Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tradition

Tradition

comes from the latin word "traditio" meaning to" hand over" or "pass down".

I know that there are many traditions in the martial arts and everyone claims or seems to believe what they practice or have learned what is truely traditional.

I believe that many people misuse this word and / or do not know what it means.

What do you think??

What are some of the traditions that you practice, old or new??

What makes someones traditions right or wrong??

Is that even possible??

Personally the only tradition that matters is the INTENT in which the creator of a system, developed that system.

If it was developed as a practical fighting system, then it must remain so and anything that lowers that standard is going against tradition.
    If it was developed as a form of exerces ot spiritual pursuit, then that is the tradition of that system.

Anythign else is added on window dressing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    comes from the latin word "traditio" meaning to" hand over" or "pass down".

I know that there are many traditions in the martial arts and everyone claims or seems to believe what they practice or have learned what is truely traditional.

I believe that many people misuse this word and / or do not know what it means.

What do you think??

What are some of the traditions that you practice, old or new??

What makes someones traditions right or wrong??

Is that even possible??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw
    LOL I crack myself up.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    From what you said in the Why do people think they should get to train for free? Thread tradition seams have different a meaning: to take or taken & do what you want with it because you’ve paid for it.

Tradition also creates identity.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mano Mano View Post
    From what you said in the Why do people think they should get to train for free? Thread tradition seams have different a meaning: to take or taken & do what you want with it because you’ve paid for it.
    Hw did you get this out of what i posted ?? Y sure you can make anything look the way you want to if you take it out of context.

Think what you want.

Where is it written that I can not take what I have learned and teach it how I want to in the format that I choose. I like how convenient it is to say I am not being a traditionalist and i am stealing the arts by not getting perimission but everybody else can bastadize the arts and its okay because it is american and we are a capitalistic country and all that. Whatever. pull your head out of your a$$
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 11-28-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Where is it written that I can not take what I have learned and teach it how I want to in the format that I choose.
    People like you are a disgrace to the arts and dishonor them. You are a sell out, obviously since you couldn't advance in Shaolin Do (you were kicked out!) you've decided to try and pass off some choy suey you made up as "Shaolin". I am sure the founders of Shaolin Do are rolling in their graves at your disrespect
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Think what you want. Where is it written that I can not take what I have learned and teach it how I want to in the format that I choose. I like how convenient it is to say I am not being a traditionalist and i am stealing the arts by not getting perimission but everybody else can bastadize the arts and its okay because it is american and we are a capitalistic country and all that. Whatever. pull your head out of your a$$
    It's not written anywhere but for someone who espouses 'traditional' views, it does not seem like you follow them. There is nothing wrong with non-traditional training or views, it just seems that you are switching back and forth.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    People like you are a disgrace to the arts and dishonor them. You are a sell out, obviously since you couldn't advance in Shaolin Do (you were kicked out!) you've decided to try and pass off some choy suey you made up as "Shaolin". I am sure the founders of Shaolin Do are rolling in their graves at your disrespect
    Guess you did not read as to how and why I was kicked out. No matter.where in that list of material is anything made up?? I created my own school and system just like the masters before me.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 11-28-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mook Jong View Post
    It's not written anywhere but for someone who espouses 'traditional' views, it does not seem like you follow them. There is nothing wrong with non-traditional training or views, it just seems that you are switching back and forth.
    No, I am choosing as to which traditions I want to follow.But they do utilize many of the traditions from chinese , Japanes e and Indonesian varieties of the Shaolin Arts.

There is a difference.

The traditions that I am establishing are different than yours and others peoples. But it does not make them better or worse , just different. All the traditions that are used and practiced in schools today are modern traditions . I am getting back to the roots using Taoism , Buddhism, Shamanism , and Confucianism as the base.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 11-28-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Fair enough i can see where you're coming from. I think the problem is that when most people hear traditional (by most people i pretty much mean me), they assume that it's going to be one tradition, not several.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

To me tradition doesnt mean HOW to train..it means to train hard but in a 2007 way not 1765. Tradition means to preserve the style and keep it polished...at no time let it get dusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mook Jong View Post
    Fair enough i can see where you're coming from. I think the problem is that when most people hear traditional (by most people i pretty much mean me), they assume that it's going to be one tradition, not several.
    Cool . You see this is the thing, it is one tradition that has many branches. Ones that went from China, to Japan , Indonesia, and then America.(There are others these are the main ones Iam working with).

I am just bringing everything full circle. Most people do not care or misunderstand and do not want to listen because they already have their preconceived ideas.

There is a lot to be learned from the areas and regions that the art has traveled in. Many of the traditions that have been adopted are cultural as well as many of the adaption and interpretations . Bringing everything together from these multiple sources gives a clear picture of what the Shaolin arts are truely all about. If we just take the Chinese view then we are leaving out the others cultures contributions and those parts of the evolution of the arts.

This does not make sense if you truely want to embody the true essence of the arts

Anyway thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    To me tradition doesnt mean HOW to train..it means to train hard but in a 2007 way not 1765. Tradition means to preserve the style and keep it polished...at no time let it get dusted.
    if done right they should be very similar. we just have better equipment, greater technology and more knowledge about the human body now.

Blog Entries
    There is a lot to be learned from the areas and regions that the art has traveled in. Many of the traditions that have been adopted are cultural as well as many of the adaption and interpretations . Bringing everything together from these multiple sources gives a clear picture of what the Shaolin arts are truely all about. If we just take the Chinese view then we are leaving out the others cultures contributions and those parts of the evolution of the arts.
    If you ever get a chance to watch Ross' DVDs, he does exactly this. He is extremely knowledgeable with the traditional arts, and he cites them and their core concepts and principles and how they apply in Sanda.

And he knows how to run a business well. Doesn't make his knowledge and teachings any less valid.

You have a total misperception about it, because you are looking from the outside. And based off of that outside look, you cast the first stone. Why not cast stones and give your critique AFTER you've seen the videos/visit the school? You prejudged and casted the first stone. That is why he is being hard on you.

If you want insight into his philosophy of how he reconciles his traditional CMA and his business acumen, why take the antagonistic approach? You get nowhere very fast that way.

I don't know about you, but in my TCMA training, I was taught that if you show respect, you will get respect. Casting stones and antagonizing with prejudged critiques that only have basings in outside observation is NOT a way to show respect for someone you wanted to discuss an issue with.

Peace.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy