Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Babu Tanglang vs. QiXing Tanglang

Babu Tanglang vs. QiXing Tanglang

I'm sure this topic has been discussed and debated before, but I need some advice. I'm lucky enough to have both 7 star and 8 step available in my area. Could someone please explain the differences between the two styles?

Please forgive me if I'm posting a topic that has been discussed at nausea.

whats better a chevy or a ford? depends on the service from the dealership after you buy the car...... the same can be answered to your question.. its the teacher and the benifiets of his kwoon to you, nothing else. Style doesnt matter.

You can have a life changing experience learning self-defense from the YMCA if that techer can convey something to you that makes you understand it correclty just depnds on what the teacher can teach you..... hope this helps, sometimes it takes people a while to understand this.....
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

What ED said. The teacher is the key. Hell, if I met a killer TKD teacher I would learn under him.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, well put ED.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

thank you jake and Oso. every so often I come up with worth while responses..
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

He asked what are the differences
    NOT
    which is better.

And the difference is in the teacher Ngokie. I think we all answered properly. Overall very few differences. Mantis is Mantis for the most part. Martial Arts are Martial Arts.

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

3 Homies

Yeah, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    3 Homies

Yeah, okay.
    good grief, man. what's with the attitude?

to a newbie, it just doesn't matter what the difference, if any, there is between two styles.

certainly any opinion he recieves from an online forum isn't necessarily going to be true or fit with what he himself wants to think about a style.

even if, say, the style of movement of 7* appealed to him more than that of 8 step if the teacher of the 7* is crap then it won't matter that he likes what he sees more.

the teachers teaching style* and ability and the vibe from the school and it's students matter far more than any style does.

*edit: to clarify: the teacher's style of teaching
    Last edited by Oso; 12-08-2007 at 08:03 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Par for the course Oso
    I am in line with pretty much everything Oso stated, so no need to repeat.
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

ummm...

sorry kids, i'm with ngokfei...the question isn't being addressed directly. if they were the same, they wouldn't have different names....let's say the same teacher teaches both 7star and 8step....stylistically speaking, what are the fundamental differences between 7 star and 8 step mantis?

neil

proper reply?

I do think the teacher is key as was discussed by my esteemed colleagues

However, i was taught that the size of the person is important if you have a Shifu that is lucky enough to know both.

For example, your newly aquired master has several different versions of NPM and you are tall and long limbed than 8 step which engages larger moves of the body and extended range larger circles or spheres of influence etc is the one for you. Seven star is much tighter and very well suited to the smaller fighter to help alleiviate the size differential in combat.

Of course everyone will disagree as normal. However, i must assert that my source is very credible.

Nonetheless, the teacher trumps all pic the best teacher, a good teacher will assess the situation from all angles.

I have myself contradicted the above size rule in order to remedy a students weakness. For example, if you have a large guy that is slower or tight from strength training, seven star really helps him gain speed do to the smaller closer hand movements and vice versa if a guy is fast with no power (and you do not have baji) than the logical help would be in the large power strikes of ba bu tang lang.

Ba bu uses "club head speed" theory in power generation and benefits with the longer club (arm, leg) seven star inserts strikes from 45 degree angles or anyplace that is open and applies most of them to soft targets and relies on propulsion based power as opposed to "club head"

I think it was an acceptable question.

I agree that good fighting is good fighting....as long as the stand up..ground fighting etc...are covered.

I dont think that all martial arts teaches good fighting. So, I dont agree martial arts is martial ats or mantis is mantis.

Sifu Robert Hui taught me a good lesson a few years back. He asked me "what story does your style or particular school try to tell"? (talking about fighting)

That made me think about what I was doing with my curriculum and make some changes.

I think alot of guys just have alot of forms...drills and self defense stuff that they learned and havnt really thought it out for themselves. If they did think for themselves many of the styles that arnt good fighting styles could be.

On the other hand, thinking for yourself is great....but if basic concept is not passed down from the previous masters the styles are doomed to be reinvented every generation wht the only link to the past being the empty forms..

BJJ has its own theory and strategies...its story to tell. Even the good Tae Kwon Do instructors can tell you what their stratagy would be.

Why shouldnt there be a different methods or systemized approach to combat between seven star and 8 step?

A person who teaches three different styles should be able to give you the breakdown of how the styles are different and why they are taught. If not you are wasting your time.

A good example of telling your story would be the cck mantis 64 sau fa. They cover what the style feels needs to be covered and every sau fa has a counter...it all goes together very well to get thier fighting method across.

i'm sticking with my response...if either of them cover all the aspects of CMA: kicking, punching, throwing and locking...then the stylistic difference between 7* and 8 Step is irrelevent to a newbie and he should just go check them out to see which school and teacher appeal to him more. Finding a good teacher running a good school is far more important than finding a particular style...especially on the recommendation of a bunch of idiots on a net forum.

Ditto Oso!
    I have trained with multiple teachers in the same style, and I am here to tell anyone that the teacher IS the difference. Mantis is Mantis. They are share the same principles and foundation. Too much emphasis is put on styles, and stylistic differences. Hell we have not even found out if it is HK 7 Star or Mainland 7 Star homeboy is talking about, so how can anyone comment on the differences??? Go with the teacher who works best for you.

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com