Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions anyone?

Suggestions anyone?

I'm looking for a MA that I can practice long into old age. I have my Brown belt in Judo and have boxed as an Ametuer. I love both sports but injuries are stopping my training. I'm almost 40 and would like to find an art that is still defense practical and I could dedicate too for the rest of my life. I'm waiting on a wing chun 1st form DVD (that a friend suggested) I ordered it after realizing the shaolin 7 star praying mantis DVD I thought I'd learn wasnt going to happen. Dude was flying all over in it. I havent seen much wing chun but what I have seen seems more practical. Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind

1. I'm old
    2. I'm 6'2"@170lbs
    3. I'm not much of a kicker
    4. No schools in area ( I live on the moon)

Thank's

sounds like Wing Chun is what you're looking for...your boxing and judo background should help keep it practical...
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    do you have a back injury?

imo, judo or jujitsu of any variety could be practiced into old age. not at a competative level maybe but well enough to still be usable for self defense if needed.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'd try Parkour. I think you'll find that it'll come in handy. It'll get you into the shape you were in when you were younger, and it'll teach you how to roll and flip out of nasty falls that might threaten to break your hip when you get older.

How is it that TAI CHI was not the first answer to this question?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Why is this in the MMA forum?

My advice

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    I'm looking for a MA that I can practice long into old age. I have my Brown belt in Judo and have boxed as an Ametuer. I love both sports but injuries are stopping my training. I'm almost 40 and would like to find an art that is still defense practical and I could dedicate too for the rest of my life.
    I think you should try out different things and see what suits you best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    I'm waiting on a wing chun 1st form DVD (that a friend suggested) I ordered it after realizing the shaolin 7 star praying mantis DVD I thought I'd learn wasnt going to happen. Dude was flying all over in it. I havent seen much wing chun but what I have seen seems more practical. Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind

1. I'm old
    2. I'm 6'2"@170lbs
    3. I'm not much of a kicker
    4. No schools in area ( I live on the moon)

Thank's
    If you don't mind telling the board, where are you located? Maybe we can suggest a school... I wouldn't recommend trying to learn TCMA from DVDs, books, etc. Lots of things need to be felt firsthand. So if I were you, I'd go out of my way to find a good teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    How is it that TAI CHI was not the first answer to this question?
    because he said he wanted something practical. While Tai Chi Ch'uan is a very good martial art, not everyone can make it work for selfdefence, which isn't very practical...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    because he said he wanted something practical. While Tai Chi Ch'uan is a very good martial art, not everyone can make it work for selfdefence, which isn't very practical...

That's cause most instructors these days teach the health aspects of it and forego the martial application of the forms.

On that note, I would like to suggest Xing Yi.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Any style can be mis represented in a fashion that is not practical.

With that in mind, I would suggest practical Chen Taiji, and Qikung. However ONLY if you can find a good teacher.

If you are going to learn from DVD, Wing Chun is not a bad choice, and as another pointed out, your boxing background will help keep it very practical.

Reply]
    Nonsense, I was using it to stuff attacks form Kun Tao guys just this weekend with rediculous levels of success.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

Reply]
    Nonsense, I was using it to stuff attacks form Kun Tao guys just this weekend with rediculous levels of success.
    You had a teacher... He'said he "lives on the moon." You can learn tai chi from a video. I even picked up alot about practical uses of tai chi from SPJ's book on the subject... but I had a living, breathing teacher. He has a nice solid background in external stuff; he should be able to pick up quite a bit from videos. But you can't really make internal work in self defence unless you are very experienced in the internal arts and have a teacher to guid you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

for defense, may be street smart and call 911 on cell phone.

for health and fitness,

may be try tai chi or even yoga,

Do you have someone to practice with?