Thread: Black tiger forms

Blog Entries

Black tiger forms

Can someone give me the English translations of the four empty hand black tiger forms in Fu Jow Pai?

http://www.kwanskungfustudio.com/ind...&id=26&catid=6

“As for forms, when we teach Fu Jow Pai there are actually 4 sects of it. 3 of which are not true Fu Jow forms. They are instead Hung Gar, Mah Jong Gai forms (pardon for spelling), and Tai Chi. As for tiger forms there are a total of 11 different forms. 2 Hung Gar forms, 4 mah jong gai forms and 2 Tai Chi forms. There are 10 basic stance forms and a very basic reverse punch form which was made to help beginners get a basic feel of what a form is. "

as a side note: I was told that the Fujow/Black Tiger style is a Fukien System. And the sets are very short (comparable to San Chien, White Crane, 5 Ancestor Style).

fu jow pai = tiger claw clan

it was derived from hung ga and hark fu muhn but is not just black tiger alone.
    It is a developed system of kungfu attributed to Wai Hong.

there are other styles of black tiger as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Not according to their websites.

2 hung ga sets (probably a version of gung Ji Fook Fu and Tiger Crane

4 Mizong Or mizonglohan - a Northern style (i've only see their Lohan set)

and these 10/11 Black Tiger sets/sequences.

Yes there are many Black Tiger sets/styles out there so with the mystery of the Monk thing we'll never know.

Has anybody learned them fro Sifu Ng/Eng who is mostly known for his Mantis?

I presume all 3, Sifu Paul? Ng, Tak Wah Ng and Wai Hong Ng are related?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    fu jow pai = tiger claw clan

it was derived from hung ga and hark fu muhn but is not just black tiger alone.
    It is a developed system of kungfu attributed to Wai Hong.

there are other styles of black tiger as well.
    i thought it was atributed to wong moon toi? i could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i thought it was atributed to wong moon toi? i could be wrong
    not completely. according to their own info it was wai hong who created the fu jow pai system.

wong moon toi is his teacher.

anyway, teh black tiger systems are many as far i have known so far there is:

Toisan Hak Fu Pai
    Wong Cheung's Sil Lum Black Tiger
    Shantung Black Tiger (which looks a lot like basic sil lum from the one book about it)
    Shaolin Black Tiger (heihuquan) which is a recent creation of teh modern shaolin temple.
    Gansu Black Tiger (just try and find info about this one, it is difficult at best)
    Fu Jow Pai's Black Tiger

and tere are likely more.
    I am wondering what the criteria is to name a system "black tiger" because each of these styles, besides those sil lum ties are markedly different and in huge ways as well. Like stylistic differences are through the roof.

anyway, im lucky enough to have been exposed to two of these styles. black tiger is good kungfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I can see a system being called "white tiger" or tiger or even "yellow tiger", but "black tiger" ?
    Isn't that a panther? know what I mean?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can see a system being called "white tiger" or tiger or even "yellow tiger", but "black tiger" ?
    Isn't that a panther? know what I mean?
    A black tiger is a rare color variant of the tiger and is not a distinct species or geographic race. There are unconfirmed reports and one painting (now lost) of pure black non-striped tigers (true melanistic tigers), but no physical evidence. Most black mammals are due to the non-agouti mutation. Agouti refers to the ticking of each individual hair. In certain light, the pattern still shows up because the background color is less dense than the color of the markings.

So-called black tigers are due to pseudo-melanism. Pseudo-melanistic tigers have thick stripes so close together that the tawny background is barely visible between stripes. Such tigers are said to be getting more common due to inbreeding. They are also said to be smaller than normal tigers, perhaps also due to inbreeding or because large black leopards are misidentified as black tigers. A discussion of black tigers was presented by British cryptozoologist Dr Karl Shuker in his book Mystery Cats of the World[1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tiger_(animal)

Maybe it's sort of like the White Buffalo? Mystic because it's so rare?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    A black tiger is a rare color variant of the tiger and is not a distinct species or geographic race. There are unconfirmed reports and one painting (now lost) of pure black non-striped tigers (true melanistic tigers), but no physical evidence. Most black mammals are due to the non-agouti mutation. Agouti refers to the ticking of each individual hair. In certain light, the pattern still shows up because the background color is less dense than the color of the markings.

So-called black tigers are due to pseudo-melanism. Pseudo-melanistic tigers have thick stripes so close together that the tawny background is barely visible between stripes. Such tigers are said to be getting more common due to inbreeding. They are also said to be smaller than normal tigers, perhaps also due to inbreeding or because large black leopards are misidentified as black tigers. A discussion of black tigers was presented by British cryptozoologist Dr Karl Shuker in his book Mystery Cats of the World[1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tiger_(animal)

Maybe it's sort of like the White Buffalo? Mystic because it's so rare?
    Awesome, did not know that !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I asked an HK born Sifu about a "WHite" Tiger system, or "White" animals in general. I didn't get a deep answer, but was told that "White Tiger" doesn't make much sense by the ideals/religious beleifs/traditions of most TCMA, that it carried bad connotations and symbolism. Anyone hear of or know about such things?

yes.

white is the colour of death/ghosts/funerals in old school traditional chinese ways ergo white is not considered so much a good thing in context to that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

In Shaolin Do ....

there are 4 Shaolin Shandong Black Tiger forms taught so far: He Hu Tao Sin (Black Tiger Yanks The Heart ) He Hu Chuan Sen ( Black Tiger Turns the Body) He Hu Huan Sen (Black Tiger Flips the Body ) He Hu Shou Sang ( BLack Tiger Wounded). These are full and complete forms. Very Awesome.

I asked an HK born Sifu about a "WHite" Tiger system, or "White" animals in general. I didn't get a deep answer, but was told that "White Tiger" doesn't make much sense by the ideals/religious beleifs/traditions of most TCMA, that it carried bad connotations and symbolism. Anyone hear of or know about such things?
    Other than the U.S. kempo and Doo Wai systems, the only other place I've seen "white tiger" being used in regards to martial arts so far is a "white tiger short stick" routine advertised on plumpub. It's part of the Qing Cheng vcd series with the guy in the yin-yang outfit.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd/coll_qingcheng.htm

Blog Entries
    I've learned the black tigers in Sd, and I agree they are very nice. When I was on one the fujowpai sites they listed black tiger I-IV in their curriculum from hark fu moon. I was just wondering if these were the same four forms?