. Since this covers the entire body, all your meridians and collateral channels will benefit where needed without your conscious attention to any particular one. After a period of time (Master Lam suggests several months) you may find that your problem has been resolved or ameliorated and all you need to do is maintain your zhan zhuang schedule. If you feel you need more of a "boost," you can continue on with the "Eight Brocades of Silk" exercises primarily exercises 1, 3, and 4. I don't need to tell you if you've practised qigong before that a calm peaceful unhurried attitude is needed for better results. Outside of this daily regimen, I would strongly suggest you take a good look at your dietary, sleep, sexual, emotional outlook, and other habits for the root cause of the problem. If the problem was due to improper qigong training, Posture 1 and 2 are excellent for restabilizing the flow of qi.

Another book that you may find helpful is "Qigong Empowerment" by Liang Shou-Yu and Wu Wen-Ching. There are several sections devoted to qigong exercises for the Kidneys and Liver along with contraindications. Prior to doing any of the organ specific exercises, I would recommend the Guan Qi Fa (Qi Permeating Method) he describes on pages 36-40. I learned this many years ago from my late Taijiquan master and it is a wonderful method to add to your qigong practises.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question with as much detail as you may have wanted, but I think these masters have expressed their methods much better than I ever could.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
    Eightgates

origenx Guest
    woliveri - hmm, but the website doesn't actually talk about how to do the Dragon Spirit or Tiger Qigong. Does he have a book out or anything?

8gates - thanks for the great informative reply. Yes, I know a little about TCM, but not much yet. So, yes, I realize how all the body's "organs" are inter-related and not isolated. So, it's hard to just spot-treat, you almost have to just clear the entire system. Nonethelss, I think I do have blockages in my abdominal region and would thus like to focus on it at least. And btw, I am perfectly healthy by Western definitions, just not by TCM or my own personal standards! Anyways, thanks alot for those resources you mentioned and I will be sure to check them out! Thanks!

woliveri Guest

origenx

origenx, Try this:

Stand with your feet shoulder width. Place you right palm at your lower dantien facing up. The fingers of this palm will be pointing left. Place your left palm about 6 inches above the right palm facing down. Like holding a small ball. Now, move the palms in small circles counter clockwise on a horizontal plane while letting your body gently shake as a result of the movement. Breath naturally and relax. Experiment with different speeds and sizes of circles. Try this for a period of time and then change the palms to opposite current position (right on top and left on bottom).

I feel an immediate effect on my liver area.

Also, very important is diet. Reduce fatty, sugary, greasy foods. Steamed vegetables is best but difficult to do for most.

Another exercise is walking at a quick pace for a good period of time (20 min) which cirrulates the blood through the liver.

HTH,

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

standing still

I like to ask anyone if they ever experienced nausea and presure in the lower dan tien during standing meditation?I have been doing some standing mediatation about 40 min a day for a few months and recently felt pressure and some nausea and I think its from the standing.I was just wounding if this is a normal and will it pass if i continue?
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

You probably standing without movement for too long.

The lymphatic backflow from your feet is retarded or your heart is not pumping enough blood to your brain.

It is better to see a family doctor.

Do you practice when you have a big meal or empty stomach?

Standing practices are in stages.

Some would just do 3 to 5 min, then increase to 10 to 15 min, then 25 min. 30 to 45 min need some time to reach the level.

Some would not be able to stand that long without moving.

You may sit in chair instead.

Or take a 2-5 min break inbetween intervals.
    Last edited by SPJ; 11-27-2004 at 08:13 AM.

No I don't practice standing on an empty or full stomach.I did not mention in my last post I stand for 40mins but I do 20min in the morning then 20min at night and some other chi gong as well.in the begining I started at 5min then ever few days in cresed it a little.I'm starting to feel a little better now.Thanks for your help.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..