Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybrids

I prefer to transition from one thing to the next depending on what range I am in at the moment.

having said that, it takes many colours to make a magnificent painting, but equally, it can take only one to produce the same beauty.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Southern short arm forms......
    THAT explains EVERYTHING!
    (gotta watch out, they may come after you for giving away the secret of SD)
    (although I'm not sure why they'd choose to avoid the Northern short arm stuff....)
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 11-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.

I figured this thread would eventually turn into an SD thread (although I'm sure TTM didn't intend for it to). Time to merge with the mega-thread gene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

At least 3 drastically different fighting methods, all performed and practiced exactly the same way.
    Not possible!
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I figured this thread would eventually turn into an SD thread (although I'm sure TTM didn't intend for it to). Time to merge with the mega-thread gene.
    JP, soon as they see SD it's over.....this is a place where people come to start sh!t and stroke their MA egos....it's easy to coach a ballgame from the stands (or from a keyboard)

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I prefer to transition from one thing to the next depending on what range I am in at the moment.

having said that, it takes many colours to make a magnificent painting, but equally, it can take only one to produce the same beauty.
    Excellent !!!
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You're joking, right?
    OK, I've got a personal interest in hsing i. You think that's shaolin?
    did not originate there.

How about taiji or bagua?
    did not originate there

These 3 "internal" arts come from the same sources as which other arts in the SD curriculum?
    They don't

People spend a lifetime learning just one of those styles. OTOH they're a stepping stone in the SD belt program.
    not true

jsdgjkh[etgkpieugheqprge

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby
    You're joking, right?
    OK, I've got a personal interest in hsing i. You think that's shaolin?
    did not originate there.

How about taiji or bagua?
    did not originate there
    These 3 "internal" arts come from the same sources as which other arts in the SD curriculum?
    They don't
    I thought that was the official position (i.e. I'm agreeing with you). I didn't think I'd read on the SD thread that you believed that everything in the system had a common root. That's why I couldn't quite believe what I was reading. You listening, tattoedmonk?

People spend a lifetime learning just one of those styles. OTOH they're a stepping stone in the SD belt program.
    not true
    That's not what the curriculum says on various SD websites. I don't really know much about SD and I don't particularly care. I get you guys mixed up apart from Bruce (who I was going to meet) but I seem to remember that you're a more senior SDer? He has posted that in the other thread that there are people like him who concentrate on specific things and work them for a long time. Maybe you're like that too? But he's also said that there are people whose sole interest is in belt progression so they learn forms to the competence necessary to pass the next level and that's it, i.e. the stepping stone approach.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

[QUOTE=Toby;822162]I thought that was the official position (i.e. I'm agreeing with you). I didn't think I'd read on the SD thread that you believed that everything in the system had a common root. That's why I couldn't quite believe what I was reading. You listening, tattoedmonk?

That's not what the curriculum says on various SD websites. I don't really know much about SD and I don't particularly care. I get you guys mixed up apart from Bruce (who I was going to meet) but I seem to remember that you're a more senior SDer? He has posted that in the other thread that there are people like him who concentrate on specific things and work them for a long time. Maybe you're like that too? But he's also said that there are people whose sole interest is in belt progression so they learn forms to the competence necessary to pass the next level and that's it, i.e. the stepping stone approach.[/B]

True & True & True...also True of a lot of what's out there....there is a good core in SD...just hard to find.....when you get to big that always happens

These arts can be just a stepping stone. It depends on the individual. Its like any other business based school--there are people that just show up and there are people that really work at learning and understanding the differences. Bruce is an excellent example of the latter, but there are more out there. The knowledge is there if you have the motivation and the commitment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Same source

When I said this I meant the same basic foundation. It is how you apply the Internal/ External principles that makes it unique and different. There is a great amount of overlap in all CMA.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    When I said this I meant the same basic foundation. It is how you apply the Internal/ External principles that makes it unique and different. There is a great amount of overlap in all CMA.

All of these arts have the same roots and trunk , they have branched out and have come to fruitation. The fruits of these trees continue to fertilize the roots and the soil. They all are based on Chinese philosophy , some borrowed and some not.
    So your stance is that any style based on Chinese philosophy can be easily blended with another style based on Chinese philosophy?

So your stance is that any style based on Chinese philosophy can be easily blended with another style based on Chinese philosophy?
    If you know how and where they overlap and are related, yeah.