Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: insanity from qigong

Yeah to all that, Scott and taai gihk yahn. Some common sense and following the instructions are probably safe enough in most cases. And don't try to force anything.

But as several have said, a lot of people with new-agey type beliefs are a bit unbalanced. They can easily slide into believing they are some kind of messiah, or having extreme sexual desire or anger, or an amphetemine-like sensation of powerfulness. Or just getting attached to peace and bliss. A lot of destructive charismatic gurus suffer from this disease. It's really obvious to outsiders when a group is led by one of these.

This is why conduct guidelines, precepts, the ten commandments, or whatever you choose to call it should be a prerequisite for training.

I'm speaking from the point of view of my own mistakes too... worth saying.

Also, some of those experiences can be wholesome and rejuvenating as long as they don't get fetishized.
    Last edited by rett; 12-26-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Does anyone know why doing qigong too much or wrong can cause injury or insanity? does anyone ever had any bad side effects from qigong? i never knew the exact reason for this, and it seems this can happen to anyone.
    the short answer: Semen Retention.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Scott, I think that you are very magical and special...does that mean I'm off the deep end?!
    No, it means my plan for world domination is finally coming to fruition..... Nyat.. .. Ah... Ah!!!!!!

And.......

I knew there was a reason I never puled the trigger on you....... I may have further use for you in the near future........standby for instructions.

Meditation and qigong are not always connected. IME, meditation can take the most dedication, and can be one of the most difficult pursuits, but also very worthwhile if you can keep it up with regularity. I'm still trying to get there myself.

I have observed that many (but certainly not all) of the 'new age' types, who often criticize mainstream religions, etc., are every bit as dogmatic and closed-minded in their own ways. They often take up the same attitudes as the religious fundamentalists they say they are different from. I've noticed that many are 'full of themselves', and want to be viewed as being specially chosen and unique...meaning, 'better or more evolved' than you. They believe they've tapped into some wisdom or superhuman power source that is out of reach for the common person.

I draw a parallel between such types and those CMA practitioners who tout 'internal styles' as superior.

I do feel that improper training in anything can result in adverse effects. And in many of the cases, I also feel that one's intent going in can either help or exasperate it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-26-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Also, some of those experiences can be wholesome and rejuvenating as long as they don't get fetishized.
    Hey, what the heck are you saying??? You got a problem with fetishes, bro???
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Psychiatric problems are usually understated on the mainland and many still treat it as 'ghost related or 'spirit possession" so there will be problem with the undiagnosed studying qigong and then the medical and governmental authorities blaming qigong for the problem. As a result, the state apparatus is unable to deal with those with mental health issues,or they just ignore it, hoping things will change. Mass movements from the countryside to the cities creates its own 'health issues" with citizens not realizng or understand the importance of these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have observed that many (but certainly not all) of the 'new age' types, who often criticize mainstream religions, etc., are every bit as dogmatic and closed-minded in their own ways. They often take up the same attitudes as the religious fundamentalists they say they are different from.
    I have noticed the vast majority of all people do this. They just don't understand that political theories, unproven scientific theories, personal beliefs and ideologies, ect. are "religious" in nature and they think of religion only in the conventional sense.

Everybody is an evangelist of some sort...some are just more dedicated than others. Most people don't have the capacity to see that when they are engaging in those exact same activities.
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 12-26-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

I would be in the camp that thinks that if someone claims insanity from something like qigong, then it is more likely the condition pre-existed any practice.

having said that, the Martial arts world has it's fair share of nut bars and fruit cakes who barf up a lot of mystical nonsense.

I am ok with mystical. So long as it is presented as such.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I have noticed the vast majority of all people do this. They just don't understand that political theories, unproven scientific theories, personal beliefs and ideologies, ect. are "religious" in nature and they think of religion only in the conventional sense.

Everybody is an evangelist of some sort...some are just more dedicated than others. Most people don't have the capacity to see that when they are engaging in those exact same activities.
    This is a good point.

Martin Luther once said "Your God is that which you are most afraid to lose." For humans at least, a god can be seen as a function more than a magical mystical person from Mt. Olympus. For some, their god is money, booze, power, sex, drugs, rock & roll whatever. When desire for that sort of experience is paramount, it's not usually conducive to a long, happy life with stable, warm long-term relationships.

There are also people who value mercy, honesty, reciprocity more than anything else. This was the origin of things like the 10 Commandments (before they were written over a hundred times) the Noble Eightfold Path, etc. This sort of function exposes its adherents to less jeopardy than people who worship greed and fear.

So IME qigong psychosis can be a sign of someone who worships a "god" that isn't balanced. Qigong increases energy. If you are unbalanced going in (unless you are being taught by a competent instructor) you will just give energy to your imbalance...

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I would be in the camp that thinks that if someone claims insanity from something like qigong, then it is more likely the condition pre-existed any practice.

having said that, the Martial arts world has it's fair share of nut bars and fruit cakes who barf up a lot of mystical nonsense.

I am ok with mystical. So long as it is presented as such.
    Indeed.

We all know at least some people running schools or quasi-religious cults who want to use such nonsense on the unwary to pull off a scam or two, too.

Aha! Now Science Weighs In On The Problem!!

Spiritual People At Higher Risk Of Mental Health Problems

Of the participants, 35 per cent described themselves as “religious”, meaning they attended a church, mosque, synagogue or temple. Five in six of this group were Christian.

Almost half (46 per cent) described themselves as neither religious nor spiritual, while the 19 per cent remainder said they had spiritual beliefs but did not adhere to a particular religion.

Members of this final group were 77 per cent more likely than the others to be dependent on drugs, 72 per cent more likely to suffer from a phobia, and 50 per cent more likely to have a generalised anxiety disorder.

They were also 40 per cent more likely to be receiving treatment with psychotropic drugs, and at a 37 per cent higher risk of neurotic disorder.

The study was based on a survey of 7,403 randomly selected men and women in England who were questioned about their spiritual and religious beliefs, and mental state.

Qi Gong Sickness

I don't believe Qi Gong will make you mentally ill however it typcally is the person that is mentally ill and practices Qi Gong. I have witnessed several people that thought they were great healers etc and become delusional. They have these small groups almost like cults. Typically there Qi Gong level is not very high however the manipulate some unexpecting individuals who are sick and want some healing. This is just like a cult. It is in religion, New Age, Martial Arts etc. There are a lot of these snake oil saleman in the US and in China. I believe these people should be exposed instead they are embraced.