Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tradition

fair enough

I do not neccesarilly agree with his methods but from what I have read and heard about him I know that what you are saying is true.I do not see where he gives that much respect so why should he get it.? He belittles a lot of people who are less fortunate and priviledge as he has been . I know that he has worked hard to get where he is at , he makes it sound like he did it on his own with no help. I have asked questions and was attacked as well. It makes no never mind now. I am over it.

i thought you had a point until i remembered you do shaolin do.
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    All the traditions that are used and practiced in schools today are modern traditions
    don't be a frog in the bottom of a well.
    Last edited by bawang; 11-29-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Can you teach a traditional art, in a modern way? If so, are then a modern, or traditionalist?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Can you teach a traditional art, in a modern way? If so, are then a modern, or traditionalist?
    The only tradition one should keep is the one that a system was developed in, anything else is window dressing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I do not neccesarilly agree with his methods but from what I have read and heard about him I know that what you are saying is true.I do not see where he gives that much respect so why should he get it.? He belittles a lot of people who are less fortunate and priviledge as he has been . I know that he has worked hard to get where he is at , he makes it sound like he did it on his own with no help. I have asked questions and was attacked as well. It makes no never mind now. I am over it.
    David just says the stuff out loud that many of us are THINKING. He takes the risk of sounding like an a$$hole, but many people still agree with him.

Unfortunatly, there is an extememly wide range of skill/experience levels here on this forum. We all want to be treated equally, when we are in fact - not equal. At least where it involves KF. (obviously, we're all human beings...blah blah blah)

We have people who have been training in the arts for 25+ years, getting into a martial arts history debate with someone who is spouting out some uneducated sh1t from their inexperienced mouths, which the heard from thier teacher who has been learning exclusivily from videos, movies and an occasional seminar. (that was no reference to anyone specifically, I'm just generalizing)

It urks many of us to hear the BS that comes out of some of the more inexperienced people's mouths and how they are so head strong - like they are the one's who know the real answers.

And don't get me started about how the guys who teach in parks want to judge those who own and operate schools. We don't judge you for not being fully committed to spreading your art and keeping your safe day-job, why rag on us?

Too many people still live in the martial arts fantasy movie world and dont' actually know first hand of martial art traditions.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 11-29-2007 at 09:17 AM.

And don't get me started about how the guys who teach in parks want to judge those who own and operate schools. We don't judge you for not being fully committed to spreading your art and keeping your safe day-job, why rag on us?
    Well said.
    While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, if someone can have a commercial school that reaches many people and still maintain quality of instruction, they shoudl be praised and not persecuted.
    Some MA are designed for 1-on-1 instruction or small groups, hence the majority of intelligent teachers teach THOSE systems in THAT enviroment, in the case of Dave, what he teaches in "bulk" is what is designed to be taught in "bulk" and the results speak for themselves.

Biotching about someone making a decent living teaching MA because you can't is like harping about someone getting the Taco you can't get, grow up about it and move on.

getting the Taco you can't get
    you ****er you have my taco
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    you ****er you have my taco
    Dude, I am all about sharing the taco, as long as its not mine, if you catch my drift !

Speaking of which: