Thread: Weight Lifting whilst bruised

Weight Lifting whilst bruised

I was sparring hard contact last night and i've got a bruised rib. I can feel it when I do a push up (sharp pain, not excruitiating, but I know it's there!) I was planning to go to the gym later today, just wondering if it's sensible or not?

I'm not a physician but...

If you truly bruised your rib and didn't crack it then you should be ok... just make it a lower body day. If your rib hurts you while holding free weight (like say for a weighted lunge) then you might try sticking with machines for the day.

You might want to press on your rib a little and see if you can isolate the pain to ensure it's coming from a rib instead of your pec. I've pulled a pec before and it is a little different pain than the standard pulled muscle. If you were clinched up or wrestling around any, there's a possibility that you could have pulled it. In that instance... stay away from the gym for a couple weeks and let it heal.

Unless there is a compiling reason to train while injured, don't.
    There is always "tomorrow".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

*sigh* yes dad!

Annoyingly my gym is closed over most of xmas. I was hoping to get one last session in before then, but I guess I'll skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTart View Post
    *sigh* yes dad!

Annoyingly my gym is closed over most of xmas. I was hoping to get one last session in before then, but I guess I'll skip it.
    LOL !
    Take it from someone that has trained, well, tried too, with 3 crack ribs, a borken hand, dislocated finger, after knee surgery and a lot of other really stupid things, just to prove he was "macho and could do it", no one really cares than you did and your body makes you pay for it.
    Training is a life long pursuit, it isn't going anywhere.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !