Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WCK strength, conditioning and nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by mad101dan View Post
    But the principle is the same.

Good luck for Sunday guys.
    Totally different structure = totally different result...

Paul is correct, Sanchin is much more stable front to back... It all has to do with alignment of the legs and feet..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Any clips of this "Stance testing"?

You can't get the reality of it via a picture....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Totally different structure = totally different result...

Paul is correct, Sanchin is much more stable front to back... It all has to do with alignment of the legs and feet..
    And the tension in the ass, never forget the ass tension !!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And the tension in the ass, never forget the ass tension !!
    Yes I understand it tends to keep out the undesirables..
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Jim and others,

Have you actually tried Structure Test # 1?

What is the result?

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Jim and others,

Have you actually tried Structure Test # 1?

What is the result?
    The same result anyone would have when the other person who is aligned presses into the weak line of a square stance, no matter how well connected and sprung.

Force is redirected into the ground to a point--and then you have to take a step back--or better yet re-align into a stronger position, like Bik....

Which is stronger than YJKYM front to back--the laws of physics, etc, etc....

YJKYM is not indended to be a bull charge lean, it is intended to be a strong and sprung, yet an unstable/flexible position that can change into even stronger positions--WCK uses small flanks more often than not--do you? WCK is supposed to be highly mobile is yours? Pulling the opponent in is just as valid as moving them back--yin/yang , but what do we see?

At it's core YJKYM contains two halves of the base of all other stances.. Any square stance or any stance has a weak angle!!!! The weak angle of any bi-ped stance is clearly understood to be found by drawing a line between the feet, finding the center of that line and then drawing another line perpendicular to the first line--that is the weak angle.. The WEAK angle of YJKYM is the angle you are "testing" by supposedly applying "200+ pounds" pressing on someone's chest half that weight...

But prove me wrong let's see the light weights redirecting 200 pounds of force without moving their feet from a square YJKYM stance.....

Should be very easy to show/measure, etc...
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-12-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

"This was one of my students, who is a very tough guy. He has won many MMA fights. Pound for pound he is one of the strongest guys I know. But you can see I am not allowing him to use his power." (Alan)

***First of all, Alan...whenever I watch a vid of an instructional, a sparring match, chi sao, etc. - I always make it my business to watch very carefully what THE OTHER GUY is doing. Not the guy who is being "featured" in the demo/match - but the guy he's working against. (Then I go back and watch what the "featured" guy does in a second viewing).

I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THIS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST INDICATORS OF THE QUALITY (OR LACK THEREOF) OF THE MOVES BEING USED BY THE MAN BEING FEATURED.

And the guy in that chi sao video with you tries to do basically NOTHING - either offensively or defensively. And that's a fact.

So I've got to tell you in all honesty that I take with a big grain of salt your boast about "not allowing him to use his power."
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 12-12-2007 at 10:31 AM.

more pointless chat....same thing happened on another forum.

This isnt something you can pick up over the net, and most people can't be bothered to go check it out first hand because they're 'happy with what they've got' or 'seen it all before' or 'worried it might put years of training in the bin' etc.
    Either check it out or dont.(IMO you should) Asking people for internet proof of what i ,and many other people, know for a fact works very well thank you, from first hand experience, is not getting anyone anywhere. And neither does uninformed smugness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_chi_sau View Post
    more pointless chat....same thing happened on another forum.

This isnt something you can pick up over the net, and most people can't be bothered to go check it out first hand because they're 'happy with what they've got' or 'seen it all before' or 'worried it might put years of training in the bin' etc.
    Either check it out or dont.(IMO you should) Asking people for internet proof of what i ,and many other people, know for a fact works very well thank you, from first hand experience, is not getting anyone anywhere. And neither does uninformed smugness.
    You know, the advice of "go check it out" is fine if you are talking about TKD or Judo, where there is at least one school in every city, not the case here is it?

You know, the advice of "go check it out" is fine if you are talking about TKD or Judo, where there is at least one school in every city, not the case here is it?
    I drive two and a bit hours each way, for three hours with alan...thats more time in the car than in the gym. Alan goes from york,uk to los angeles to see robert. Its all relative. Now i'm not saying you should leave work right this instant, but people travel, there are seminars etc. hopefully you aren't going to die tomorrow, there'll be chances to check stuff out in future without unreasonable hassle.

I've already invited Alan and his guys to visit Keith Mazza'a school of TWC in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey...the next time Alan visits Philadelphia (which is only 20 minutes away from Mt. Laurel). Keith is very receptive to the idea, btw.

I'll be there with some of my guys, obviously the same for Keith and his guys, and Phil Redmond as well - since he now teaches at Keith's school.

And then we can all compare notes.

In the meantime - let me repeat once again (as I mentioned this some time ago on another thread) - I have in my possession a number of Alan's instructional vids - as well as some of the vids of he and his guys training and competing in various venues.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 12-12-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_chi_sau View Post
    I drive two and a bit hours each way, for three hours with alan...thats more time in the car than in the gym. Alan goes from york,uk to los angeles to see robert. Its all relative. Now i'm not saying you should leave work right this instant, but people travel, there are seminars etc. hopefully you aren't going to die tomorrow, there'll be chances to check stuff out in future without unreasonable hassle.
    In this specific case, I would be FLYING 3000 miles...

In this specific case, I would be FLYING 3000 miles...
    Marty Goldberg in Milwaukee, Wisconsin is a lot closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Marty Goldberg in Milwaukee, Wisconsin is a lot closer to you.
    I'd rather fly 3000 miles

Just kidding !
    Go Packers !

I'll make note of that, in the mean while is there a specific reason why something like this can't be posted ?

There is no reason why video of the structure tests can't be posted. Just that it probably still wouldn't convince people. However, it would be better than photos. It would show that it is a dynamic process of re-directing force down from your torso through your stance and into the ground.