Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shaolin 5 animals

5 animals

thanks for that info nole. I think im either gonna focus on snake or tiger at first, either of those seem the best of the 5 animals for combat.

Blog Entries
    Actually When You Think About It.......

Panther Is Probably A Great Thing To Focus On. Its Fast, Fluid, Effective, And Can Be Done In Many Different Ways.

Tiger Claw, If You Don't Don't Mind The Possibility Of Being Prosecuted For Maiming Someone Then Cool. Snake Is Great For Its Speed Too, Coiling, And Such........

But Its Always Up To The Person Training......

One Thing I Will Try To Pass On........is Always Be A Student.....even If You Are A Master.......remain A Student For Life.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

In CLF snake would be considered more of an internal/soft animal whereas obviously tiger would be more external/hard. So they would be completely different in terms of power and technique.

Frank, we are all always students and can never stop learning (and you know I don't mean sets).

5 animals

yep i agree they are extreme differences. I was thinking this because fu jow pai has already been proven effective for combat but you do have to be very careful how you use it. Snake could possibly allow much more restraint in self defense, it also uses trapping and sticking hands I believe, which may be where wing chun got it from. I think I need to decide which animal fits me physically best and my personal fighting style over just which I would choose because it seems the coolest.

Hello all!

Nice one hskwarrior! LOL Sounds like a FOX special: "When 5-clawed Beavers Attack part 13"

Also, to anyone who cares: a panther is actually just a black jaguar. It is not a seperate species.

-Blake
    "Gungfu is not just about fighting."

"Repitition is the mother of skill."

Blog Entries
    Maybe You Shouldn't Be Looking For A Specific Animal Style......but Find One That Has The Essence You Are Looking For.

See, I Too Love The Fu Jow.....in Every Way.

Its Not Just About The Technique But The Spirit And Essence Behind It.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Is The Beaver one of the animals?
    Cause if it is....

Your posts are half the reason that I read this forum!

5 animals

thats true hsk it is more important to be able to feel the essence and love the art you are doing. not because you like the animal style but because it fits you in many ways. unless you have that your training is hollow im sure. What do you guys think of dragon? its not a personal fav of the 5 animals but it seems very good and well rounded. Also I do see a few dragon style schools which are holding up throughout the u.s.

Dragon style itself is quite different than how it is seen in 5-animals forms of say CLF, hung gar or hung fut. Dragon style is a short hand style along similar (not the same) lines as bak mei, yau gung mun, hakka tong long, etc... very different concepts and power generation.

5 animals

that sounds very cool, i wonder how it is represented in the 5 animals system and how power is generated for dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Your posts are half the reason that I read this forum!
    Always nice to hear from my fans

Back on topic, all the "kitty" styles - Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Cat, Mexican Bald taco, are all very cool, though I must admit I have yet to see their "trademark" moves in a practical situation.

Besides the Mexican Bald Taco, I know that one very well !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

kitty

yeah those styles do look really cool. i enjoy the footwork of the leopard/panther forms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KihD...eature=related

dragon

dragon's use of power is very different. It seems to have the least in common with the other 5 animal styles, I can see why there are dragon kung-fu schools.

If I remember correctly, dragon generates its power from the legs, having a good strong base. My experience with dragon techniques involves lots of grabbing, pushing and throwing. Kicks were very much in line with northern shaolin styles (big and fancy) not short and low like most southern kicks.

I enjoy dragon movements. They remind me a lot of Tai Chi movements in the sense of fluidity, grace, and power.

Peace,
    Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

5 animals

i was reading some info on that also. the power of dragon comes from the hips swinging similiar to southern mantis and bak mei. where as in the power of tiger comes from the back and arms. very cool stuff!