Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for more exp. grapplers

for more exp. grapplers

1)Do you train with a cup? if so what type? I have recently been finding it very painful to wear a cup for a specific submission. (arm lock from the guard).

2) why stand up vrs hopping when braking someone's guard? Hopping seems allot faster, and I can't figure a reason why you would do it one foot at a time.

3) anyone have knee issues with shooting in for a takedown? I want to get a decent take down for training purposes but when i do practice the penetration step my knee's start acting up.

thoughts and suggestions from Dave or Dale (or anyone with real experience).
    Last edited by monji112000; 11-30-2007 at 02:08 PM.

1. I don't use a cup, but I'm married so I don't really need mine all that bad.

2. When passing guard you have to worry about 1 getting swept, 2 your opponent taking your back, and 3 getting caught in a submission. I always try to have the far side underhook when passing, and my bjj instructor tells us to stop passing if we don't have it. Also, if you pass on leg at a time in the right way it is pretty easy to avoid half guard, using the far knee pass.

3. I don't ever shoot, never. I'm not good at it. I go for judo throws, even in no gi, such as Ouchi Gari. Find what works for you!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    1)Do you train with a cup? if so what type? I have recently been finding it very painful to wear a cup for a specific submission. (arm lock from the guard).

2) why stand up vrs hopping when braking someone's guard? Hopping seems allot faster, and I can't figure a reason why you would do it one foot at a time.

3) anyone have knee issues with shooting in for a takedown? I want to get a decent take down for training purposes but when i do practice the penetration step my knee's start acting up.

I use a cup, mouthpiece, and earguards. Get a cup with some padding.

Different people develop different methods for standing in the guard. I actually prefer the hop up myself.

Try working takedowns from the clinch if shooting in bothers your knees.

I always use a mouthpiece and cup. I use this shock doctor shorts/cup combo most of the time:
    http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22396

1) I use a Doc Shock cup but most times I don't wear it. I have caught a knee a few times but continue to train, I don't need anymore kids.

2) Hopping puts you off balance and if anticipated can lead to an easy sweep for your opponent.

3) I didn't use to but now that I'm holder and all the things I've done are taking their toll I don't do many wrestling shoots anymore. I tend to fall back more on my judo now. If you go to Subfighter.com they have some good training drills for improving your shoot.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Get yourself some good knee pads, they help alot. I have worn one on my lead leg since Jr HS (only while wrestling - not all the time! lol)

Knees act up, its what they do. Nothing for it but to mitigate the discomfort and soldier on. I wouldn't advise not working on your shot because of it. With that kind of thinking, as you get older and more beatup, you'll end up with fewer and fewer things you 'can' do. (hey, maybe that's where the 'no touch qi knock out' stuff came from - ancient sages with bad knees, dislocated shoulders, creaky elbows, and lower back problems who still needed to deal with those pesky bandits that apparently comprised 90% of the population of ancient wherever...)

1. I train with a cup. I'm thinking you might not be getting your hips past the elbow far enough...maybe? Is the cup moving around too much or the wrong size, etc.?

2. Curious to see the answers to this question myself...

3. Conditioning...plyometrics, stretching, etc...
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY View Post
    1. I train with a cup. I'm thinking you might not be getting your hips past the elbow far enough...maybe? Is the cup moving around too much or the wrong size, etc.?

2. Curious to see the answers to this question myself...

3. Conditioning...plyometrics, stretching, etc...
    Well, the arm shouldn't even be reaching the nuts, IMO. You are supposed to squeeze your knees together (like a little girl that has to pee) to create the fulcrum. He just isn't doing the lock right.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 12-01-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Try working takedowns from the clinch if shooting in bothers your knees.
    ok
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia View Post
    2) Hopping puts you off balance and if anticipated can lead to an easy sweep for your opponent.
    I could see that but you should set it up, giving you more of a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Well, the arm shouldn't even be reaching the nuts, IMO. You are supposed to squeeze your knees together (like a little girl that has to pee) to create the fulcrum. He just isn't doing the lock right.
    yah I realized that. I always forget some aspect of a technique. Other situations happen were the cup becomes painful(I don't have much fat on my legs). I was just wondering if any used something other than what use. Guess not.

one other question wtf is up with the turtle? Why? it seems like a horrible position to be in.I would rather stand or roll in direction. Am I missing something?

when doing a spinning Juji (arm lock) from guard, the most common problem is leaving too much space between you and the other person, there should be NO SPACE - this is why ab work and learning to "shrimp" are important, to get your body up and spin around and pop on the lock close and TIGHT
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    when doing a spinning Juji (arm lock) from guard, the most common problem is leaving too much space between you and the other person, there should be NO SPACE - this is why ab work and learning to "shrimp" are important, to get your body up and spin around and pop on the lock close and TIGHT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Q5qJjXMO4

Yah I always forget to squeeze the legs though.

i wear a cup just bc i dont like having to stop if i take an accidental shot to the boys. but when i first started i had the same problem where squeezing my legs together would hurt bc of the cup. so i bought a new one that was a bit narrower and that was more comfortable.

as for the knees. i have constant knee woes as well. years of wreslting, my advice is get reliable knee pads. i use these http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...Grabber-_-null
    and i like them a lot. i was surprised at how much better the quality of knee pads are now comapred to when i was a kid. but yeah i hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Asia View Post

2) Hopping puts you off balance and if anticipated can lead to an easy sweep for your opponent. .
    The advantage to hopping is it prevents the opponent from timing your stand with the second leg and pulling you back down.

I hop straight into a solid base with the head up, knees bent, elbows trapping the opponent's legs... very hard to get swept from there.

one other question wtf is up with the turtle? Why? it seems like a horrible position to be in.I would rather stand or roll in direction. Am I missing something?
    I love the turtle... it is a good goto move when the opponent is passing your guard. There are also many sweeps and submissions from there. Eduardo Telles is a master at using the turtle and has some good instructionals on how to use it in an offensive manner.

In straight grappling, it is also great "rest" position. When striking is involved, using the turtle has to be very active and more of a transition position.

Knifefighter obviously has more experience with wrestling and BJJ, but from my perspective the turtle can be good as a transition to get up for the stand up fighter... if I don't have the best guard, if I am not a real submission guy, the turtule can be a transition to standing up

am I making sense?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....