Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts in Anime

Martial arts in Anime

I did a quick search and found various threads I thought it a good idea to have one single thread. As the topic is set forth, what are some of your favorite martial art-themed anime? A lot of it is unreal and sometimes ridiculous but those of us who are anime fans just can't seem to get enough.

Please, let me remind everyone that this is a forum meant for discussion. Each one of us has our own personal opinions.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

1. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    My personal favorite. Every once in awhile, it'll get into "supernatural" stuff, but that's mostly because it's from the main character's perspective, who's a total noob in Martial Arts (so anything the Masters do will seem supernatural.)

2. Fighting Spirit/Hajime No Ippo
    Because Boxing IS a martial art. I like this one because it approaches boxing from a very interesting angle. Again, some of it gets into unrealistic effects, but mostly for the purpose of hyperbole.

3. Ranma 1/2
    Because even though it has fake MA styles, it's still funny and entertaining. For an anime, especially one so old, the fight scenes are very creative, and of good quality. I'm particularly fond of the "Gymnastics Battle."

Those are my personal favorites, though I'm also fond of Avatar, though some people tend to dispute its status as Anime.
    Last edited by BlueTravesty; 12-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

i started a thread like this but had to erase it. do to an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    1. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
    My personal favorite. Every once in awhile, it'll get into "supernatural" stuff, but that's mostly because it's from the main character's perspective, who's a total noob in Martial Arts (so anything the Masters do will seem supernatural.)

2. Fighting Spirit/Hajime No Ippo
    Because Boxing IS a martial art. I like this one because it approaches boxing from a very interesting angle. Again, some of it gets into unrealistic effects, but mostly for the purpose of hyperbole.

3. Ranma 1/2
    Because even though it has fake MA styles, it's still funny and entertaining. For an anime, especially one so old, the fight scenes are very creative, and of good quality. I'm particularly fond of the "Gymnastics Battle."

Those are my personal favorites, though I'm also fond of Avatar, though some people tend to dispute its status as Anime.
    I've heard of boxing (are you referring to Western) being described as a martial art before. Being the sport that it has evolved into today, it is difficult for me to look at it from that point-of-view. It sounds correct though, what you said.

I've yet to see Hajime No Ippo. It is def on my list.

Avatar is a good series from what I saw. I've not been able to keep up with the story. It was deeply influenced by anime, so we can let it slide.

Fake, over-the-top, realistic...it's all good here. I was just curious about what seems to be the favorites among martial artists.

Here are some of mine;
    Street Fighter IIV
    Street Fighter Alpha and Generations
    SF II Animated movie
    Shootfighter Tekken (High School Stories)
    Tekken
    Toshinden
    Ninja Scroll
    Rurouni Kenshin (especially the KYOTO story arc)
    G-Gundam
    Grappler Baki (original movie)
    Hokuto No Ken is a classic
    Virtua Fighter was amusing but I had to see it just once
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i started a thread like this but had to erase it. do to an idiot.
    Sorry to hear about that. Let's hope that doesn't happen again (whatever it was that transpired). What are your thoughts?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

i've been a fan of anime since 93, when my father showed me akira and dragon ball all with no subs just in plain japanese and i ****ing loved i didn;t know what the story was about and i didn't care, i just loved it. dragon ball i pretty much got its simple any nimrod can understand it. as of right now i'm more into reading the mangas of some anime like tenjo tenge which is an amazing peice of work. other anime i like is battle vixens naruto(like the manga better) bleach(they lost me a little with the bonto and then with the other fillers but i still love it), cowboy bebop is an anime i would love to make into a live action film(the killer meets blade runner meets bruce lee). i've always loved anime and i will continue too. people say they don;t like it now because its so popular and i'm like what you don;t like something because its popular thats the stupidest sh!t i ever heard of.

Cool Akira and Dragonball Z

Akira I first saw in '97. It was the old dubbed version but it was a great story and the animation (for an 80's anime) was top-notch (comparable to others made in the same time. Still a classic I watch it every now and then (subbed on DVD of course).

*Doing that helps a little to reinforce my Japanese training.

DBZ...what can I say? I was a fan when it was first released in NA. Now, obviously the fights are ridiculously unrealistic and the story is simple, but it is one of those action-packed animes that are just cool.

What I thought was better though, was the original DragonBall. Syndicated for a short time before DBZ's mega blitz, it had a small following. I was able to catch some of it on all Spanish channels (helped to reinforce my espanol and it was shown UNCUT. I had bought some of the dvds, and the things leading up to the events in Dragonball Z are comical, interesting and somewhat action-packed (since i'm sure you know that they had a better storyline in lieu of over-the-top fights).

I can't believe I forgot to mention this one. Thank you for reminding me.

Anyone else got any favorites?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Akira I first saw in '97. It was the old dubbed version but it was a great story and the animation (for an 80's anime) was top-notch (comparable to others made in the same time. Still a classic I watch it every now and then (subbed on DVD of course).
    the animation for akira has lasted and is good even by today's standards. and is better then alot of the **** out now. the animation that came out recently that had saome amazing art is claymore.

Why does this type of thread keep popping up?

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Because people want to discuss it?

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    the animation for akira has lasted and is good even by today's standards. and is better then alot of the **** out now..

I still about once a week enjoy the soundtrack during training and sometimes at work. Akira was the best.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

Talking

I for one prefer the manga to most anime(because it is cheaper) but I suppose that one of the best martial arts anie I have ever seen was the original Dragonball. Z and GT were good but for my taste the original was the best for me.

In manga, Tenjho Tenge is one of the best martial arts manga out there today. If you havent read it I strongly recommend. There is also one called Kenji which is based on the author's experience with Bajiquan. There is a lot of TMA in that one but you can only get it from Japan. No translation though. Shootfight Tekken(tough) was another great one but one day it just stopped coming out in america. I cant read kanji so I was pretty much screwed. The same for Fist of the Blue Sky(the prequel to Fist of the North Star). It was a great book but unfortunately it seems like only a handful of people wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    I for one prefer the manga to most anime(because it is cheaper) but I suppose that one of the best martial arts anie I have ever seen was the original Dragonball. Z and GT were good but for my taste the original was the best for me.

In manga, Tenjho Tenge is one of the best martial arts manga out there today. If you havent read it I strongly recommend. There is also one called Kenji which is based on the author's experience with Bajiquan. There is a lot of TMA in that one but you can only get it from Japan. No translation though. Shootfight Tekken(tough) was another great one but one day it just stopped coming out in america. I cant read kanji so I was pretty much screwed. The same for Fist of the Blue Sky(the prequel to Fist of the North Star). It was a great book but unfortunately it seems like only a handful of people wanted it.
    yeah tenjo tenge is the best manga out.

because people like talking about. anime is a mainstay here in the states and those of us who have been watching before it was popular are happy. you don't like find you don't have to post.

Well, this is the martial media forum. And this thread is titled "Martial Arts in Anime." Martial Arts is pretty self-explanatory, and Anime is a type of Media. Seems like a good fit to me.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators