Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WCK strength, conditioning and nutrition

Training

I was trained under Mike Krivka, RKC. He is a Dan Inosanto student and introduced Dan to Pavel. I use the KB's do pull ups and lots of Ball work.. I use Mar Verstegens Core Performance book. Many of the excercises in their I can use w/ patients who suffer w/ Low back pain. I think a good Core allows me to do my job and keep training at 47. A good core will prevent injuries and help you deliver one mean punch. This along w Sifu Randy's 1064 kicks drill , keeps me kickin

I try to start each day with taiji, qigong (15 years experience before starting wing chun) and a few vinyasa postures. I always end with SNT.

In the afternoons (M, W, F) I usually like to mix things up a bit with a variety of exercises in my home gym that includes whole body routines using smith machine, free weights and pullups followed by several rounds on the heavy and speed bags and ending with wooden dummy practice. On other days (Tues and Thurs) its several minutes of jumping rope followed by lots of pole work then Chum Kiu, Biu Gee and jong practice.

Evenings (M, T and F) if work/time allows, Im at my sifu's place learning and practicing. If I cant make it to class, I practice for at least 2hrs at home. Saturday and Sunday I usually rest unless I get the urge to go running.

Hi guys,

This I hope will give some food for thought:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/57/

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle....ydra?id=731656

Written by Charles Staley, whom I think is one of the greatest authorities on training.

Maybe some of you could use a push to get back to the gym on your off days or supplement your martial arts training.

Best regards,

I've been saying that to people for ages !!

I am a fan of doing something different every workout, within the context of the SAME type of workout.
    I don't agree that, in one week, you should do powerlifting, olympic lifting, bodybuilding AND you MA training ( HIIT or moderate), I think that it would be best to focus on One thing in that given week ( or for a longer period say 2 weeks or 4 weeks) and then focus on somethign else.
    EX:
    Powerlifting for 2 weeks, then olympic for 2 then the "body building" type for 2.
    You can do it for longer periods up to 6weeks, or shorter, 1 week each type, but I think that doing a different type each workout will not let you establish a "consistency" in your training and some sort of consitency is needed.

The problem with many Strength programs is that they are NOT designed as "supplementary training" but as the main focus of a training cycle, when you are working out 6 days a week and at least 3 days of them are ST ( which leaves another 3 days for MA), then its not supplementary training, its training on par with MA.
    And your body will feel it, the more intense the ST the more your body will pay the toll.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think what Charles Staley is saying is that you can vary up your training to keep you interested, motivated and to have fun.

A sample week might be:

Doing deadlifts and presses Monday, then off Tuesday/or your martial arts day, followed by Clean and Jerk and snatches on Wednesday, then Thursday off/your martial arts day, followed by Friday with renegade rows, farmer walks, then Saturday for your martial arts day, followed by Sunday for rest. Then repeat again, and again, and again, and you will get strong with consistency. I do not think he is saying really be a "body builder", "Olympic weightlifter", or "Strongman" - just take things to vary things up and have fun with.

Basically weight training is either pulls or pushes, whole body or isolated. You only need a few exercises. WCK people would do well to do a few good exercises that would strengthen the body. Skills are part of the mix, but conditioning is king.

Basically weight training is either pulls or pushes, whole body or isolated. You only need a few exercises. WCK people would do well to do a few good exercises that would strengthen the body. Skills are part of the mix, but conditioning is king.
    Indeed, now you/we just have to seetle/agree on what TYPE of conditioning

Skills are equally as important as conditioning. If your skills are just so-so and you're greatly conditioned - but you go up against someone who is also in top condition but highly skilled...

you're in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Some say this works wonders.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...ESRC=marine.nl

Personally oh well

PS dont mind the little commercial first

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Hi!

What methods do you employ for strength and conditioning and nutrition? Most people use the forms, drills, Jong, weapons for overall health and they're fine for overall fitness. But what other drills do you do for yourself to improve your performance, shape and health? Also, dim sum is a great treat, and having late night dinners might be the norm after a work out - but may not the best of health for you... perhaps you are gaining unwanted pounds and need to move into a functional, wiry, athletic state. Perhaps your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are up...maybe you're battling diabetes, or have cancer in your family, or even have injuries...

