Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Zhuang

you are indeed a man of great hono. i will uphold my oath, i will post video tomorw.
    today i am sleepy. i go make hand party then sleep.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You have to progress, you have to leave your baby bottle behind and move on to eating the steak and potatoes man.
    It's funny you should say that. As I understand it, the traditional Shaolin diet is mostly or entirely vegetarian and very soft on the stomach. No chilis. Includes a lot of gruel or thin porridge (with every meal basically). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Crossfit is garbage.
    I have no opinion on crossfit since I've never done it, but as I understand it the US Marines use crossfit. And the Marines are what you could call martial, really martial.

It's not very convincing to say: "put weight and stand there and you will be good at kung fu"...

Is your kung fu that you work in shipping dock and load trucks? because that exercise would be serviceable to your daily function.
    What do you think soldiers do (soldiers, you know, martial people) when they aren't actually fighting?

You have to get to the battle, carrying your gear; your knees and joints have to be able to handle walking over uneven ground with a huge load on your back; you have to dig and build fortifications; you have to unload trucks.

It was always like that in history.

Is your definition of martial training driving the SUV to the gym for just the fun part?
    Last edited by rett; 07-12-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    It's funny you should say that. As I understand it, the traditional Shaolin diet is mostly or entirely vegetarian and very soft on the stomach. No chilis. Includes a lot of gruel or thin porridge (with every meal basically). Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The warrior monks ate meat! So, i guess it depends upon what you consider "traditional"!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The warrior monks ate meat! So, i guess it depends upon what you consider "traditional"!
    Yeah I know Jet Li ate a dog, and his friends tried the frog soup.

The only thing standing training, whether high horse, low horse, cross step or post, improves, is your ability to stand a long time.

The only thing standing training with a barbell on your shoulders improves is your ability to stand a long time with a barbell on your shoulders.

The body is activity specific concerning the results of training. This means one should train as close to the REAL world actions one expects to encounter in REAL life.

Therefore, standing training improves one's ability to stand! The real world benefit would be then, STANDING IN LINE!

So, if you expect to fight standing in a long line, not moving for a long time, or if you expect to fight standing a long time with a barbell on your shoulders, or you just happen to expect to stand a long time in line like at the DMV, or the unemployment line, or at your socialized doctor's office, then standing training is for you!

Full steam ahead!

But if you want to be a good fighter your time is better spent practicing performing actions that mimic REAL life fighting actions!

But if you want to be a good fighter your time is better spent practicing performing actions that mimic REAL life fighting actions!
    Once again. Mohammad Ali skipping rope.

Standing isolates the act of standing to give the mind the freedom to focus on things like internal connection, breathing, structure, relaxation.

In a fight do you think breathing matters? (the answer should be obvious)

Does structure matter, internal connection? (like suppose you lift shoulders?)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about functional training. But breaking things down and very carefully examining one aspect is very good too. The mind can't pay attention to everything at once... most stuff has to run on automatic. So you practice the individual parts and deepen them till they're automatic. Occasionally you probably need to go back to them and refresh it because that's just how people function.

Skippping rope enhances two qualities that directly affect and improve boxing skills:

1) Increases aerobic capacity!
    2) Develops agility! One can see Ali use this specific skill of staying light on his toes in his fights!

The same benefits cannot be attributed to standing!

Internal connection (whatever that is, is debatable), breathing structure and relaxation are more efficiently trained through dynamic activites!

They may also be developed effectively through sitting and lying down meditation. Thus, standing meditation does not apppear to add any clear benefits over other forms of training making active/dynamic training of these skills a more efficient use of ones time.

Skippping rope enhances two qualities that directly affect and improve boxing skills:

1) Increases aerobic capacity!
    2) Develops agility! One can see Ali use this specific skill of staying light on his toes in his fights!

The same benefits cannot be attributed to standing!
    3) footwork development is worked with rope skipping.

Tell me Rett, why are you here?

I ask because when you arrive, you seek ways to bypass the word filters and now you seem to be getting to a point where you will start being an all out troll I think.

am i right? Are you here to troll and play or are you here to discuss martial arts?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yes...that's what I meant by agility training.

Oh and before it goes any further, it is well understood that Jet LI's movie shaolin temple is not a faithful, factual or true telling of the temple. It's a redesign, a redux and a redaction.

There is only one constant at Shaolin temple, and that is change.

Diet isn't really relevant, if you are starving, you will eat anything, principles out the window.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tell me Rett, why are you here?

I ask because when you arrive, you seek ways to bypass the word filters and now you seem to be getting to a point where you will start being an all out troll I think.

am i right? Are you here to troll and play or are you here to discuss martial arts?
    Translation: David cannot keep up with the conversation so he is going to start attacking you as being a troll. Typical of a Kung Fu larping mouth boxer

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    Translation: David cannot keep up with the conversation so he is going to start attacking you as being a troll. Typical of a Kung Fu larping mouth boxer
    more trolls! hooray.

and you are? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.