Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Zhuang

I mostly use public transit. sometimes my bus wait is for 10-20 minutes. sometimes i do standing at that time, instead of nothing at all or being tired and waiting. or sometimes i even do standing at work, when i have no work to do. it is really the only kind of training i can do at certain times is just standing. if it was acceptable to fight people or use a heavy bag at work or at the bus stop, i would. haha

i think this is a good time for standing, when you have nothing else you can do.

also if you have to stand out in the winter, simple standing will keep your whole body warm easily.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

put a 100 pound barbell on your back and sink down into a fighting stance. if you find it useless after that then your opinion has merit.

i know you got weights john wang. why dont you try it right now if you are not busy? in 20 minutes tell me what you think.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-11-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I do it as part of my morning "Tao Yoga" routine: 5 minutes standing, then a few exercises from Dao Yin and Eight Pieces Brocade, followed by Sun salutation and seated stretches, ending with about 10 min. lying meditation.
    I also do it before doing my Tai Chi set. I find it's a great way to set myself up mentally and physically for such practices.
    For fighting? no.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    There are some stands that are much harder to train and you will get great benefit out of it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/13taibo5.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/13tbzz.jpg/

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you can spend your training time to hit a heavy bag then why do you want to stand there like an idiot? .
    I don't. It so happens that when I stand, I stand quite intelligently.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There are some stands that are much harder to train and you will get great benefit out of it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/13taibo5.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/13tbzz.jpg/
    ok, i am free today and i will try doing what you showed in your photo right now. you should also try what i said and stand post with a barbell on your back. tell me what you think in 20 minutes.

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtUKTd2WKsc

I just don't see to "stand on 2 feet in high stance" can give you much combat benefit at all.

I would rather to stand like this.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/chang13tb.jpg/

Zhan Zhuang is great because it only takes a few minutes and it doesn't trigger a burdensome recovery need; you can practice it everyday. Trains pain tolerance, breath control, leg/hip strength, flexibility and if held deep enough while stressing absolutely perfect posture it also works the core extensively.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    ok, i am free today and i will try doing what you showed in your photo right now. you should also try what i said and stand post with a barbell on your back. tell me what you think in 20 minutes.
    Those 2 stances can help you to "enhance" your "shin bit", "outer hook". To stand post with a barbell on my back is not going to help me to "enhance" any of my combat skills.

If I care for "health" only, I'll do my 4 miles running.

hi, i just tried the postures you showed, i find they are good for balance.

now you should try standing post: go in low horse stance with a barbell on your back.

i tried what you said, now you should try what i said, otherwise you are just taling out of your ass.

Please explain how it trains pain tolerance when it is painless?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

when i do my high standing i do it two ways. one rocked all the way back onto my heals to the point of balance and maintain that the whole time. expand, contract, up, down, left and right. activating the muscles constantly. the other i stand on the balls of my feet with the same movement emphasis while standing. the third is combat stance.

for instance when i do step forward straight or cross punch, classic western boxer style. the muscles in the legs used are the same muscles i actively work while standing in my legs. in what i was taught, the key is not to be static. ever. never be completely still. you must be doing cardiovascular exersize the whole time while you stand. if you jsut stand there still, you are doing it wrong. by the way i was taught to stand. so i think there can be benefit, even if ever so slight. but while i stand at work or for the bus. at least i can get some benefits.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    haha. i will dare you to come to gregory fong for 1 free class and ask him that. i think there are many different ways of 'standing'

stance training is a fundamental kung fu skill. traditional kung fu. if you guys dont want to do it you have a problem.

instead of talking out of your asses, put a barbell on your back, or wear a weight vest, and do stance training, then give your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Horse stance is painless?

Christ, Jim'son. . .