Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrids

Hybrids

I notice there is a lot of debate and discussion about the purity of the arts and the hybridization of styles. Many of the schools that proclaim to be pure forms of a specific style and yet ,at some point ,they do have other aspects of other arts absorbed into them from other styles/systems. What does everyone here think about this?? Is there anything wrong with these hybrid styles ? Is there more to be gained from studying in one of these schools compared to a pure style/ system??

I think it depends on what you're talking about as a hybrid. If it's like baji/pigua combination, Sun taiji, or a well put together MMA training program I think it's cool. But when you're like my first karate/kungfu teacher taking seemingly random material from other sources which you obviously don't understand that well just so you can say you're a master of X number of styles (basically fudging a resume for prospective students) then I think that's a bad hybrid. Sure, some talented focused people will still figure things out as there's still thrust kicks, punches, chin na, throwing, etc. in the mess... Though often systems like that aren't exactly integrated, so it's not a real "hybrid" system. Just random superficial material from other systems not done particularly well. It's gotta be logically put together not just a sprawling mess of random forms and poses. I think some "traditional" systems have this problem too. I don't care how old the system is, I'm not learning 100+ forms There's some systems out there where 1 branch will have 5 or 10 forms, then another has 100+... I think at some point some teachers (current and in the past) padded their curriculums a bit to string people along, or make their knowledge seem much greater than it is

I think really, there are no "pure" styles. It's only a matter of how long ago changes were made, and where they came from. There's nothing wrong with modern "hybrid" styles...only time will tell how effective they are. The styles we think of as "pure" or "traditional" made innovations and inclusions long ago, since they have lasted the test of time they are accepted as beneficial changes. All martial arts are evolving and changing all the time, with every new generation and teacher. How much there is to gain depends on the quality of the teacher.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Cool

I respect both of your inputs. Lets see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    I think really, there are no "pure" styles. It's only a matter of how long ago changes were made, and where they came from. There's nothing wrong with modern "hybrid" styles...only time will tell how effective they are. The styles we think of as "pure" or "traditional" made innovations and inclusions long ago, since they have lasted the test of time they are accepted as beneficial changes. All martial arts are evolving and changing all the time, with every new generation and teacher. How much there is to gain depends on the quality of the teacher.
    I agree, even the most "traditional" of styles was a hybrid.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    I think it depends on what you're talking about as a hybrid. If it's like baji/pigua combination, Sun taiji, or a well put together MMA training program I think it's cool. But when you're like my first karate/kungfu teacher taking seemingly random material from other sources which you obviously don't understand that well just so you can say you're a master of X number of styles (basically fudging a resume for prospective students) then I think that's a bad hybrid.
    I agree. Styles that compliment one another can be merged easily.

A mish-mash and hodge-podge of forms is simply counterproductive.

Long Fist = Hybrid

Although it is considered a traditional system.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I agree, even the most "traditional" of styles was a hybrid.
    Ah see this is something that I am also getting at too , the use of the word "traditional". You mean "purest" of styles, am I right ?

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Long Fist = Hybrid

Although it is considered a traditional system.
    Once again "purest"not traditional. i know what you are saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I agree. Styles that compliment one another can be merged easily.

A mish-mash and hodge-podge of forms is simply counterproductive.
    I have heard you and others use this in describing SD and other schools before . How can it just be a hodge podge or mish mash of "forms/ styles" if they all come from the same sources ?? Are they not different brances of the same tree based on the same or similar philosphical principles??.

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I have heard you and others use this in describing SD and other schools before . How can it just be a hodge podge or mish mash of "forms/ styles" if they all come from the same sources ?? Are they not different brances of the same tree based on the same or similar philosphical principles??.
    You're joking, right? OK, I've got a personal interest in hsing i. You think that's shaolin? How about taiji or bagua? These 3 "internal" arts come from the same sources as which other arts in the SD curriculum? People spend a lifetime learning just one of those styles. OTOH they're a stepping stone in the SD belt program.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You're joking, right? OK, I've got a personal interest in hsing i. You think that's shaolin? How about taiji or bagua? These 3 "internal" arts come from the same sources as which other arts in the SD curriculum? People spend a lifetime learning just one of those styles. OTOH they're a stepping stone in the SD belt program.
    All of these arts have the same roots and trunk , they have branched out and have come to fruitation. The fruits of these trees continue to fertilize the roots and the soil. They all are based on Chinese philosophy , some borrowed and some not.

All of these arts have the same roots and trunk , they have branched out and have come to fruitation. The fruits of these trees continue to fertilize the roots and the soil. They all are based on Chinese philosophy , some borrowed and some not.
    Wow.

"If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Ah see this is something that I am also getting at too , the use of the word "traditional". You mean "purest" of styles, am I right ?
    No such thing as a pure style, outside of hype and revisonist history.
    But I now what you mean, hence the quotation marks.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Just wondering.
    Southern short arm forms + Northern Long arm forms + internal forms + some made up stuff is a hodge podge, anyway you look at it. At least 3 drastically different fighting methods, all performed and practiced exactly the same way.