Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts in Anime

doug, aren't Tenjho Tenge and Battle Vixens pretty much just fan service mangas?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Upskirts and what not.

My favorite anime with martial arts is Ninja Scroll by far. Nothing traditional, just fun.

As far an manga, when I lived in Taiwan, I bought a whole series of the Japanese manga Chuan-Erh (the Chinese translation; I think it's actually "Kenji" in Japanese). Written by Matsuda, who was a student of Liu Yun-Qiao in Taiwan. The kid is a Baji stylist from Japan who eventually travels to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and ends in China. His arch-nemesis is a Chinese gangster in Japan who originally practices Hung Gar, eventually switching to Xinyi Liuhequan in China. There were "guest appearances" during the series of Liu Yun-Qiao, Adam Hsu, Lau Kar-Leung, and many other real-life masters. That manga was definitely my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    doug, aren't Tenjho Tenge and Battle Vixens pretty much just fan service mangas?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Upskirts and what not.
    battle vixens yes. tenjo tenge although it apears that way it is not its a FIGHTER ANIME WITH FAN SERVICE IN IT.sorry for the caps

Hajime No Ippo is my favorite anime and manga. The Anime was discontinued but the manga is still going and still good.
    I still read Naruto also. Both from scanslations, although if I'm impatient, I'll occasionally check out the raws first.
    Grappler Baki was cool in a bloodsport sort of way, and played on perpetuated characteristics of some martial arts. There was another, I think called Shadow Fist or something like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    the animation for akira has lasted and is good even by today's standards. and is better then alot of the **** out now. the animation that came out recently that had saome amazing art is claymore.
    Yes, I do agree with that wholeheartedly about Akira. Katsuhiro Otomo's work always looks good. Steamboy looked great as well. I've heard a lot about Claymore. Must give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by HOKPAIWES View Post
    I still about once a week enjoy the soundtrack during training and sometimes at work. Akira was the best.
    Yeah. I think I bought the CD a while back. Haven't listened to it yet. Only when I watch the anime. The Afro-Japanese beat (what it sounds like). I might add it to my '"tunes for cruising." It would go great with my Initial D music. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    I for one prefer the manga to most anime(because it is cheaper) but I suppose that one of the best martial arts anie I have ever seen was the original Dragonball. Z and GT were good but for my taste the original was the best for me.

In manga, Tenjho Tenge is one of the best martial arts manga out there today. If you havent read it I strongly recommend. There is also one called Kenji which is based on the author's experience with Bajiquan. There is a lot of TMA in that one but you can only get it from Japan. No translation though. Shootfight Tekken(tough) was another great one but one day it just stopped coming out in america. I cant read kanji so I was pretty much screwed. The same for Fist of the Blue Sky(the prequel to Fist of the North Star). It was a great book but unfortunately it seems like only a handful of people wanted it.
    Another anime i forgot to mention. Unfortunately, I have not read the manga yet. I hear that the anime left a lot out, which is usually common. Still a great story but I got confused during all the flashbacks and whatnot. I need to review it again later on.
    Last edited by 冠木侍; 12-10-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Sumimasendesukedo
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Why does this type of thread keep popping up?
    Asked and answered. If you need more elaboration, I will be happy to oblige.

**You are still more than welcome to contribute.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

****, i have been looking for kenji forever now. its the only manga I'm interested in. Where did you people find it!? Apparently it is based on Matsuda's real life experiences, including training with adam hsu, lau kar leung, liu yun qiao etc. I'm dying to read this thing. No one here has heard of it...

Yeah, nothing can replace the original dragon ball. I was raised on that show. I'm also an old street fighter junkie (who would have guessed eh). I was just watching alpha generations the other day, I never noticed how much baji Ryu was doing. It had a big impact on japanese MA, at least in the media.

street fighter:
    I actually found Kenji in Chinese translation in a large indoor market in Taipei, Taiwan that had many vendors who sold Japanese manga. And it was only in 1 or 2 of the stalls that had it. This was way back in around 1990 or '91. I wasn't even aware that anyone in the States even knew about it.

Talking Kenji

I have been looking like crazy for a english translation for mths now. Is there one?

I had heard about on wiki and since then I have decided to find what I could. It is pretty scarce in japanese(from what I saw). I would love to have the whole series even if it wasnt in english. I am sue that I could eventually find someone who wouldnt mind translating it for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you guys talking about ALAN Hsu? He does a lot of TV series. Kenji does sound good. I wouldn't mind seeing it.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Talking Adam Hsu

He is a Bajiquan(as well as many other styles) Sifu out of the bay area(SF). He is responsible for some of the best topics on kung fu out there. A very influential man.

Check out his books: The sword polisher's record and lone sword against the cold cold sky. You can get them both through Plumpub .\

I hope this helps,

WF

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

BTW, I think Adam Hsu moved back to Taipei several years ago, though I heard he returns periodically to the Bay Area to conduct seminars at his school there.

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    I have been looking like crazy for a english translation for mths now. Is there one?

I had heard about on wiki and since then I have decided to find what I could. It is pretty scarce in japanese(from what I saw). I would love to have the whole series even if it wasnt in english. I am sue that I could eventually find someone who wouldnt mind translating it for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you saying you have the japanese version? man, i would kill for this thing. you should see all the funny faces i get when i ask for it here. As soon as I say "chotto furui to omou kedo", everyone tries to sell me akira. " i have akira. do you want akira?". If i wanted akira, i would have asked for akira. koitsumo koitsumo koitsumo...

Anyone know of anywhere in beijing or tianjin that might carry it??? There are quite a few people online that want it. If I ever do find it, i'm scanning it and putting it up. I'll let you know.

Adam Hsu is HUGE. pretty much every baji school in north america is one of his senior students.

On topic, I'm not a fan of whats currently being turned out. The only anime i have enjoyed in a long time is samurai champloo. I didn't finish it, but the fighting was really nice, and stylized. i just cant take all the teen emotionalism, and filler eps. Like in naruto, nothing ever happens. half of it just sad stories, and "i don't feel emotion" .

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    battle vixens yes. tenjo tenge although it apears that way it is not its a FIGHTER ANIME WITH FAN SERVICE IN IT.sorry for the caps

I see. I only caught Tenjho Tenge on FuseTV a couple times. I liked it, though I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Battle Vixens I saw in the Borders, thought the title was funny. Then there was panties galore. Haha. And exploding school girl shirts.