Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "You'll break your hand!"

"You'll break your hand!"

First off, I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but it's been driving me nuts. I've heard countless times that punching with a conventional horizontal fist in "Da Street" is a big no-no as you'll more likely than not end up hitting a bony area and fracturing your hand (hence the photo of Tyson in bandages after his famous streetfight). To remedy this, the RBSD gurus recommend only hitting with a vertical fist or a palm to avoid such injuries.

My question is, for those of you who train Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA and other arts that favor traditional punching, how do you modify your jabs, hooks, uppercuts etc for use without gloves?
    Last edited by D-FENS; 12-06-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

I never thought of it that way. I hit however is best for maximum connection from the angle I am striking from.

Here's a good article that illustrates the concept...

http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/openHand.php
    GOD BLESS THE WORKING STIFF!!!

The reason that Mike broke his hand is because he was punching with the last two knuckles instead of the first two knuckles. Plus he was hitting the guy in the face/ head which has very hard bones compared to the ones in the hand, especially the last two( pinky and ring). For the most part boxers hit more with the round large surface of the glove and rely more on brute strength rather than the precision accuracy of the first two knuckles. The structure of the hand is not designed for this type of hitting that is why it is recommnended by many styles to use the palm . Plus it is hard to identify if you get busted by the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    First off, I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but it's been driving me nuts. I've heard countless times that punching with a conventional horizontal fist in "Da Street" is a big no-no as you'll more likely than not end up hitting a bony area and fracturing your hand (hence the photo of Tyson in bandages after his famous streetfight). To remedy this, the RBSD gurus recommend only hitting with a vertical fist or a palm to avoid such injuries.

My question is, for those of you who train Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA and other arts that favor traditional punching, how do you modify your jabs, hooks, uppercuts etc for use without gloves?
    I'v seen people advocate both and back it .. so for me its personal preference. A bigger issue is the wrist giving way.

I hit every way imaginable with never a problem.

The angle, and delivery position determine the type of hand shape. If I am hitting lower, like the waist fold just above the groin, I may use a horizontal fist. For a chest shot it might be a vertical fist or even a palm if the angle is superior for that.

Head shots might be horizontal fist from a hook, or even upside down to let the arm arch around thier guard. If I am off to the side a bit, a hard heavy palm to the side of the head with mechanics like an ape hitting an Iron palm bag might be the order of the day.

It's really whatever you need at the moment.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 12-06-2007 at 02:55 PM.

For me the important thing is to not lock you arm. I always try to keep a 9 degree bend in my elbow. This is because whenever you're hitting someone you push all that force in their body and they begin moving away, but then the force to keep them in place comes into play and moves them back towards your fist, if your arm is locked all the force will be focuses on your hand and joints, but if it's not locked it will bend under the force and let is disperse much softer throughout your arm.

That and you still have room to drive forward too. If you hit already fully locked your range of motion is already spent.

After the first few NHB events, palms came back in in a big way, until the gloves were introduced. I think two fighters in UFC 1 broke their hands.
    Funnily enough we were discussing this tonight, and one of my students recounted how he had once been in a fight and knocked the guy out, only to spend 6 weeks in plaster himself.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

If you are a puncher and wanna punch bare handed and not break your hand it must be conditioned to hit that way.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I always use a "palm-in" hook instead of a "palm-down" hook.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I always use a "palm-in" hook instead of a "palm-down" hook.
    The "palm-down" hook was orginally designed for "hooking" into the kidneys and ribs in a "different" fashion than the palm-in hook, its not a case of one OR the other.

See, that's interesting, I always favour a palm in hook to the body and a palm down hook to the head. I've got pretty slim wrists, and I find the other way they get hurt a lot (I also find I get better body alignment on the headshots).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    See, that's interesting, I always favour a palm in hook to the body and a palm down hook to the head. I've got pretty slim wrists, and I find the other way they get hurt a lot (I also find I get better body alignment on the headshots).
    Natural preference will usually dictate how we do things, if it feels better to do something a certain way, go with it.
    As long as the hand is condtioned to hit they way you prefer, that is all the matters really.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The "palm-down" hook was orginally designed for "hooking" into the kidneys and ribs in a "different" fashion than the palm-in hook, its not a case of one OR the other.
    I thought we were discussing head shots.