Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts in Anime

Gasaraki is rad. Havent watched that in years tho, kinda old school.

I just watched Battle Angel again after a few years of not seeing it.

I am wanting to get into this phase of watching all the old Anime I loved again....such an expensive habit though...unless you pirate

MD Geist 1&2 is sitting on my desk right now though, thats getting watched for sure tonight.

But MD Geist is so increadably hardcore its freaking nuts

Talk about old school....

Gasaraki I never got around to...thanks for reminding [adds it to the list]

Battle Angel I liked but I didn't buy a copy before it went on moratorium. Now it is hard to come by. I bought a subbed VHS but don't want to open it. I hope that the dvd is re-released again.

MD Geist is def old school and hardcore. The first time i saw it was uncut on some independent movie channel. Some would say the animation is a bit dated but it is an old anime.

Wow, I don't remember that much about Death Force. I may just have to take after you and watch it again.

But before that, it's Tekkon Kinkreet and Ex Machina.

Take care.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    MD Geist is def old school and hardcore. The first time i saw it was uncut on some independent movie channel. Some would say the animation is a bit dated but it is an old anime.
    Yep, its up there with Fist of the North Star.

Hero Tales. Definitely Hero Tales. It's a new series by the creator of FMA (totally different though, so if you'd don't like FMA don't let that turn you off.) It's got this really cool "Wuxia" kinda feel to it. What little I've seen of it seems pretty fast paced, too.

Like History's Strongest disciple, someone has probably already found out that I would like it and therefore banned its official licensing in the US
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I have a game called "Rival Schools" that I know was based on an anime... Has anyone seen the anime?
    I consider it my civic duty to respond to any post having to do with Rival Schools. Definitely one of my favorite 3d fighting games. Not technically "the best" but my favorite. (I have the intro theme on my mp3 player)

Unfortunately, while it did sport some Anime cutscenes (the ending was particularly nice,) unfortunately, there was no Rival Schools Anime. FWIW I think it would make an awesome anime series. Udon Comics did, however, produce a Rival Schools "manga" series. I may check it out someday.

Makes me want to dust off my Dreamcast and play Project Justice (the sequel.)
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

actually

the rival school games were based on a manga volcano high which was made into a half decent film and then butchered to death by mtv.

Talking

Fist of the Blue Sky was one of my favorite ones. Unfortunately the manga never went past #4 in the US and the anime was never translated as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    the rival school games were based on a manga volcano high which was made into a half decent film and then butchered to death by mtv.
    I don't think I ever watched the original version of Volcano High. I'll have to put that on my Netflix cue....

Volcano High

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    I don't think I ever watched the original version of Volcano High. I'll have to put that on my Netflix cue....
    I stayed away from the MTV version...well dubs in general.

The dvd (the one I have) sports two versions on a dvd 10 (which is a dvd that has a movie on both sides). Of course one is the original Korean and other is the MTV dub.

Not a bad movie. A few things like editing and scenes involving the main character (you might notice when you see it) bothered me a bit.

The girl sporting the kendo (kumdo) stick was cute.

Rival Schools was a great game and it is a shame that there wasn't an anime to go along with it.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

cool. I'll check out volcano high
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I stayed away from the MTV version...well dubs in general.

The dvd (the one I have) sports two versions on a dvd 10 (which is a dvd that has a movie on both sides). Of course one is the original Korean and other is the MTV dub.

Not a bad movie. A few things like editing and scenes involving the main character (you might notice when you see it) bothered me a bit.

The girl sporting the kendo (kumdo) stick was cute.

Rival Schools was a great game and it is a shame that there wasn't an anime to go along with it.
    Ya stay away from the MTV one, the story is actually changed. Which makes it a bit more confusing.

Well, I guess you have to watch the MTV one, cuz its got snoop dog in it

Of course he plays the mega pimp.

Just thinking of one

One of my favs that I was going to re-watch was Vampire Hunter D. The original (circa 1985) is a classic that really showcased that anime was not just limited a single genre.

It still holds up today imho. I know that one criticism is that it "dated" or whatever word anyone wants to use but it was a great take on an already popular figure in Hollywood. The fight scenes were cool and D's sword was kick a**.

Now, the sequel was just awesome. They took an already good anime and gave it a new look. Everything was raised to another level...animation, story, look and feel. The fighting was intense and the antagonists were very diverse and interesting. Heavy action, great story and nice production values.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Ya stay away from the MTV one, the story is actually changed. Which makes it a bit more confusing.

Well, I guess you have to watch the MTV one, cuz its got snoop dog in it

Of course he plays the mega pimp.
    I noticed that the story was a bit changed (from the little that I decided to check out...and i do stress 'little.'

Eh, not really a Snoop Dog fan.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

One of my favs that I was going to re-watch was Vampire Hunter D. The original (circa 1985) is a classic that really showcased that anime was not just limited a single genre.

It still holds up today imho. I know that one criticism is that it "dated" or whatever word anyone wants to use but it was a great take on an already popular figure in Hollywood. The fight scenes were cool and D's sword was kick a**.

Now, the sequel was just awesome. They took an already good anime and gave it a new look. Everything was raised to another level...animation, story, look and feel. The fighting was intense and the antagonists were very diverse and interesting. Heavy action, great story and nice production values.
    I fully concur.

Have you had an opportunity to read the Vampire Hunter D novels?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Novels

I have not had an opportunity. I don't buy that much manga (hardly) but maybe it would be a good idea. We all know anime adaptations of manga come out a bit different and there is a lot of great stuff there.

I do need to brush up on my kanji reading though.

How far along are you in regards to the graphic novels?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)