Thread: shaolin 5 animals

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    The CLF form on YouTube labeled "Golden Leapord" is actually a bit incorrect. The form is Ping Jahng Kuen (level elbow form) however some lineages call it Gum Pow Ping Janhg Kuen or Golden Leapord Level Elbow form; however it is not an animal set persay but it does have the trademark CLF panther fist, but then just about every other CLF set has the panther fist.
    I am learning this set right now from a friend and he said the same thing about it being a leopard form . I know that CLF , at least in GMDFW's CLF, there is a Goldern Leopard form and a Tiger vs. Golden Leopard form a part from this one.( level elbow)

There is a Panther vs. Tiger form in CLF, not sure if the "golden" is used in all lineages. Typically it would be Pow Ying Chak Fu Ying (Panther vs. Tiger). I have never heard of a gum pow ying kuen set only pow ying kuen as it is one of the 10 animal sets in CLF. If you look at DFW list of forms "gum pow" or "golden panther" is only used in the 2-man set.

There is a YouTube clip out there that say Golden Leopard/Panther, which is the Level Elbow set. Reason I know is they are from my lineage.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 11-28-2007 at 05:26 PM.

leopard

this is all very interesting. what i want to know is, panther is supposedly the northern version of leopard yet it seems like its a big part of clf which is southern. why is panther used then?

No the chinese "pow" just translates to either panther/leopard. Some people say panther fist some say leopard fist. It is the same thing.

5 animals

thanks for that info nole. I think im either gonna focus on snake or tiger at first, either of those seem the best of the 5 animals for combat.

Blog Entries
    Actually When You Think About It.......

Panther Is Probably A Great Thing To Focus On. Its Fast, Fluid, Effective, And Can Be Done In Many Different Ways.

Tiger Claw, If You Don't Don't Mind The Possibility Of Being Prosecuted For Maiming Someone Then Cool. Snake Is Great For Its Speed Too, Coiling, And Such........

But Its Always Up To The Person Training......

One Thing I Will Try To Pass On........is Always Be A Student.....even If You Are A Master.......remain A Student For Life.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

In CLF snake would be considered more of an internal/soft animal whereas obviously tiger would be more external/hard. So they would be completely different in terms of power and technique.

Frank, we are all always students and can never stop learning (and you know I don't mean sets).

5 animals

yep i agree they are extreme differences. I was thinking this because fu jow pai has already been proven effective for combat but you do have to be very careful how you use it. Snake could possibly allow much more restraint in self defense, it also uses trapping and sticking hands I believe, which may be where wing chun got it from. I think I need to decide which animal fits me physically best and my personal fighting style over just which I would choose because it seems the coolest.

Hello all!

Nice one hskwarrior! LOL Sounds like a FOX special: "When 5-clawed Beavers Attack part 13"

Also, to anyone who cares: a panther is actually just a black jaguar. It is not a seperate species.

-Blake
    "Gungfu is not just about fighting."

"Repitition is the mother of skill."