Thread: To R. Clausnitzer re: WC and Boxing...

To R. Clausnitzer re: WC and Boxing...

Hi,

I recall a thread which suggested that you were combining or testing WC methods in boxing type arena. If this is true, I would be interested to hear from you in relation to the aspects of WC which seemed to blend well with boxing and those which didn't.

Thanks in advance,

"From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Hi,

I recall a thread which suggested that you were combining or testing WC methods in boxing type arena. If this is true, I would be interested to hear from you in relation to the aspects of WC which seemed to blend well with boxing and those which didn't.

Thanks in advance,

Hi WWW

This is a difficult question to answer.......to distil the essence of some 4 years of development with my good friend and colleague, Mannie de Matos, founder of Hakarac Boxing.

The practical work, with appropriate modifications to the applications, has been done largely by Mannie and his boxers, with some contribution from a couple of my students.

I have provided mainly the concepts, as I have for decades believed, ever since I first started sparring with Wong Shun Leung sifu and some of his students back in 1964/65, that western boxing and WCK complemented each other and had more similarities than differences.

I shall ponder this question and, if I can find the time, provide some answers.

Regards.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by R Clausnitzer View Post
    I have provided mainly the concepts, as I have for decades believed, ever since I first started sparring with Wong Shun Leung sifu and some of his students back in 1964/65, that western boxing and WCK complemented each other and had more similarities than differences.

For example:

Wing Chun’s “female triangle” or “som-got-mah”, just like boxing (step pivot)…

“Chum Jing” or sinking elbow block, just like boxing (boxing low body catch)…

“Taking Space”, just like boxing…

“Taking Balance”, just like boxing…

“Feet follow the hands”, just like boxing…

Develop a strong body unity, just boxing…

And many more similarities, I’m sure…

Ali Rahim.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 11-29-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Rolf,

I appreciated your response. Perhaps I could rephrase the question to make it easier and ask for your thoughts on any of the following:

What concepts and/or movements from WC (WSL line) lend themselves well to western boxing?

What are the difficulties that a WC man faces when squaring off against a boxer?

I understand WSL was a life long fan of boxing. Did he mention any particular boxers or boxing type movements that he felt were particularly effective?

Kind regards,

"From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/