As a licensed practitioner, I do specialize in giving patients health advice, and I would like to see WCK people benefit to be optimal athletes.

For example, I suggest patients take a minimum 10,000 steps a day, do 10 pushups, squats and crunches for every hour they're awake, and may put them on a detox diet with suppplements to overall help their health. Also avoid sugars and junk food snacks, and the pounds start shedding.

For my athletes, we do KB lifts, boot camp training, and all sorts of exercises to supplement WCK - but of course, WCK needs no supplement - the pole and knives can be good weight training in themselves, and Chi Sao can be good dynamic weight training...

We are more apt to run into health issues than ever use WCK for fighting - but if we use WCK as a vehicle to help people stay healthy and fight disease, we all win. I'd like to hear from you! We can have this as a great discussion for all WCK people, no lineage issues here.

best regards,

When time allows, I do some chi kung in the mornings and in the evenings, just before going to bed and just after a 20 minute minimum on a single Siu Lim Tao session.

Whenever possible I do the chin ups, using various hand positions and other resistance training as well as plenty of leg raises on the ground.

I do regular iron palm training, as in hitting the sand bucket in a wide horse stance, combined with the special breathing required for this excersise. I also do the sand bag practice and practice the Chum Kiu regularly.

Generally speaking, I use the stairs wherever I go and incorporate stretching in my daily activities. Combined with my current kung fu training in a great kwoon (however, not Wing Chun), this regime provides me with good results.

With more spare time I would expand on these exercises, but that is in the (near) future.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 12-08-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yup, A few good exercises like:

Deadlifts, Presses, Sumo Squats, regular squats, clean and jerk would be great with the barbell, dumbbell, or kettlebell.

These all strengthen the core and make use of the legs, and have an explosive requirement.

I might recommend KB swings for low bak and hip problems.

My student, Dave McKinnon wrote an article in IKF on strengthening punches.

For WCK, I highly recommend the Pelvic Bridge, held statically for 6 breaths.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Skills are equally as important as conditioning. If your skills are just so-so and you're greatly conditioned - but you go up against someone who is also in top condition but highly skilled...

you're in trouble.
    Hi Vic,

That's obvious, and I agree.

And also if the highly skilled is out of condition, he could lose against the greatly conditioned with mediocre skills. It all depends.

I would suggest the new starting WCK people who are out of shape that conditioning should be a priority for them while developing basic skills. They should concentrate on developing "gung".

Good discussion.

Agreed, Robert.

Every class I've ever taught all these years has started with 25-30 minutes of nothing but stretching, strenghtening, conditioning, cardio exercises, etc. It's an absolute must - and especially so for wing chun practitioners. For some reason this aspect of martial art training has been downplayed within many wing chun circles.

Don't really know why. Probably having something to do with the mistaken and somewhat arrogant notion entertained by some that since wing chun principles, strategies, and techniques - when truly understood and worked - can be very advanced in the overall scheme of things...and therefore conditioning and strenghtening is not that important.

But that's not the way to go, as far as I see it.

Strengthening and conditioning is of the utmost importance - along with high level skills.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 12-09-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    For some reason this aspect of martial art training has been downplayed within many wing chun circles. Don't really know why.
    ---I can give you one big reason why. For some, they have limited time to train and practice their WCK and they want to optimize their time with their teacher and fellow students. They can do conditioning on their own or at the local health club. Why waste precious WCK training time on sit ups? But for others, they may not want to go to a health club and don't have the discipline to do conditioning consistently on their own. So they join a martial arts class as their way to get exercise. I can see both perspectives. I tend to be the type that says...if I only have two days a week to work with my sifu, and I drove an hour and a half to get here...don't spend my time in class doing conditioning....teach me WCK! I'll do my conditioning on the nights I don't come to WCK class!

Sometimes people confuse training with practising.

Strength and conditioning are part of training, not practising.

"Strength and conditioning are part of training, not practising." (sanjuro)

***YEP. THAT'S IT.