Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Distance Learning in MA

Distance Learning in MA

As you all already know, I'm learning via correspondence with GM Doc Fai Wong. We've come a long way since the 80's, where one would have to order the tapes via snail mail, wait 6-8 weeks, learn the forms, and then have to fly to wherever, possibly to learn that you've been doing everything wrong.
    Where we are now, I can either e-mail the school directly for the vids or order them online. I can speak to the GM after training, send him videos over the internet of what I did, and he can critique me, sometimes on the same day, but never more than a few days. (He's wandering about China right now) He even lets me know what he can't see, so I can adjust the camera in later shoots.

With that said, where can we go from here? I have a few ideas floating about.

*A distance learning forum/chat room, where distance learners can have peer discussions, possibly saving the GM time by not having to deal with "Is my say ping ma too high?" questions. It's also a good place to let us know we aren't alone, and we can measure our progress against others who are learning the same way.

*Utilize virtual teleconferencing for events such as grading, etc. This would essentially put the GM in the same room as you, and let him see everything you are doing in a nonrehearsed, nonrecorded manner. For instance, you can't mess up on the ng lun choi five or six times before getting it right for presentation. It's all or nothing.

*Online repositories. Videos of forms, techniques, etc for paying members. I wouldn't charge the same as being in the school, but this could be a wealth of information and training aids if done right. I think Master Chen Yong Fa has something similar. No idea what the Buk Sing do for this, the secretive buggers!

*And call me a nerd, but IT guys love a quote of the day. Just put it on the website. Anywhere.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Drake,

I noticed that you are a service member in Germany. Where in Germany? My last duty station in Germany was Wuerzburg back in the mid 90's. It was there that I learned a style of Kung Fu called Jingang Quan (aka Diamond Fist). My instructor was a DA Civilian, married to a German and I do not believe he had any plans to ever return to the States. He may still be there teaching if you are interested.

Peace,
    Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by RFM View Post
    Drake,

I noticed that you are a service member in Germany. Where in Germany? My last duty station in Germany was Wuerzburg back in the mid 90's. It was there that I learned a style of Kung Fu called Jingang Quan (aka Diamond Fist). My instructor was a DA Civilian, married to a German and I do not believe he had any plans to ever return to the States. He may still be there teaching if you are interested.

Peace,
    Bob

Bob,
    A lot of bases have closed since then. I think Wurzburg was one of them. There's still a few places here, such as Graf, Vilseck, Wiesbaden (where I am), Heidelburg, Kaiserslautern, Landstuhl and Stuttgart. There's others, though.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

That's a bummer. I was at Landstuhl (at the hospital) last summer (06) as a Reservist, was doing my three week (yes, three) annual training. But I am no longer a reservist, just a simple DA civilian myself working on Ft Riley at the hospital.

There is little in martial arts here (Ft Riley/Junction City KS). No Kung Fu that I am aware of, though I have thought of teaching again, I am long out of practice and have little time to dedicate as I once did when I was at Ft Sam Houston (San Antonio, TX).

Good luck in your endeavors!

-Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Maybe you should teach and bring something to Ft. Riley. Why not see if the post gym will let you give classes? We had a guy teaching Mantis here a while back. I suppose he PCSed a while back.
    Its hard staying with an art in the Army, because either you're moving, or they are.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Drake,

How are you evaluated on application?

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cunningham View Post
    Drake,

How are you evaluated on application?

Todd
    By recording myself performing. Usually get feedback relatively quickly.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

I think he means application of techniques probably more in a useage sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I think he means application of techniques probably more in a useage sense.
    What do you mean? Just the apps by themselves? Or do I randomly go out and attack someone to test my effectiveness?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

What I think Todd is asking (an he could say for sure) is how do you get evaluated on application of techniques? Meaning when most test under typical school conditions you have to demostrate useage of the techniques against an instructor or something like that.

My guess would be that you would have to go to the school for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    What I think Todd is asking (an he could say for sure) is how do you get evaluated on application of techniques? Meaning when most test under typical school conditions you have to demostrate useage of the techniques against an instructor or something like that.

My guess would be that you would have to go to the school for something like that.
    The GM can tell when my apps during the form are out of whack. for example, during a form, I perform a kick and then follow up with a pek choi. He noticed that with my pek choi I didn't guard my elbow.

He also noted that I should use more hip with my jongs.

I'm not sure how much hands on he really needs at this point of his understanding of CLF.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Ok, I see what you're getting at. I suppose there's not really much way to do this. Back before I went into CLF I had to "take" my belt from my instructor, using only what I'd learned, and nothing else. Was a rough day for me.

I think as time goes by, and we become more familiar with technologies available to us, we can overcome this obstacle too.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

How much does he charge for distance learning? Is it comparable to regular kungfu classes?

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    How much does he charge for distance learning? Is it comparable to regular kungfu classes?
    He only charges an initial fee (less than $50. I remember it was cheap) and the cost of the DVDs is on you. It's a far cry from TMWs video set ($$$$$$$$$).

The only thing I don't like, and it can't be helped, is that I don't have someone watching me perform real-time. And as Sifu Lance once mentioned, some things are hard to explain in words or e-mails.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

That's a pretty good deal compared to how most try to run distance learning programs. $50 is a pretty small fee to get consistent direct feedback to what you learn from someone's instructional dvds.