Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Zhuang

Zhan Zhuang is nice to do if your knees are sore and you still want to train but don't want twisting movements for a few days. Older you get the more you appreciate a softer more natural rhythm IMO.

I don't really understand the point of the original poster. Of course it's not "fight training". But what about Mohammad Ali skipping rope before a fight? It's not fight training, but in another way it is. Skipping rope is good for you. Meditation is good for you. Anything that's good for you is good for you.

Besides either you trust your teacher or you don't. If you trust your teacher, do what he or she says. If you don't, go somewhere else.
    Last edited by rett; 07-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.

standing post means standing on a wooden post

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtUKTd2WKsc

I just don't see to "stand on 2 feet in high stance" can give you much combat benefit at all.

I would rather to stand like this.

That is a great one.

Also, chaotiandeng.

i dont like boxes
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Horse stance is painless?

Christ, Jim'son. . .

Standing post isn't horse stance, certainly not sei ping dai ma type of horse stance.

It's upright in almost all instances and variations, and then someone wants to be different so they start doing stances for a long time such as you are saying, like horse stance or empty leg etc.

That's not standing post, that's halfway between getting good stances and too much time in them which is not very useful either.

The best way to work stances and positioning is to get the shape, set it, then start putting forces against it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Standing post isn't horse stance, certainly not sei ping dai ma type of horse stance.

It's upright in almost all instances and variations
    high post is for weak and frail people, medium post is for beginners, and low post is for strong people.

the lower the post is the faster you gain qi.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    high post is for weak and frail people, medium post is for beginners, and low post is for strong people.

the lower the post is the faster you gain qi.
    if you tell your teacher that standing high is too easy you just get to go lower...and if thats too easy, you just get to add more weight. lesson: never tell your teacher anything is easy.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

advanced stance training involves using weights. standing on the wooden posts which are only 2/3 the size of your feet engages your cores for stability.

advanced stance training involves using weights. standing on the wooden posts which are only 2/3 the size of your feet engages your cores for stability.
    you can use free standing blocks too. you control not to send them falling. and you have to jump up onto them without knocking them down before you can start.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Anything that's good for you is good for you.
    There are a lot of things that are good for our body. the question is do we have time to train everything? What's the most effective way to spend our training time? If we repeat groin kick, face punch drill for 2 hours (or just hip throw drill), even in slow motion, will it be better than just "stand there like an idiot"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    . the question is do we have time to train everything?
    yes. you have plenty of time. if you just try it and stand in a low horse stance with weight vest, or a barbell you will not last 5 minutes. instead of just giving baseless opinion give it a try. i tried what you said, it was good balance training. why dont you try what i said? what are you afraid of?

I think you guys are mixing up stance training regimen with qigong regimen.

they're different things.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yes. you have plenty of time. if you just try it and stand in a low horse stance with weight vest, or a barbell you will not last 5 minutes. instead of just giving baseless opinion give it a try. i tried what you said, it was good balance training. why dont you try what i said? what are you afraid of?
    why not do plyometrics instead?

static stance training has very little return on investment.

I've tried both of what you guys are doing and each is limited in what it brings to fighting skill.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

nope. they are one and the same. in northern kung fu horse stance training involves abdominal breathing and visualization of qi.

I've tried both of what you guys are doing and each is limited in what it brings to fighting skill.
    traing "gongs" take time. slapping bags for one day isnt gonna give you iron palm.
    why not do plyometrics instead?
    stance itraining, static and moving, is for stability , correct structure and endurance. squats is for training strength.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-11-2011 at 12:33 PM.

I think you guys are mixing up stance training regimen with qigong regimen.

they're different things.
    No Jamie Davidson