Thread: Bak Hsing Seminar Winnipeg

Bak Hsing Seminar Winnipeg

Bak Hsing Choy Lay Fut Workshop

Sponsored By: The RedMantis Kung Fu Association
    Date: February 16th, 2008.
    Start Time: 1:00-4:00 pm.

Level: Open. (All levels welcome.) 2nd Floor, 180 King Street

Seen & Unseen: the Form and Function of Combat in Bak Hsing Choy Lay Fut
    The workshop will examine the "reading" of forms and their application. Samples will be given of sections from the Bak Hsing syllabus. Illustrations will be provided of highly effective fighting applications and combinations from those forms. The focus will be on training "compound drills," three and four movement sections where applications will be transmitted utilizing partner drills & solo practice. The Sup Tse Jeen Kuen [“small cross fist”] fighting set will be used as the main source of examples for the seminar. This is the primary fighting set coming from the school of late Grand Master Tam Fei Pang, son of the legendary founder of Bak Hsing Choy Lay Fut, Sijo Tam Sam. Known as "The Champion of the South", Grandmaster Tam Sam was one of the famous 10 Tigers of Canton, China. This is an open workshop: practitioners of all levels and disciplines are very welcome.

Instructor: Sihing Robert James
    • Holds the rank of Black Belt Instructor and is a closed door, 5th generation disciple of Master Henry Suen Wai in the fighting art of Bak Hsing Choy Lay Fut.
    • Holds a black belt from Master Suen in the Northern Shao-lin or Bak Sil Lum style.
    • Has been authorized by Master Suen to teach the system and to take on full-time students.
    • Specializes in traditional Chinese forms and applications
    • Is currently completing his honours thesis, in Regina, on classical Chinese Buddhist philosophy from the T'ang Dynasty.
    • Has competed and won at local, national, and international levels in Black Belt forms and fighting, and is the current light weight Wong Fei Hung North Eastern All Kung Fu Sparring Champion.
    • Has also trained in Chen & Yang Taiji, contemporary Wushu, Hung Gar, Praying Mantis, Tibetan White Crane, and Qi Gung.
    FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO REGISTER IN ADVANCE: PLEASE CALL 204-770-7395 or email: kungfu@redmantis.ca COST: $10 advance, $20 at the door.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Hey buddy,

I'll be there with a training partner. Been looking forward to this and hopefully you're healthy to get some hardcore training going!
    A unique snowflake

Not to side track this thread but what does "jeen" translate to in Sup Gee Jeen Kuen. Sup Gee would refer to "cross" as it mean the character 10 which is the cross symbol. Is it Jeet as "to intercept"? If so it could transalte to Intercepting Cross Fist or something like that.

Just curious.

It's Jin, or linked.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Not sure how it translates literally, but Jeen kuen means fighting set (in terms of how my sifu uses the word) So Jeen means fighting I guess. Again this is how the term is used in our school, I personally speak Cantonese like an 5 year old so no literal translations here.

We have three jeen kuen sets one from lun jee and two from tam fei pang, the other GM fei Pang set is Lien Whan jeen Kuen. Again, the Jeen Kuen sets are shorter and faster moving and use modified fighting stances that stand much higher than a trad. bow stance.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Hey buddy,

I'll be there with a training partner. Been looking forward to this and hopefully you're healthy to get some hardcore training going!
    See you tommorow man, I'll call you after your done work
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

Evening training sounds good!

PM me your cell and I'll just call you when I get off so I don't bother going home. Are you staying with Josh?
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Not to side track this thread but what does "jeen" translate to in Sup Gee Jeen Kuen. Sup Gee would refer to "cross" as it mean the character 10 which is the cross symbol. Is it Jeet as "to intercept"? If so it could transalte to Intercepting Cross Fist or something like that.

Just curious.
    Jeen Kune

Combat/Fighting Set/Form

Thanks for the clarification.

The seminar was a great success!

Rob shared a variety of techniques and partner drills aimed at attack and counter. Explained the drills and their applications, and variations of such, with great detail and precision.

We finally got together and crossed hands which was great (aside from the requisite internal bruising to our brains!) and compared techniques and training ideas.
    A unique snowflake