Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Zhuang

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I have had a few people here freak out on me for saying it wasn't fight training recently.

In fact one person started an entire thread basically complaining that my critique of Yiquan (on these mechanical issues) was unfair.
    this IS the internet, you do realize that
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I have had a few people here freak out on me for saying it wasn't fight training recently.

In fact one person started an entire thread basically complaining that my critique of Yiquan (on these mechanical issues) was unfair.
    I try not to engage morons for too long in a discussion unless I find it particularly amusing.

After a few interactions, it's not too too hard to determine if someone is a wash or not when it comes to understanding how to train. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My problem with "Standing Stake" is there is WAY too much STANDING when there is really NOTHING at STAKE!

I am all for BURNING AT THE STAKE, however!

I'm getting to the age where I'm thinking about taking up standing on stake training. I also wish there was a legit Chen Tai Chi Sifu near me that I could go to too.

I don't have much desire to get punched in the face anymore, and I don't care what the rest of you think but getting kicked in the thighs hurts.

I've got no problem with standing meditation.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I find it to be nice and relaxing and it feels good in the hips and back when I do zhangzhuan.

I don't often do the hug the tree posture.
    I do the palms at sides facing back with "enough space for a quail egg under my arm".

It's really got naught to do with fighting. I guess it's possible that someone is rounding out their curriculum due to a lack of fight training? I mean, who does standing still to learn the incredible dynamic of beating the crap out of someone and trying to keep yourself from being the one who gets the crap beaten out of them.

there's nothing gentlemanly about fighting either. It's just dirty business and it's good to have these skills when you cannot use diplomacy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    personally, I don't stand very long, just 5-10 minutes, certainly not an hour and I certainly don't see it as necessary or beneficial to do it for a year before learning anything else.
    But I do feel it is beneficial to helping one develop body awareness. When you are standing, you feel your body alignment, and make subtle corrections. Just when you think you are aligned, and in balance, you feel another part not quite right, and correct that. This goes on for quite a while.
    I think it's good training, especially for beginners. Too often, I say, "Point your feet forward," and of course, they have to look down at their feet first. They cannot feel that their feet are turning out. If they cannot feel this simple thing, then they certainly cannot feel other parts that are out of alignment-such as elbows, hips, etc.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    personally, I don't stand very long, just 5-10 minutes, certainly not an hour and I certainly don't see it as necessary or beneficial to do it for a year before learning anything else.
    But I do feel it is beneficial to helping one develop body awareness. When you are standing, you feel your body alignment, and make subtle corrections. Just when you think you are aligned, and in balance, you feel another part not quite right, and correct that. This goes on for quite a while.
    I think it's good training, especially for beginners. Too often, I say, "Point your feet forward," and of course, they have to look down at their feet first. They cannot feel that their feet are turning out. If they cannot feel this simple thing, then they certainly cannot feel other parts that are out of alignment-such as elbows, hips, etc.
    *cha ching*.... and here's your free cigar sir.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My job involves a lot of standing! It makes my feet hurt!

I prefer laying down meditation!

this is like someone doing bicep curls and complain weight training doesnt improve your punching power.

do standing post with a 40 pound weight vest.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    When people said that, "standing are considered the most reliable way of generating power using the body", I truly don't know what that person was talking about.

There are so many valuable training in TCMA. Standing just not the most effective way to spend your training time in it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When people said that, "standing are considered the most reliable way of generating power using the body", I truly don't know what that person was talking about.
    Neither do they!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There are so many valuable training in TCMA. Standing just not the most effective way to spend your training time in it.
    standing post is great. its trains tolerance for pain and increase leg endurance.

Blog Entries
    If you can spend your training time to hit a heavy bag then why do you want to stand there like an idiot? IMO, the standing is worse than the solo form training. At least when you train solo form, you are hitting the thin air. When you stand, you are not even hit anything.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.

because after hitting a heavy bag for one hour your hands are tired, and you can train other things.