Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs Hatton

Mayweather vs Hatton

Who's do you think's gonna win, and will it be an exciting fight?

I've never seen Hatton fight, nor do I know his background. But Mayweather is such an arrogant a$$ that I would want him to get beat badly.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I feel pretty much the same. I am pulling for Hatton, more on his demeanor and groundedness (word?) than anything else.

I think Mayweather's attitude is bordering on completely obnoxious.

But the fact is no one has been able to shut him up, and in all fairness, his fight record is more impressive than Hatton's.

Hatton has beaton Pendleton, Tzyu (sp?), Maussa, Castillo, and a few other notables. The biggest name that jumps out is Costya Tzyu, who many say, at one time dominated the entire division.

Mayweather, on the otherhand, has wins over Angel Manfreddy, Castillo (2 times), Sharmba Mitchell, Zab Judah, Demarcus Corley, Carlos Baldomir, the late Diego Corrales, and most recently Oscar De La Hoya.

The calibre in opponents is apparent. Just the same, I don't think Mayweather listens to his trainers as much any more, but in his defense, has not really slacked on training and keeps his fight weight year-around, and I was really surpised that he got Baldomir as a sparring partner.

I really like Hattons trainer, and Hatton still listens to his corner during fights. I think his corner is smart enought to tell Hatton the right things to change mid-fight to keep it competetive and hopefully then some.

Anyhoo, I'm one of those people that gets their hopes up on all the big fights, and buys into the hype. The past several years, minus a few gems, have been huge let-downs. Hopefully this one will be better. Although, I'll be stuck at an office Christmas party, hoping the lobby bar might have in on or something.

Mayweather got kicked off "dancing with the stars" the big ***** !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hatton all the way!
    Jack Dempsey: "What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?

It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.

Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile when its bodyweight is set into fast motion."

To beat Floyd you have to put him on the ropes and pressure him. No one has done that enough to beat him.

To beat Hatton you have to hit him coming in and keep him from beating you on the inside. No one has done that enough to beat him.

Should be a fight with a good contrast of styles. I'm pulling for Hatton myself. I will say if Floyd wins, it will have been a boring fight. If Hatton wins it will have been a good fight. I also think Floyd cannot win by KO, if he wins it will be by decision.

Bernard Hopkins' pre-fight analysis sums it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins
    lthough Mayweather's five belts have earned him the status of favourite, Hopkins is convinced that his fellow countryman will have difficulty coping with Hatton's relentless aggression. "I've been watching Ricky Hatton for a long time and I've never seen him get tired," he said. "I don't think I've seen any of Floyd's fights where he had rapid punches with some sting in them coming in from all angles, top to bottom, and with energy levels lasting from the first to the 12th round.

"I believe the Mayweather style won't work on Hatton like it worked on many fighters. When a guy is throwing punches at intervals, you can time your punches in between theirs. But when the punches are being thrown in rapid fire it's hard to time them properly. That's how Ricky Hatton is throwing punches and it's hard to get between them because he's not stopping."
    A lot of people don't agree I know, but although Hatton'll probably have to fight the best he's ever done in his life, he might be able to take him.

If Hatton gets cuts tho, he's in trouble... and if it goes the distance it may well go to Mayweather. I also read Hatton was worried about Cortez, cos although he has a rep for being dirty, he's really hoping the ref lets him run with the inside game rather than breaking them up too soon. Cortez is prob the best though, so he should let it go.

Don't really know what everyone's prob with Mayweather's attitude is: he's no worse than Eubanks, Tyson, Hameed or even Ali in terms of self-aggrandizement. Boxing's no stranger to that kind of self-promotion eh? And in terms of this stand-off, Hatton's come out with as much ridiculous crap as Mayweather once Mayweather realized he was sounding stupid saying Hatton wasn't worthy of being in the same ring as him, and I actually thought Mayweathers defence of his wealth and lifestyle were very reasonable.

Should be a great fight: can't find anywhere to ****ing watch it over here though...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Mayweather/Hatton

Both are great fighters and anything can happen in such a match. For me-it can't be boring-because some so callled boring matches between great fighters can show a lot of technical details and skills.

Of course Hatton can punch but slight weight gains or losses can affect boxing punching power.
    Mayweather has punching power too..when he is flat footed which is seldom. But he knocked out Corrales who was one tough cookie.

If Mayweather's forward jab and timing is working well he could have the edge.If Hatton catches Mayweather with combinations on the ropes he could have an edge. ...though Mayweather uses his shoulders for defense magnificently. Mayweather has had trouble with his hands. And Hatton can be cut. Lots of variables.Should be a classic.

Both are well conditioned fighters and a tribute to boxing and their countries. Trash talk? What do you expect-a Noel Coward/Michael Caine dinner conversation?

joy chaudhuri

Wow-what a great fight.

Mayweather knocked out Hatton.

joy chaudhuri

Hatton had the will but lacked of technique..all he did was storming in and to hug Mayfeather..not enough to beat him. Hatton has the heart in the right place but the tactic to nullify Mayweathers striking didnt work out..the last few rounds looked like Mayfeather only played with Hatton and punished him..then in round 10 he knocked him out cold. The fight looked like a brawl in a pub at times ..

Well, looks like me and Hopkins were wrong. Hatton seemed to be hopelessly outclassed in the end.

Fair play to Mayweather: outboxed him and outclassed him in magnanimity at the end too. What a champion.

As for the English twats booing the US national anthem and generally being a bunch of classless ****s - I wish they'd just **** off I really do.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Oh, and Calzaghe'll still take Hopkins, Wright and any of em!

for a second I thought Im watching a football match from England..just by the sound that came frome the british fans

Quite a fight

Hatton did well. Just that Mayweather was up on another level. Hatton trained to and did to some extent cut off Mayweather's mobility. But Mayweather is indeed one of the greats.
    He can, as he has said many times that he can, adjust to the needs of the moment...fight outside, inside, close or far and both his hands were good.

A champ can reach deep into his toolbox when and as needed at the moment. Hatton was also in superb condition but his tool box was limited....compared to that of Mayweather.

Sometimes the left jab, then some surprise quick lead rights, uppercuts and of course the hooks...
    a complete aresenal. Superb power can come from timing...the short left hook that started Hatton's downward plunge was a good example. Not much muscle needed with 12" biceps.

The core of the Brits in the audience showed poor taste...booing during the singing of the Star Spangled banner. Thank heavens I dont have to sing God Save the King again as I used to be compelled to-once upon a time...((pre Queen)).

All in all a great sporting event.

joy chaudhuri

It was good fight. It was a shame the 3 judges decided not to actually watch it. When they showed how the judges had scored it up to the KO I was stunned.