Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Do you have someone to practice with?
    No. I'm all alone I have studied Tai Chi for 10 years and love it but, although I'm sure people out there can use it effectively for self defense. I do it for stress/health. I'm looking into a "Wooden Dummy" and the Wing Chun seems learnable and something I could do for a long time. Thanks for all the suggestions I've got to go and try to learn a vertical punch

Why don't you start studying the Martial side of your Taiji then? Seems kind of silly to spend all that time building your foundation, and then switch to something totally unrelated for self defense. You could get the health and fitness AND fighting abilities from the same system then. It seems darn inefficient to look somewhere else when Taiji is such a powerful fighting system in and of itself. Especially since you have been doing it for so long, you would probably get real world fighting skills much faster with Taiji than anything else at this point. Plus there are a lot of DVDs on Taiji fighting out there already.

I've got to go and try to learn a vertical punch

Reply]
    It should be in your Taiji Quan form already.

I vote for Tai Chi, it's good as you get older, and you learn a lot of cool things. Why not stick with the Judo as well? I've recently discovered the joy of coaching the kiddos. A lot of fun and fulfillment in that. The arts offer a lot of practical value besides just fighting. We laa have to stop fighting one day, but you can still train and randori, just be careful who you work with.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    If you are going to learn from DVD, Wing Chun is not a bad choice,
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young
    I'm looking into a "Wooden Dummy" and the Wing Chun seems learnable and something I could do for a long time.
    Short-hand is passed on by hand to hand transmission...
    Last edited by The Xia; 12-12-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    I'm looking for a MA that I can practice long into old age. I have my Brown belt in Judo and have boxed as an Ametuer. I love both sports but injuries are stopping my training. I'm almost 40 and would like to find an art that is still defense practical and I could dedicate too for the rest of my life. I'm waiting on a wing chun 1st form DVD (that a friend suggested) I ordered it after realizing the shaolin 7 star praying mantis DVD I thought I'd learn wasnt going to happen. Dude was flying all over in it. I havent seen much wing chun but what I have seen seems more practical. Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind

1. I'm old
    2. I'm 6'2"@170lbs
    3. I'm not much of a kicker
    4. No schools in area ( I live on the moon)

Thank's
    YOu do any shooting? you can do that your whole life. Its fun, many options.

This troll sucked you guys in didn't he
    Bless you

I think boredom was more of a factor than anything...work is slow the last few days and since I have sworn of Women for the time being, I have nothing entertaining to post myself, so this seemed to be the most logical outlet.

He had another thread asking about schools in Southern Maryland. I gave a link for Jow Gar. If he's in Southern Maryland, I don't know why he thinks there are no schools there.

get a partner to box,wrestle, with etc learn some xing yi , practise that with your partner, keep it simple

then go to bars every night, dont drink just start fights and try and apply what you learned

you should be fine

there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    because he said he wanted something practical. While Tai Chi Ch'uan is a very good martial art, not everyone can make it work for selfdefence, which isn't very practical...
    As opposed to Wing Chun, which every one can use for self defence straight away? Like, there are no pretenders in Kung Fu in general right?

If practical is what he wants then he’s asking the wrong question (leaving aside the fact that he’s a troll).
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

To the OP:

You are going to learn from Vids? What series of WC vids have you been recommended. I'd like to maybe get them.

All others:

Is there a good series of Tai Chi vids out there you can recommend?

What MA is best suited for vids and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Liokault View Post
    As opposed to Wing Chun, which every one can use for self defence straight away? Like, there are no pretenders in Kung Fu in general right?

If practical is what he wants then he’s asking the wrong question (leaving aside the fact that he’s a troll).
    More likely to find a WC teacher who knows the applications then you are for Tai Chi. Everyone knows and accepts the WC is a martial art. The vast majority of the general public considers Tai Chi to be a manly answer for yoga. These would be the same delusional people who think yoga is just for woman and metrosex uals. Or that martial arts only teachers kids to be bullies.

Unfortunatly, alot of Tai Chi instructors have bought into that and don't teach, and very likely don't know the martial side of thier art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    What MA is best suited for vids and why?
    TROLLLLLLLLLLLL
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response. [1]

Wow, my question is very controversial and looks like I'm baiting people.

Get a life JO