Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way of the Peaceful Warrior, fasting, vegatrianism/raw foods, internal arts, life

dwid Guest

Sorry if I came across as a bit too harsh on Millman

Like I said, I enjoyed the book when I first read it and I definitely see the point that it's a good introduction to another way of thinking. It's just really hard for me at the point in my life I'm at now to digest any of this stuff where "the path" is laid out for you. Like 8step, I follow my own path and am generally suspicious of anyone who lets someone else do the legwork (no pun intended) for them. But as a way to open your eyes to help you go about finding your own path, it's a pretty solid book, and I guess I would recommend it to people who are just starting to think about such things.

woliveri Guest

Lao Tsu Quote

o, I'm assuming your refering to this quote below:
    This is a great quote:

Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
    Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
    The ****her you go, the less you know.
    --Lao Tsu

Essentially, if I may, Lao Tsu here is talking meditation at the location of the True Self. Consider the Eye's as Windows and the True Self located behind the Eyes, inside your head. Therefore, as we search for the way to heaven and we look here and look there, we are taken further away from the key which is always with us. That's why the further you go, the less you know. It is Wuji, No yin, No yang.

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
    By Baird T. Spalding

DragonStudios Guest
    Couldn't have said it better myself...

It's my school's motto.

Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
    Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
    The ****her you go, the less you know.

--Lao Tsu

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Blind Man: "A fish saved my life once".
    Cord: "How"
    Blind Man: "I ate him".

Circle of Iron (the movie originally written by Bruce Lee).

Thumbs up

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior is an excellent book. No its not an end all solution but I think its an excellent eye opener.
    Bless you

Cool

Zen and the Art of Motercycle Mantainence!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Greetings..

Some of my favorites...

Deng Ming Dao: Chronicles of Tao; Scholar Warrior; 365 Tao..
    Alan Watts: Tao, The Watercourse Way; The Book; most other books he wrote..
    Mantak Chia: Inner Structure of Tai Chi
    Yang Jwing Ming: Too Many to List..
    Tao Te Ching.. Collect several translations, Jane English is my favorite..
    I Ching: collect several translations.. Taoist I Ching is my favorite..
    Wulf Lowenthal: There Are No Secrets Here; Gateway to the Miraculous..
    Jan Diepersloot: Warriors of Stillness (1 and 2)

Tai Chi, a Path to Wisdom.. i can't remember the author, but good material..

Max Ehrman: Desiderata, a short poem found on many web-sites, a search will yield many sites..

When i get home i'll look at my library, this is just from memory..

Oh, and of course.. Tao of Jeet Kune Do, by Bruce Lee..

Just some of my favorites.. Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Hmmmm

I've got to be honest but eating meals which consistently contain raw uncooked food is not gonna make you a very healthy person, from a Chinese medicine point of view but in fact the very opposite. Eating loads of raw foods will put a strain on the Spleen and stomach to constantly activate energy to bring it all up to the right internal temperature for effective digestion. And if the body doesn't do that then you'll end up getting constant distension and retention of food in the stomach too.

I personally do not agree with strict Vegetarian diets from a health point of view, but do understand them from a spiritual point of view. A great example of this was when His Holiness The Dalai Lama deicded he would recommence eating meat to save his failing health from that of the vegetarian diet's inability to do anything for his health.

Still each to his/her own.

By the way Paul Repps "Zen flesh, Zen bones" is an excellent book and absolutely anything written the hand of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche is as true as you can get.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

This is just weird...

This thread is 2.5 years old. I don't think I've ever seen a thread this old get resurrected.

Anyway, some more inspirational books:

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

Zen Mind, Beginners Mind - Shunryu Suzuki

Already Dead - Denis Johnson
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Hmmm

Please NO Carl Sagan ...please!!!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

It's probably a wise idea for people without a skeptical bone in their body to at least expose themselves to one alternate way of thinking. The Sagan book is a good resource for that. Even if you don't agree with him, sometimes reading something you don't agree with is a good way to organize your thoughts as to what you do and don't believe.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Wow, this is a total bugout because I started this thread-my handle was brucelee2 at the time. Time sure flies, huh? Lotta changes since then. A really good spiritual book I have read recently is called Bringing Heaven Down to Earth.

No Death No Fear
    Thich Naht Hahn

Changed me!
    Bless you

I just got Chi Kung-Way of Power , from the library last night. It looks really cool, I read about half of it so far and am going to start practicing the stuff today.

15. Thumbs up

He,he.Nice shot Dwid.

Sagan is highly recommended reading for any rationally thinking person (or one who might want to learn how to-)
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-