Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts in Anime

Yatterman premieres

It's Miike, so it's worthy of attention. Anyone else see Zebraman?
    Premiere of 'Yatterman' film held in Tokyo
    Saturday 28th February, 05:04 AM JST
    TOKYO —

The Japan premiere of a live-action film version of ‘‘Yatterman,’’ a popular Japanese animated television series from the 1970s, was held this week in Tokyo. Actress Kyoko Fukada, 26, and actor and member of pop group Arashi Sho Sakurai, 27, appeared on stage to introduce the film.

Fukada, who plays bad girl Doronjo in a sexy bondage costume, said, “We discussed the costume many times. I was very happy that we finally got the ideal one, though I had to lose weight to fit into it.”

Directed by Takashi Miike, the movie pits Gan-chan, son of a famous toy designer and ‘‘Yatterman No. 1,’’ and his girlfriend Ai-chan, ‘‘Yatterman No. 2,’’ against a trio of villains who are trying to locate a mysterious stone known as the ‘‘Dokuro (Skull) Stone,’’ which is currently split apart. The duo’s large dog-shaped robot, ‘‘Yatter-Wan,’’ battles with robots operated by the villains.

The movie opens in Japan on March 7.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

whoa whoa

It's been a while since anyone's posted here.

I've finished all of Avatar recently and it just blew me away. It makes trying to finish Naruto a bit difficult...as the scale of Avatar was so grand; the story very entertaining, the characters believable and the whole things was just a great phenomenon.

I did not realize Lokhopkuen provided the martial arts inspiration used for the different bending techniques (yeah, I only realized it when someone addressed him by his real name on this forum...sue me). It's an

Other stuff...I had Shura No Toki that I never got to and finished that as well. It started out great but then I sort of lost interest in what was going on and drudged through to the end.

I came upon a jewel named 5 Centimeters Per Second that I am glad I was able to watch. Not martial arts related per say, but something any fan would enjoy. Watch it with a female friend.

Went through the first season of Afro Samurai and that was a cool ride. I had to get past that it was only in English but Mr. Jackson's coolness made the experience very much tolerable.

Anyone watch anything of interest or not recently? It would be nice to hear thoughts.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

naruto is going to lag along with the current sasuke story arc. when it switches back to naruto vs pein it should be awesome again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

pein is dead remember....

ever watch M. D. Geist?

not really martial arts, in the traditional sense, but definately some martial action with this Anime. Its another one that falls into the oldy but goody section.

something about a genetically engineered super human with the perfect reaction to nearly every combat situation imaginable that makes ya go, mmmmmm
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

md geist

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ever watch M. D. Geist?

not really martial arts, in the traditional sense, but definately some martial action with this Anime. Its another one that falls into the oldy but goody section.

something about a genetically engineered super human with the perfect reaction to nearly every combat situation imaginable that makes ya go, mmmmmm
    One of the classics M.D. Geist is. It gets a bad rap for the quality of animation and being dated. The sequel I remember watching...but the first one did leave an impact.

Cashan, Robot Hunter was one that I had watched long time ago.

The 8 Man After oVa was good except that the only one available now is a dubbed one.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Zebraman was pretty cool...

I also agree with the 1st thread:
    史上最強の弟子ケンイチ History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi was awesome!

Aside from those:

The obvious-

Bleach & Naruto are my favorites and the old school Dragon Ball Z but you can't really say those are purely martial arts anime's.

Ranma 1/2 is pretty cool.

Fist of the North Star

X

Samurai Deeper Kyo

Shura no toki

Grappler Baki

Saiyuki

Karas

The Chinese are bringing out some pretty cool anime's as well:

Storm Riders is definitely one of the best!

Just some of my fav's sorry if I posted a lot of the same series as others. (didn't check)
    Nothing is harder to see into than people's nature. The sage looks at subtle phenomena and listens to small voices. This harmonizes the outside with the inside and the inside with the outside.
    --Zhuge Liang--

樱花瓣在飘零 这悲凉的风景
    长袖挥不去一生刀光剑影

Hajime No Ippo is an incredible anime about boxing, which is of course a martial art. They go pretty in depth into techniques, strategies and training methods too. Great anime with a lot of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    pein is dead remember....
    not in the anime
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    naruto is going to lag along with the current sasuke story arc. when it switches back to naruto vs pein it should be awesome again.
    I decided to stop watching the anime and switched entirely to the manga. Great stuff.

same here the naruto manga is ten times better then the anime for some reason. it moves at a better pace.

Shurato TV Series

The Japanese animated series Shurato is about two best friends that study kung fu with the same sifu from a young age. I would say that they were about 6 when they started. They are about 17 when the story starts.

During a kung fu tournament both main characters Shurato and Guy are abducted by the Hindu gods to fight for them.

Shurato is headstrong and outgoing while Guy is self disciplined and wise. Shurato’s favorite weapon is the staff while Guy is seen demonstrating the double straight swords.

Guy’s personality is erased and he is under the direct control of the Indura the god that in this story is trying to become head of his pantheon. He is using Guy to fight Shurato and the well intentioned Gods.

The animation is quite good but the Chinese martial arts and CMA weapons are mostly used only in flashback scenes. In present time they use mystical armor and weapons that are not directly related to CMA.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    same here the naruto manga is ten times better then the anime for some reason. it moves at a better pace.
    the same thing happened to me with the Kenshin series. the manga was WAAAYYY better
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

All I can say is Hajime no Ippo New Challenger is off the hook right now. I just watched ep 24 and I am motivated to go train and fight right now. In ten min or so it willl likely pass. But for a cartoon to get me this amped, all I can say is you guys owe it to yourself to watch it. It's the most motivating anime I've ever watched.

And the manga is great.

you're not the first MAist to recommend that one to me.

ill have to get a hold of it